PDA

View Full Version : N64 USB controller adapter problems

GameSlave
13th June 2009, 03:42 AM
I just bought a Mayflash N64 controller USB adapter. When i try to configure the controller the buttons i press are not being recognized. I've tried several input plugins and none of them seem to be compatable with this controller adapter. I'm also using an original N64 controller and not some cheap knock off brand. There may be something i'm missing when it comes to configuring it, but with my experience using other emulators it all seems pretty cut and dry. Pick the controller from the drop down menu, set up the buttons. If anyone else is using one of these controller adapter, i'd really appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

CraiZE
27th June 2009, 01:35 AM
Hello,

I also use this Adapter - and it works perfectly fine for me.

I believe, you have Tried USB Gamepad #1, while the Mayflash actually has the controller ports inverted, #1 is infact #2.... So do choose the 2nd Controller, not the first in the dropdown box and then configure away :) It works so nice.

Small Hint: Go calibrate it in System - Gamepad (if you run windows) first, as the analog/C Buttons arent 100% as they should be.

Let me know if this solved it for ya, be nice to know :)

lixo6500
20th July 2009, 06:21 PM
Hey CraiZE,

I'm really intersted in one of those too. Actually I really wanted an
Adaptoid but... you know the deal.

Anyway, I have two questions about this one:
- how is the analogic directional sensitivity? Is as good as in the N64?

- does it support rumble and memory packs? (although I do not intend
to use neighter, it is a very important feauture for heheh)

- has this fine piece of (probably) chinese artwork ever burned your
USB ports? Your computer? Or even worse, you N64 controller????

squall_leonhart
21st July 2009, 10:19 AM
technically.. if the adapter is one control per adapter, the adaptoid drivers should be compatible.

lixo6500
21st July 2009, 06:56 PM
technically.. if the adapter is one control per adapter, the adaptoid drivers should be compatible.
Thanks for the answer but... for which of the 3 questions was it directed?

austintkeller
25th August 2009, 01:04 AM
I have configured the original n64 controller/mayflash USB converter through the joystick controller settings in Windows.

Windows reads the C buttons as Z up/down and Z rotation but none of the emulators I downloaded will read the C buttons.

Elementaro
28th August 2009, 06:02 AM
Yes, I'm having the same problem. The C- buttons are treated as Axis buttons instead of regular buttons. I have gone into my xp controller setting but all I can do is calibrate, not change anything. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

umbreo
5th October 2009, 08:34 AM
I just bought a Mayflash N64 controller USB adapter. When i try to configure the controller the buttons i press are not being recognized. I've tried several input plugins and none of them seem to be compatable with this controller adapter. I'm also using an original N64 controller and not some cheap knock off brand. There may be something i'm missing when it comes to configuring it, but with my experience using other emulators it all seems pretty cut and dry. Pick the controller from the drop down menu, set up the buttons. If anyone else is using one of these controller adapter, i'd really appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

I also just bought this, and can't get it to work at all. Could anyone please give me step-by-step instructions on how I can get this to work? I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou. Also, I'm running Project64 1.6 not the 1.7 Beta. Thanks again

kpop
16th October 2009, 04:14 AM
I also just bought this, and can't get it to work at all. Could anyone please give me step-by-step instructions on how I can get this to work? I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou. Also, I'm running Project64 1.6 not the 1.7 Beta. Thanks again

works fine for me ?

just make sure to go to start > control panel > game controllers. click usb game pad and then click properties. then click settings and calibrate. the 1st motion part is for the joystick. the 2nd part (called z axis) is for the yellow c buttons. the 1st c button set is up and down, and the 2nd is left and right (i think, it really doesnt matter anyway). save this and your done.

i used project 64 1.6. both 'jabos directinput7 1.6' and 'n-rages directinput' plugins recognise the controller fine. just make sure that when you 1st go into the n-rage plugin, go to the devices tab, and pick your controller in the drop down box

im also using win xp.

if you do these steps, and you still cant get the emulator to recognise the controller, then try another controller. if still no joy, then your stuffed :)

Spiros
8th November 2009, 01:30 AM
hey everyone,

im also interested to know about the analog stick sensitivity when using the mayflash n64 to usb adapter, does it feel just responsive in terms of sensitivity with the analog stick as using it on the original n64 console?

uhada
7th April 2011, 07:16 PM
I had the same problem - the application just didn't seem to recognize the joystick.. Though it's actually pretty simple, instead of asking the app to set up the joystick you just have to do it yourself. Remember choosing the joystick from the drop down menu, and that the order is reversed as somebody said, and then simply start programming the keys one by one.

Natch
7th April 2011, 07:59 PM
That may or may not differ with 1.6, which you, of course, must be using.

HatCat
7th April 2011, 09:55 PM
Eh, not automatically. The emulator doesn't have any controller config in it outside the plugin it'd use.

SoAmusing777
10th December 2011, 12:13 AM
I configured my controller in windows, then in the emulator... But, when I press the start button it will not let me skip a cutscene... What's the deal?

ExtremeDude2
10th December 2011, 01:28 AM
1.6, which you, of course, must be using.

I lol'd XD

Mr.64
10th December 2011, 08:44 AM
I configured my controller in windows, then in the emulator... But, when I press the start button it will not let me skip a cutscene... What's the deal?

How to skip cutscenes:
Press L (Conkerís Bad Fur Day and maybe some other games)
Press Start (This skips most intros)
Press F4 (increases speed)

reble
7th March 2012, 08:42 AM
I am having the same problem. os win7

reble
7th March 2012, 11:32 AM
When I ordered the Mayflash N64 controller USB adapter from Amazon I also got s replacment n64 game pad and a usb game pad that looks like a simple small n64 game pad. Neather game pad will work on pj64 and thay won't work on any windows games.

Steve

GotLoveForAll
1st May 2012, 05:29 PM
I just received my MayFlash in the mail from China 15mins ago. Setting up I found that the Player 1/2 ports were reversed and after a little bit of fiddling I got all the buttons to be recognized. Testing on Majora's Mask. Will reply with update soon. :)

GotLoveForAll
1st May 2012, 05:53 PM
Damn. Everything seems to work but I can't get the Dead-zone correct. I keep moving very slow even at dead zone 0%. What gives?

EDIT:
I found the fix after searching the forums.

So the solution I got was going to the Control Panel, running XP, in the top left corner click on Classic View if not in it already, then click on the Game Controllers icon. In there for me my controllers came up as "USB Gamepad." Highlight that and click "Properties," then click "Calibrate," and follow the instructions. When finished, run Project 64 again and all shall be well. Gloriously well.

Also I kept my deadzone at 25% that Project 64 defaulted to and reduced my range to 95% just to allow some room for error. Everything plays great.

ExtremeDude2
1st May 2012, 07:19 PM
Nice, do you have any controller paks? If so do they work?

GotLoveForAll
1st May 2012, 08:03 PM
Nice, do you have any controller paks? If so do they work?

As in memory pak for saves? Yes I do, over 30 in fact. :D How would it work? saves to the pak instead of of PC?

ExtremeDude2
1st May 2012, 10:53 PM
As in memory pak for saves? Yes I do, over 30 in fact. :D How would it work? saves to the pak instead of of PC?

Well actually I dunno :/, try using the adaptoid plugin and see what it does :D, also you got some rumble paks? If so try those too :D

Astral
11th May 2012, 08:29 PM
With my bad START button, I can't even recalibrate my controller. It flickers like crazy. In fact, everything flickers like crazy, but the START button does it even when I'm not pressing it! It's really horrible.

ZigZagGamer
7th June 2012, 03:05 PM
Having trouble getting the GCB to figure out the left trigger is not the Down C button, everytime I try to configure it, it decides it's down C instead of L trigger, Any thoughts?

Strytec
21st April 2013, 08:41 PM
Well this seems to be the place for me to let you know about my issues I've been having as of late.

I'm currently trying to replay OoT on P64, however I've had issues with my controller. I bought a USB adapter, its a cheap one which has been mentioned several times on this forum. Now, I used to use it and it was fine on my old laptop but now when I play the emulator will not recognise the C-buttons on my controller. With N-Rage's plugin it maps it as Z rotation and Z axis + and - respectively, but when I press the actual buttons there is no effect within the game.

However, when I play on my old laptop which has Windows vista there are no discernible issues whatsoever. Is there a solution to this? Have I missed something in the forums?

To me it seems the fact that P64 has allocated and detected the 4 different buttons should be enough for it to work. I'm very confused.

Additionally, I'm using the latest N-Rage release. (V2.3c)

Scootaloo
21st April 2013, 08:57 PM
Strytec: drivers could be the issue (possibly). Sometimes drivers will work great with vista, but may have issues with Windows 7. When you use the controller did you need to install drivers or did you just let plug and play install it?

OWSR
6th May 2013, 07:29 AM
I've tried doing everything so far suggested. I've done the calibration thing, I've tried both ports, the different plugins provided. I even tried using an older version of the program. But still nothing. My computer recognizes the adapter, and I can select USB Gamepad from the dropdown menu but even so when I launch the game, no button presses are registered.

I have no idea what more I can do. I was excited about Project64, and went to the trouble to getting controller and adapter, but now...

redbeard1988
7th May 2013, 12:33 AM
Hello, first this is a great emulator and I have been enjoying getting to use it so far.

I have successfully set up a single controller using the Jabo DirectInput Plugin Version 1.7.0.11. The controller is calibrated and works great with every ROM I have tried. My issue comes in when I try to set up the other 2 controllers I have.

For some reason the emulator will not remember that I have set up controller 2 and 3 AND that I have checked the box indicating that a controller is plugged in. I will go in, set it up, check the plug in box, then close the window. When I return to the configuration page later the settings are gone.

Has anyone else had this problem? If not can someone suggest a next step to fixing this issue? I am using the same adapter that this thread is discussing btw.

Thanks

redbeard1988
7th May 2013, 12:35 AM
This may seem to simple, and you may have already done this, but did you check the "plugged in" box on the controller tab? This was the issue I had when getting my single controller to work the first time.

Kalthos
5th June 2013, 04:14 AM
I am having very similar issues with my USB adapter. With Jabo's (every version) the characters do not run at full speed (with no dead zone and on full range.) While on the other hand N-rag will be perfectly fine except the C buttons are not being read properly in-game. Such as pressing C-up does nothing in DK64 or any other c button for that matter. I have basically tried every possible thing I could.

MajorFoley
20th January 2014, 02:49 PM
works fine for me ?

just make sure to go to start > control panel > game controllers. click usb game pad and then click properties. then click settings and calibrate. the 1st motion part is for the joystick. the 2nd part (called z axis) is for the yellow c buttons. the 1st c button set is up and down, and the 2nd is left and right (i think, it really doesnt matter anyway). save this and your done.

i used project 64 1.6. both 'jabos directinput7 1.6' and 'n-rages directinput' plugins recognise the controller fine. just make sure that when you 1st go into the n-rage plugin, go to the devices tab, and pick your controller in the drop down box

im also using win xp.

if you do these steps, and you still cant get the emulator to recognise the controller, then try another controller. if still no joy, then your stuffed :)

Hi, i seem to also have this issue though, it reads every button just fine except c-down. i have calibrated both joypads in control panel and windows seems to read c-down just fine. but whenever i go to project 64 it refuses to read it. The funny thing is, since i used to use the 360 controller and it had the same button description (Z +) it seems to work during the emulator. I tried another plugin just to see if it worked there and N-Rage plugin seems to work fine but i really don't want to use that if at all possible since id rather use jabodirect

MajorFoley
31st January 2014, 07:06 AM
The calibration trick worked :D!
This works nearly perfect, except the C-down button
All the controls are able to be setup with the exception of one of them, C-down.
I ran the windows configuration and it finds the C-down button so im thinking its just the plugin, i tried something else like N-Rage and it also found it. I was just wondering if someone else had this problem as well and was able to find a solution as i would prefer to use the Jabo direct plugin over any of the others to be honest.

The version im using is Jabo's Directinput 7 1.6

FuzzyQuills
19th May 2014, 12:31 PM
redbeard1988: you do know that if the controller config wipes itself, (this happened to me, but only if i play a ROM) all you do is set it up WHILE THE GAME IS IN PLAY, then close the game. it should work now.

bigd81515
19th December 2016, 10:05 PM
Hello everyone, I have been trying to fix this problem for about a month now. I've had a mayflash adapter for quite a long time now, but only recently has it been giving me problems. No matter what game I run, it is as if the start button is stuck down and the game keeps pausing. I thought it was my controller initially so I bought two new ones, which still didn't fix the problem. I then resorted to buying a new mayflash usb adapter, but the problem still exists. I've been using Sixtyforce on my Macbook Pro 2012 refurbished for over a year, but this became an issue only a month ago. It is not the result of an update either, it just simply started happening one day. I'm at a total loss of what to do. :confused: Help would me highly appreciated.