PDA

View Full Version : Cheats for deactivating Texture Filter

FireWSP
29th May 2017, 08:16 PM
The N64 has a texture filter and this seems activated in every game.
In most games this is fine but a few games should have it off.
Doom 64 and Killer Instinct Gold are two very good candidates.
Both using 2D Sprites and they look horrible when filtered. It even creates some kind of artifacts.

Is it possible to switch the texture filtering off with a GS?
VI filtering can be adjusted, drawaing distance can be changed and also 60fps is possible for some games. Maybe this is also possible. Would be cool.

squall_leonhart
30th May 2017, 03:06 AM
glide64 provides control over this.

FireWSP
30th May 2017, 12:53 PM
sure but this is intended to work on a real N64 like the once for the VI filter.

Frank74
30th May 2017, 02:41 PM
Try setting the filtering mode to force point sampled in Glide64.

Or use GLideN64 and set it to N64-style 3 point.

Latest GLideN64 WIP here :- https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/1364#issuecomment-300204726

FireWSP
30th May 2017, 08:41 PM
Using Glide or a Emulator in general is not the goal. The codes should work on a real N64 in order to improve a few games.

theboy181
31st May 2017, 12:48 AM
Please share your findings. If you make a list of GS cheats I will add them to the archive.

retroben
31st May 2017, 03:22 AM
I wonder,do you also mean the pixel dithering filters as well?
(You know,that ugly mess of pixels like when you have the shining light in Gerudo Temple's highest room before opening the boss door.)

The ones located next to the thing I call Half Frames which actually has a purpose on values other than 01?

Mega Man 64 uses 02 as its value,and forcing it to 01 makes the game run at 60fps with audio desyncs.

FireWSP
31st May 2017, 08:35 PM
@Retroben
sorry I am not quite sure what you mean. Can you show a picture of it?
What I mean is this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/68b624dxv6csfl6/IMG_3350.JPG?dl=0
This picture was taken from a real CRT. The red arrows are marking this strange line. This distortion happens always with 2D Sprites. I think this is because of the filtering. Also because of the filter this sprites are looking to unsharp.
Killer Instinct is also a very good example. It shows the same strange lines on the fighter 2D sprites. Mario Kart 64, Michief Makers, Hexen, Duke Nukem64 or other games with extensive use of 2D sprites could also benefit from it.
The question is if we could switch it off for just intended things or if its only possible to switch it of for the entire game.

Also I would not do this to every game.

retroben
1st June 2017, 07:06 PM
It would be really helpful if someone else could step in and post a picture using a digital television via composite cables to see if its there still.

That might be the N64 texture cache limits,meaning they hooked together more than one texture and that is the end-result.
You would have to hope this isn't the case.

Disabling the dithering filter would probably still help greatly for visual clarity and better depth.
A long while back,I had this 3D depth problem using Glide64 Android via Mupen with GLES2 on a FireTV box,and it had some awful pixel dithering of its own potentially caused by Android in this scenario,but if GLideN64 was used,the depth was so much more crisp as that dithering effect (Android-related) was no longer there.

So...what game/s in particular do you want the filter removed for at least the dithering part?

Found this page on it and the Banjo-Tooie addresses match perfectly to the adjacent of both lines for my Half Frames code for the game.

http://retrorgb.com/n64blur.html

Maybe this IS the solution for it then. :D

theboy181
1st June 2017, 08:59 PM
Why not see why the use of these code look k like with angry lion plugin?

FireWSP
6th June 2017, 12:53 AM
That might be the N64 texture cache limits,meaning they hooked together more than one texture and that is the end-result.
You would have to hope this isn't the case.

Disabling the dithering filter would probably still help greatly for visual clarity and better depth.
A long while back,I had this 3D depth problem using Glide64 Android via Mupen with GLES2 on a FireTV box,and it had some awful pixel dithering of its own potentially caused by Android in this scenario,but if GLideN64 was used,the depth was so much more crisp as that dithering effect (Android-related) was no longer there.

So...what game/s in particular do you want the filter removed for at least the dithering part?

Yes I think you are right, they are putting together several textures.
And if the bilinear filter is applied to each texture it causes GFX errors.

I would suggest to start with Doom 64 and Killer Instinct Gold.
Both would benefit greatly without filtered textures.

About the dither filter, do you mean turning the VI filters off?
Doom64 and Killer Instict Gold do not use most of the VI filter.
Doom64 is running in 32bit depth and does not need a dither filter anyway.