PDA

View Full Version : autosave / last known good save option

cool2289
31st May 2009, 03:06 AM
Would it be possible to enhance the current save option so that while a game is running, project 64 creates a different temporary save every so many minutes or seconds automatically.

For example:
Start a game and project 64 creates temporary save #1 after so many defined seconds or minutes another temporary save is created up to lets say 5, once the next save needs to be created and the max limit (in this case 5) is reached save #1 is written over. This way if you are playing a game and something happens to crash or corrupt your most recent save file, you have 4 others to choose from. The user could also choose how many temporary saves to create and how often to create them. this way you don't have too many extra save files hanging around. I realize that project 64 already has save states I was just wondering if there was a way to automate the process instead of pressing f5 or opening the menu every so often.

I only mention this because while I was playing majoras mask, I went into an area near the deku palace and the audio cut out. I figured that it was a driver/plugin issue so I saved my game using the F5 option from the menu and closed project 64. When I loaded my saved game again the audio was still gone. however when I started from another previous save I made earlier in the game, everything was ok. I have since just passed the area where error occurred and everything seems fine.

squall_leonhart
31st May 2009, 04:37 AM
this would just cause 5 second pauses for every autosave and cause annoying disruption to the game.

HatCat
31st May 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm not quite sure if this is what you want, but does this work if you go to the System menu from Project64's menus? There's a "Current Save State" feature. (You can also just customize the file name each time through "Save As..." option or Ctrl+S.)

zilmar
31st May 2009, 08:03 PM
this would just cause 5 second pauses for every autosave and cause annoying disruption to the game.

it takes 5 seconds for it to create a save for you ?, what about if you turn off auto zip, how long does it take ?

auto save was one of the things I had in the back of mind I would still like to do. I wanted it for two reasons, an auto backup if the emu fails then you have where you last where. I would also like one or up to 10 for the current session so you could rewind the game.

cool2289
31st May 2009, 08:27 PM
thank you everyone for the information.

Squall_Leonhart - I did notice the 5 second pause as well.

rswedlow - that was the feature I mentioned in my post.

zilmar - Exactly what I was thinking of a replay / autosave feature. I think this would help with testing / debugging of plugins and cheats as well. I will try turning off the auto zip feature.

squall_leonhart
1st June 2009, 12:07 AM
it takes 5 seconds for it to create a save for you ?, what about if you turn off auto zip, how long does it take ?

auto save was one of the things I had in the back of mind I would still like to do. I wanted it for two reasons, an auto backup if the emu fails then you have where you last where. I would also like one or up to 10 for the current session so you could rewind the game.

On my older system? 3-5 seconds
on my newer system, probably 1 - 2 seconds.

this last known good save business should just be done when making a new save imo.