PDA

View Full Version : Project64 v1.07 question.

egrll
9th June 2009, 12:37 PM
Do I have to pay to get it? Is there a try before you buy thing? Get a week's trial of it and if you like it then you can buy it? If not, how come? I don't see anywhere that I can download a trial, but I read somewhere (Not on this forum.) that there's a trial, so I'm confused.

axcc
9th June 2009, 03:56 PM
you donate to the cause there will be a free one when it's released.

egrll
10th June 2009, 02:08 AM
you donate to the cause there will be a free one when it's released.

Lol. Donate, pay, tomatoe, tomato, but I thought why not have it like when you hire a video game. Try before you buy thing. I did read that the final release might be early to mid 2010. Lol. I just think that if people got a feel of what it is with a trial, then maybe it might get more people to actually buy what it is, or maybe they just can't be bothered waiting for next year and say "Fuck it, I'll just pay for it now.". Lol. The simple fact is if you want it, then you have to give money for it. Maybe there should be a page to compare the two, along with pictures, so if people can't get a trial, atleast they can see what it is that they're getting in this upgraded version. Just my opinion, but I think it's a good one.

Threads: 788, Posts: 8,331, Members: 18,518.

18,518 people times $20. Lol. I seriously doubt that every person payed for it, but what exactly is this new version about mostly? Time that the people have to create what's needed or money to get what's needed or even both? I do wonder how much money's came through to be honest, not that it has anything to do with me. Just curious. =] I've read lots that it has nothing to do with money, so why $20 for such a thing without any comparisons shown against the older version? If there's a page with comparisons shown, could somebody please weblink me, becasue I can't find anything. Thanks. =]

squall_leonhart
10th June 2009, 02:28 AM
If you can't find the comparison threads then......

HatCat
10th June 2009, 03:04 AM
People have registered on the forum, but a few people donated to upgrade their account to have access. (Donations were never high.)

There is no trial version because a beta system is an experimental development for improvements, so it's not an all-around upgrade. Of course, even in a beta, there are usually bound to be new features and stuff, but if you donate, it shows you respect the development. That way beta access is returned from the signal that maybe you want to help out.

By the way, not everyone understands this manner, so this thread is rather reasonable. :)

mudlord/RED
10th June 2009, 08:41 AM
Donate, pay, tomatoe, tomato, but I thought why not have it like when you hire a video game. Try before you buy thing. I did read that the final release might be early to mid 2010. Lol. I just think that if people got a feel of what it is with a trial, then maybe it might get more people to actually buy what it is, or maybe they just can't be bothered waiting for next year and say "Fuck it, I'll just pay for it now.". Lol. The simple fact is if you want it, then you have to give money for it. Maybe there should be a page to compare the two, along with pictures, so if people can't get a trial, atleast they can see what it is that they're getting in this upgraded version. Just my opinion, but I think it's a good one.

Oh, so its another using wanting things for free.

Well:

* I admit what I did in the past was shameful (zilmar knows the details and even the different methods there is....)
* I am not going to do it again. Not for any illegitimate people like yourself. That just...is wrong. Don't lecture me why. I know its wrong since I know personally how zilmar feels about this project. And I feel terrible about what I did. Yes, some reverse engineers have morals. They are not heartless pigs who do everything for the sake of wanting things for free. They do stuff for the intellectual things, not for profit or doing donationware things. There is a difference you know, between shareware and donationware. There is a massive difference.
* Please, relook at what stuff has changed. There's quite a few nice things, like retexturing and a debugger. And there is free alternatives, which do just as good.

The simple fact is if you want it, then you have to give money for it.

And you don't like that. If you don't like it, there's better places than here. Seriously, asking about cracked copies here is asking for hell. Ask somewhere else.. Not here.

That said, thats all I will say. Good luck.

Mdkcheatz
10th June 2009, 05:59 PM
Mudlord is right guys.

Anyway, I especially agree with shareware and donationware being two different things, but I also understand how donations are sometimes abused greatly... something a lot of charity based objectives share in common. Look at the Collegeboard.com: A sure monopoly getting away with murder under the authority of "nonprofit" claims. Who the hell knows where all these 500USD charges are going to. WHO THE HELL KNOWS :eek:

Anyway, Zilmar in particular is barely profitting from this project. And whether he gain money or not, he is still contributing more to the project than he gets back from supporters. He deserses a few 100K going in his direction to spend at his leisure.

Anyway, enough arguing over Zilmar releasing shit for people for free. If I were him I'd can the project just to show all of you that I don't have to do jack. I guess that makes him a better man than me. :D

HatCat
10th June 2009, 08:41 PM
If you want the beta, then go ahead and pirate it. Cracked or not, it's experimental and for pre-development.
If you want to help development, donating would be good.

It's insinuating enough if you take any offense to any leaking of a beta. It proves the developers want to filth your hearts with desire over preliminary designs. That's not what donations are about, and it's what earns the setup the "misunderstanding" of "paying" for the beta.

That's the worst way to put effort into making any rational living off a donations system, is to try to put desire in people. It's heartless and lazy.
Whether or not it will be leaked as a result, it's spiritually wrong to begin with.

I would never start a donation system trying to advertise desire, whether over experimental software or not.

mudlord, you would have known better. I'm almost positive you didn't donate because...say as if solely, you wanted the beta. You have done research, and we, together, wanted to contribute.

mudlord/RED
10th June 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm almost positive you didn't donate because...

Well, I did actually donate. I donated around $30 AUD to the cause, which is more than the minimum.

HatCat
11th June 2009, 01:18 AM
Disappointing.

"I'm almost positive you didn't donate because... "
I meant "because" as to why you donated. I know you donated; I remember things from years back, more than just your post and comment back at EmuTalk.

Now as to whether you understand the rest, maybe we'll never know.
I know you are very different from him. I thought this could have made sense to you.

So, to keep consistent, let's try again with...

It's insinuating enough if you take any offense to any leaking of a beta. It proves the developers want to filth your hearts with desire over preliminary designs.

Let's negate that and throw out the excess.

If you didn't care if your software gets leaked, if it's of a system of donations, that shows that you are not vulnerably reliant on the actual experimental/WIP software as a reason to donate.
It's what the work in progress becomes that counts (a stable version).
If you use what comes before as an excuse, you want them to hold desire in their hearts to encourage them to donate.

In a very limited aspect, there's this thing to compare to, called "false or misleading advertising", in the sense that it's a beta and an inaccurate thing you would want to give to someone for freelance play.

Anyone who doesn't want the beta as an improved thing to pay for though, would donate just for the cause.
If you encourage ill-hearted donations, fine, what have you got to lose when someone leaks it right? To an extent I'm actually not being sarcastic.
Best case scenario, just apprehend it, kinda expect it like zilmar did, can't change the past, moving on, fine. As far as strategy for an income goes, if you're perfectly fine with people being deceived about the beta as a reason to donate just so you can like, live, with some money to survive, it may have some degree of selfishness, but I'm not attacking that.

I'm just saying it's not really a "generous offer"; it's a strategy at best.

Mdkcheatz
16th June 2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I did actually donate. I donated around $30 AUD to the cause, which is more than the minimum.

FYI if anyone is too lazy to pull up conversions 30 AUD = (approx.) 23.78 USD....

And I also agree with RJ, donating for reasons of obtaining access to the beta is okay but most importantly it's the best way to contribute to the project. And personally the beta is useless for gameplay atm but more for research purposes and debugging. So yeah.