PDA

View Full Version : Automatic update feature?

cool2289
6th June 2009, 01:20 AM
I was wondering if it would be possible to add an automatic update feature to project 64, so that the latest stable rom settings , authorized plugins and support files could be downloaded directly to project 64. This would also allow for a spread out distribution of updates and save site bandwidth while still allowing people to choose which files to use for testing purposes.

Thanks for everything you have done with pj64 so far.

squall_leonhart
6th June 2009, 04:00 AM
do not want.

rydian
29th June 2009, 11:40 PM
do not want.Try giving an actual reason next time...

cool2289: An automatic update could actually stress bandwidth more. New versions (I'm talking about non-beta) come out rarely, so checks when the program starts (even if it only checks weekly) could be annoying, with the large number of users.

And when the new version comes out, every avid PJ64 user would be getting it within a short amount of time... not fun for a webmaster.

squall_leonhart
30th June 2009, 12:00 AM
Because it puts additional load on the servers, and also exactly what is it going to update?

the RDB? no thanks, i like to custom set many of my games to run better.

HatCat
30th June 2009, 12:59 AM
The official RDB is lax.

"Automatic" updates should not be automatic. They can be offered, which essentially--so are the linked downloads in the public downloads section.
This does help notify by time when a new release is made.

mudlord/RED
30th June 2009, 01:17 AM
And as I spoken to zilmar about, its useless because its easily nulled. :p

HatCat
30th June 2009, 09:00 PM
Not that you have to hack every damn thing mudlord :D

Gir489
15th July 2009, 08:50 PM
The program hasn't been updated in years. I don't think automation is a good idea.