PDA

View Full Version : surround sound support

wuhlei
7th June 2009, 01:23 AM
this would be sweet!

sak777
8th June 2009, 04:35 PM
this would be sweet!

Isn't it already supported? Well at least with Dolby Pro Logic. It's not like the newer surround sound, but it's still something.

squall_leonhart
9th June 2009, 12:53 AM
the nintendo 64 DOES NOT support any advanced form of surround sound. It is pseudo stereo surround.

jmf145
9th June 2009, 04:08 AM
If you want to have surround sound you are going to need to use a sound card or a receiver that supports Dolby Pro Logic. You are also going to need a game that supports surround sound. This is the best list of those games I could find:

Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
FIFA 98: Road to World Cup
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
International Superstar Soccer '98
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
World Cup 98

Note: This only shows N64 games that have Dolby Surround, some games might have surround sound but didn't pay for the Dolby license.

Topken
9th June 2009, 06:58 AM
hey squall would it be possible to code some something like you guys did for vba-m that inulates surround sound?

squall_leonhart
9th June 2009, 10:09 AM
If you want to have surround sound you are going to need to use a sound card or a receiver that supports Dolby Pro Logic. You are also going to need a game that supports surround sound. This is the best list of those games I could find:

Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
FIFA 98: Road to World Cup
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
International Superstar Soccer '98
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
World Cup 98

Note: This only shows N64 games that have Dolby Surround, some games might have surround sound but didn't pay for the Dolby license.

several of those games don't have Dolby Surround at all and as i said, its a Stereo Pseudo surround. a DPL mixer will also not work as it not a Pro Logic signal.

Pro logic will only output 5.1 if the source is encoded in the PL format. so when set to PL it will only output as stereo.

Prologic 2 is the same as PL1, in that it will only provide proper 5.1 mixing when the audio signal is encoded to DPLII. However it will simulate a 5.1 environment by using advanced mixing. However since as i said, the N64 is only capable of Pseudo surround, It is only a upmixed stereo feed and will not have any positional or environmental audio effects.

squall_leonhart
9th June 2009, 10:12 AM
hey squall would it be possible to code some something like you guys did for vba-m that inulates surround sound?

Most 5.1 sound card drivers already provide a manner to upmix a stereo signal to 5.1,

Creatives drivers call it CMSS2, (older creative cards like the SBLive don't support CMSS2, but mix the front speakers with the rear with some distortion by default.

not sure about realtek's or AD's drivers.

wuhlei
10th June 2009, 06:22 AM
the nintendo 64 DOES NOT support any advanced form of surround sound. It is pseudo stereo surround.

oh thats lame so all the surround sound option in zelda is really just 2 channels with a 4 speaker filter?

eek sorry about this mess I was wondering about that because I seen this in some snes games too. lol I thought japan was had all this surround sound equip before usa.

thanks for the info sorry:eek:

jmf145
10th June 2009, 08:39 AM
several of those games don't have Dolby Surround at all and as i said, its a Stereo Pseudo surround. a DPL mixer will also not work as it not a Pro Logic signal.

Pro logic will only output 5.1 if the source is encoded in the PL format. so when set to PL it will only output as stereo.

Prologic 2 is the same as PL1, in that it will only provide proper 5.1 mixing when the audio signal is encoded to DPLII. However it will simulate a 5.1 environment by using advanced mixing. However since as i said, the N64 is only capable of Pseudo surround, It is only a upmixed stereo feed and will not have any positional or environmental audio effects.

First, Dolby Surround will work on a DPL mixer. Second, when you say "stereo pseudo surround" you make it sound like it's a stereo signal, with no surround information, being converted into 5.1. Where in reality it will give you a single surround channel because the channel is matrix-encoded into the audio. While it is not 5.1 surround sound, it still has some basic surround information (which is left, center, right, and mono surround).

From Dolby's website:
Dolby® Surround is the consumer version of the original Dolby multichannel analog film sound format (Dolby analog and Dolby SR [Spectral Recording]). When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is produced, four channels of audio information—Left, Center, Right, and Mono surround—are matrix-encoded onto two audio tracks. These two tracks are then carried on stereo program sources such as videotapes and TV broadcasts into the home, where they can be decoded by Dolby Pro Logic® to recreate the original four-channel surround sound experience.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/surround.html

Further reading:
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/dolby-sound.html#Dolby_Surround

squall_leonhart
11th June 2009, 02:26 AM
First, Dolby Surround will work on a DPL mixer. Second, when you say "stereo pseudo surround" you make it sound like it's a stereo signal, with no surround information, being converted into 5.1. Where in reality it will give you a single surround channel because the channel is matrix-encoded into the audio. While it is not 5.1 surround sound, it still has some basic surround information (which is left, center, right, and mono surround).

no it won't. DPL mixing only supports DPL, the device must support mixing for dolby surround, otherwise its just stereo.

As it is, sound cards can immitate this now anyway,

jmf145
11th June 2009, 09:09 AM
no it won't. DPL mixing only supports DPL, the device must support mixing for dolby surround, otherwise its just stereo.

And again I point to the quote from Dolby:
Dolby® Surround is the consumer version of the original Dolby multichannel analog film sound format (Dolby analog and Dolby SR [Spectral Recording]). When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is produced, four channels of audio information—Left, Center, Right, and Mono surround—are matrix-encoded onto two audio tracks. These two tracks are then carried on stereo program sources such as videotapes and TV broadcasts into the home, where they can be decoded by Dolby Pro Logic® to recreate the original four-channel surround sound experience.

wuhlei
12th June 2009, 06:06 AM
so the n64 supports dobly and dobly is 4 channels but the emulator doesn't support it correct?

jmf145
12th June 2009, 06:20 AM
so the n64 supports dobly and dobly is 4 channels but the emulator doesn't support it correct?

I think the emulator supports it, since tests on my home 5.1 system seem to work. I remember a thread on Emutalk about this, but I can't find it because the website is down.

wuhlei
12th June 2009, 06:29 AM
cool I have a sound blaster and 5.1 speakers how do I set this up?

squall_leonhart
12th June 2009, 08:17 AM
the soundblaster automatically forces CMSS, its only on newer models where there are actual options for it.

squall_leonhart
12th June 2009, 08:17 AM
I think the emulator supports it, since tests on my home 5.1 system seem to work. I remember a thread on Emutalk about this, but I can't find it because the website is down.

nope, you need to be using a plugin which uses hardware mixing.

Stewie
16th June 2009, 01:34 PM
Most N64 games do have Surround Sound in their option menu, i am not sure if the sound plugin take advantage of this.

squall_leonhart
16th June 2009, 02:26 PM
Dsound 1.6, no
Dsound 1.7, possible.

Azimer audio is the other one that can.

jmf145
17th June 2009, 03:31 PM
Dsound 1.6, no
Dsound 1.7, possible.

Azimer audio is the other one that can.

Because the RSP plugin provides a low level emulated audio output, shouldn't the audio output be exactly like an N64?

squall_leonhart
17th June 2009, 05:12 PM
the rsp might, but the sound plugin doesn't, software mixing does not incorporate the required audio stream.

Unrik
20th May 2013, 04:47 PM
Heya PJ64 community,

To get SURROUND sound with PJ64 :

- use schibo audio plugin 1.2, extremly awesome on surround speakers like Gigaworks 750S on Conker's Bad Fur Day (CBFD), Centre Court Tennis or Diddy Kong Racing. Does not work with some games making no sound and/or making the emulation really slow.
When it works for a game, it is far from the best plugin.

- Zilmar audio plugin but the audio accuracy meet many issues.

- The great and best alternative for Realtek HD audio users : Go on Realtek panel and activate a sound environnement like "generic" "room" or another one than suits you. Only activating a sound environment makes surround from audio plugins.
On Windows XP (unlike Windows 7) we get no surround on internet browser also (youtube for exemple), that fix this as well. =)
I advice Azimer's HLE audio or Shunyuan's HLE Audio or Jabo's audio plugin.

After 4 painful days of project 64 configuration, I can tell that 2.1 provide the best emulation with latest GFX plugins. The issues on CBFD are all solved ! (please desactivate the memory caching or the game will crash on PJ64 2.x then it's PERFECT, better than changing CPU core method into interpreter because it slows down a bit the emulation).
About CBFD the [E] and [U] versions does not share the same default rom options.
The [E] rom works as fine as [U] when desactivating "32 Bit Engine".

Actually, the N64 emulation we get thanks to Jabo, Zilmar and plugin builders makes N64 environment totally AMAZING. Thanks to the forum community as well.

Unrik

shunyuan
21st May 2013, 04:18 AM
I add XAudio2 upmix support to HleAudio plugin, but I didn't have a sound card that can test it. Does someone want to help me to test it?

squall_leonhart
21st May 2013, 04:19 AM
fake surround sound is fake.

shunyuan
21st May 2013, 04:23 AM
- The great and best alternative for Realtek HD audio users : Go on Realtek panel and activate a sound environnement like "generic" "room" or another one than suits you. Only activating a sound environment makes surround from audio plugins.
On Windows XP (unlike Windows 7) we get no surround on internet browser also (youtube for exemple), that fix this as well. =)
I advice Azimer's HLE audio or Shunyuan's HLE Audio or Jabo's audio plugin.

SRS Audio Sandbox is a another alternative.

Unrik
21st May 2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks suanyuan,
that's one more solution for people using 5.1 Up to 7.1 speakers.

With the sound chipset ALC883 from Realtek, I also have nothing new with the XAUDIO2,
I can't test it properly as well.

With Conker's bad Fur Day exemple, I get different surround environment, sure it is upmix from the Creative Gigaworks 750S to use 5.1 on a 7.1 system.

A real 7.1 does not exists, it is an upmix.

Only few movies have 6.1 channels sound, and not really the best ones.

It is "fake".

I get outstanding sound on CBFD with the schibo plugin making sound coming from dinstinct different channel. For exemple, and not the most beautiful one, sorry for that. xD

I get on the poo BGM ingame, each farting coming from :

- front right
- rear left
- front left
- rear right

The sides only plays the same sound as rear (upmix 5.1 from speaker system).

With the alternative I explained, I get each farting on front sides left to right and center.

I totally agree that it's not the best surround experience possible.
Even on the game launch we read that it's based mp3 sound.

But in this game with schibo and the one who bear this audio plugin, the channels works as independant and the quality is enjoybale enough.

In Ocarina of time with alternatives, the Epona's moving sound plays great too.

People can test all of this without spending too much time.

I hope suanyuan will have some feedback from XAUDIO2.

shunyuan
22nd May 2013, 04:40 AM
I have tested Donkey Kong64 with XAudio2 upmix (surround) feature with SRS Audio SandBox, although I don't have a 5.1 sound card, but it works.

Here are the steps (if you already have 5.1 sound card or speaker, then you don't need to install SRS Audio Sandbox):

(1) Install SRS Audio SandBox 1.10.2.0, then you will have a new sound device

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rRRuuwzmSos/UZxCBZEmTPI/AAAAAAAACcQ/Zizt-PU_u7U/w476-h536-no/audio-1.png

(2) Setup your speaker for SRS Audio Sandbox (WDM) device to 5.1

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6w4TV0Ds6H8/UZxCBteFb8I/AAAAAAAACcM/4-xHI_wOhTk/w619-h474-no/audio-2.png

(3) Run SRS Audio SandBox, turn it on

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fDODpRokFPc/UZxCBz6VA6I/AAAAAAAACcU/KlUmGDwjw0o/w420-h231-no/audio-3.png

(4) Enable HleAudio XAudio2 upmix option

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0K1NtL5vpU4/UZxCBz3WHJI/AAAAAAAACcY/gRG0I8pkSjU/w430-h261-no/audio-4.png

(5) Enable Surround for Donkey Kong 64 in game option menu

That's it.

--------
NOTICE
--------
Some user has UAC problem to start the service after install srs audio sandbox on windows 8,
and causes lag of DirectSound. Take your own risk to install this audio driver.

p_025
16th June 2013, 09:31 AM
I'm not completely sure, but I think implementing true surround sound which outputs to 5.1 or 7.1 discrete channels would require HLE audio, something which is extraordinarily hard to implement for very little gain. It would be cool, though.