PDA

View Full Version : Hesitant, but wanting to run pj64

ChemShock
2nd May 2009, 09:46 PM
Awhile back, I had pj64 running decently. with my hardware. I was running it while I had other projects going on that dealt with hardware. Now, when I last played with this emulator, it may or may not of crashed my comp entirely. Since I know all lot more about computers now, I hoping to game with some 64 titles.

I remember being heavily running Banjo-Kazooie and CBFD for like a week, then it just crashed. I want to hear some warning or hopefully reassure I wont lose everything on my laptop. My specs are below, and I've done some testing and to get it to run smoother, I enabled Copy Frame Buffer to RDRAM.

So, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

P.S. First post here so be easy. :)

HatCat
2nd May 2009, 10:00 PM
It might have been a cooler issue with your hardware, or some other software crashed it.

More likely, if you keep CPU usage down by not playing at maximum speed supported by your system, to make a guess, any permanent damage that may be at risk should not be caused by Project64. If something else would cause it, all that could be done to prevent that anyway would be things like an infection scan.

We need more information about why it crashed before we can know whether it is safe.

ChemShock
2nd May 2009, 10:09 PM
Ok, I'm following what you are saying. What type of information do you want me to take note of? And the speed, is that the FPS? Come to think of it, my computer was extremely hot when I did crash it.

Also I do apologize, I'm trying to remember what I did from two years ago.

HatCat
2nd May 2009, 10:15 PM
There are so many things one needs to know to be really sure, and honestly I can't really make a list of all of them.

There have been some cases of cooler failures, so if that was the cause you should try to free up system resources. In Project64 the value for "FPS" should not exceed around 60., and if the System "Limit FPS" option is in effect you should be good.

If you have intensifying settings like "Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM" on however, your system probably will be able to handle less than 60., and whatever that would be is your maximum speed at 100% possible usage around there. Free up your memory by making sure intensive processes outside of Project64 aren't in active use.

ChemShock
2nd May 2009, 10:23 PM
Ok, thanks for the much needed info. My FPS is around 50 and now I have some things to monitor. If I have any issues, I'll be sure to give much better details.

Thanks rswedlow, I'm off to do some gaming with a calmer mind.

ChemShock
3rd May 2009, 07:27 AM
I just wanna say that after a days worth of work, I got the emulator working at what I think is best so far. GoldenEye is still a little awkward though. Rswedlow, I have temp monitors going and Task Manager to keep an eye on things so if it does happen again I can make a full report. With some talking to friends I'm bettering on that my PF Usage crept up on me and then that's what caused it.

You guys made a wonderful product and thanks for putting all the effort into it.

HatCat
3rd May 2009, 07:49 PM
Welcomed any later findings of yours. You've planned things out.

There is some internal timing modification need to be done with GoldenEye.