PDA

View Full Version : Sync game to Audio

jmf145
3rd June 2009, 12:47 AM
I have two suggestions for problems in 1.6 that I would like fixed in 1.7:
1. The "Sync game to Audio" option should be enabled by default.
2. When "Limit FPS" gets turned on/off the "Sync game to Audio" option should go on/off with it.

sak777
3rd June 2009, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't like that as I don't use that option. I'm sure others would agree with me. Of course, I'm sure people would appreciate being able to save that as a default if they needed it to (as right now it only saves for the game it is set on).

HatCat
4th June 2009, 05:50 AM
When the speed limit is set there can still be crackling in the sound. As far as anything major to make of it, maybe it's just me with my set volume and headphones, but for any leisure play I always find it necessary to complement by using the audio sync option.

Funny that I can't summon from memory old information when I was even more mental, and the actual conversation would be on one of my stolen flash drives.

Excerpt from User Manual
---

"Sync game to Audio"

default setting: disabled
generally recommended setting: disabled

If disabled, the audio plugin will output the audio stream as it is supplied. There will be some degree of "popping" or clicking" as the core speed fluctuates slightly, but the core (and hence gameplay) is not interrupted. The benefits of this - smoother gameplay - probably outweigh the drawbacks for you.

If enabled, the audio plugin will stall (momentarily stop) the emulator when audio data is being supplied faster than it can output cleanly. This will prevent some artifacts, but will have a slight to severe effect on the peformance of the whole system. There are three degrees of severity to the side effects that enabling Sync can produce, which applies depends entirely on the game:

slight (I would think noticeable to most people) loss of smoothness of the whole system* (e.g. Mario64, Zelda, most games)
lowering in VI/s (reduction in speed of whole system*) from the normal value (e.g. 60FPS) to a new value (e.g. 45FPS) (e.g. Ridge Racer, Mario Party 2)
complete stall of the whole system* (e.g. Turok2)

*"whole system" means the whole emulator, not your PC!

Notes:

If you enable "Sync game to Audio" you will not be able to use the speed limiter disable (System menu, shortcut F4) as a "fast forward".
"Sync game to Audio" is very useful in one particular situation: if you want a clean logged audio file (see below).
In v1.5 the "Sync game to Audio" setting is saved per-ROM in the registry.
---

Obviously this is best as an available automation with precaution.
It is clear from these notes then that the changed frame rate as a result of audio synchronization is really a deformation for better sound results.

Did I 'remember' right zilmar, from before? Does anyone have a better function-based understanding to share? The manual has always been focused on qualitative observations in description of resulting effects.

squall_leonhart
4th June 2009, 10:06 AM
1. No.
it should have a global switch to set it to always on or always off or per game, but it should not be always on.
2. Seconded.

sak777
4th June 2009, 02:52 PM
In v1.5 the "Sync game to Audio" setting is saved per-ROM in the registry.

Actually 1.6 does that too.

HatCat
6th June 2009, 03:34 AM
Death strikes. :rolleyes: