PDA

View Full Version : Legal Confusions

Kd.
7th June 2009, 04:18 PM
Right, I've got a question.

If I own the cartridge of a game, even if it's pre-owned, is it legal to have a ROM of it?

That's it basically. Any help appreciated.

HatCat
7th June 2009, 07:29 PM
Physically up to you

Kd.
8th June 2009, 05:24 PM
Buh...

What? I'm going to need you to explain that :P.

squall_leonhart
9th June 2009, 12:53 AM
Its up to your interpretation of the law.

zilmar
9th June 2009, 03:30 AM
Here is a good description of the legal side of things:
http://www.overclocked.org/emufaq/EmuFAQ_index.htm

HatCat
9th June 2009, 11:51 AM
People have been following morals, but definitively having the ROM is legal.

Having the software from the ROM chip is by default also legal, but where things get illegal as far as law rejects is actually of the procedure of getting it. (One way to say magically have it without needing to retrieve it would be like, being its creator.)

Depending on what you've read, all possible methods of obtaining the ROM software may be illegal, or some are legal. Law that we may rely here to reference has not much bothered extra time into definition; some option is left to us.

Kd.
9th June 2009, 05:55 PM
Right, so I only break the law for a little bit, but then I'm clear? Kind of like torrenting an album you own? Okay, I think that means I'm fine with emulating the games I have.

Although I am in the UK, which may change things :/.

HatCat
9th June 2009, 06:07 PM
It also depends where you live. This has not been addressed as much in many answers....

I'm a bloody American, but back in some countries in Europe, Russia as well, there's more of a sharing take. The UK is comparatively tight though, and it is capitalist of course.

ipsilonv
10th June 2009, 11:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least for most type of media, only the distribution is illegal (enforceable). Getting it is not illegal even if you don't own it, maybe not "morally" correct, but that's a different thread. This applies to music, videos, video games, etc. So if you just download it, you are fine... if you share it, you are doing something illegal. This is why you have to be careful with torrents and P2P.. in those, you are sharing, not just downloading.

HatCat
11th June 2009, 02:23 AM
I am not trying to challenge your standpoint, but since you have some uncertainty, I wanted to link to a more tense explanation. I'm probably gonna get shot for linking to this, I know, but some people haven't read it.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Kd.
11th June 2009, 04:07 PM
Bah, conflicting viewpoints suck. I've had more 'it's fine' than 'yo' gonna die bee-hatch', so I think that I'll just go for it.

Besides, if they started arresting everyone who downloaded stuff illegally, then half the country would go down :rolleyes:.

ipsilonv
14th June 2009, 12:09 AM
@rswedlow
Thanks for the link, but I don't really care enough about the copyright issue to read it. I buy all my wii games, and I bought a very extensive list of N64 games. I don't feel downloading roms you owned is wrong, no matter what the real legal standpoint is. Zelda OoT might be worth 15 bucks on the virtual console.. but I won't pay for the exact game I already bought.

As a side note though, most of the times what they write is not entirely true. Its not a matter of the type of copyright, it's a matter of what the law states the company can and can't do. The companies a lot of times say things they can't enforce, they are scare tactics. And I know they do this for a fact.

@Kd.
It's a moral question.. it's what you think, not what others think. You have to decide whether it's right or wrong or you don't care. You won't get caught... at least not until we get sucked into a world-wide dictatorship that controls everything. If you are fine with it personally, then do it and don't worry about getting caught, cuz you won't.

Kd.
14th June 2009, 01:28 PM
Right, well I may as well. I mean, I paid my money (about a tenner each, but that's not the point xD) so I'm not paying out again. Besides, there are people with almost the entire N64 catalogue on their hard drives, none of which they own, that are completely fine.

Hell, I know one kid that has 20-odd games on his laptop. Does he own them? "I own most of them *shifty face*".

ipsilonv
15th June 2009, 07:10 AM
Good luck then, my adventurous friend.

Dude28
20th June 2009, 10:26 AM
i don't think nintendo is really bothert about it..
n64 would otherwise (kind of) be dead by now..
its good advertising and that way they can make emulators
for future hand held consoles...

let them figure it out and beta test it...
and maybe then we'll complain a little :)