PDA

View Full Version : failed to allocate memory

RapidPixel
14th June 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but whenever I try to load a rom with pj64vs1.7x(doesn't matter which one) I get an error message that says "failed to allocate memory" and after this happens the only thing I can do in the emulator is exit. I haven't been able to find another person who has had this problem on the forum so I'm quite perplexed as to what may be the cause of the problem.

I have already read the information on the error message @
http://www.pj64-emu.com/manual-and-guides/ but none of these have helped

I can only imagine that it's something super simple that I'm doing wrong.

My Computer
Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC
Running: Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
CPU: (Intel centrino) 2.13GHz
GPU: (nVidia GeForce Go 6600 TE 128M) 128 MB
RAM: 2 GB

squall_leonhart
14th June 2009, 05:26 AM
you running any antivirus apps? i've had this error with both 1.7 and pcsx2, and the problem was the anti-dialer component of Kaspersky 7, 2009 does not have this problem.

RapidPixel
14th June 2009, 07:31 AM
I'm running Avast Antivirus. I tried ending the antivirus and it still came up with the same error message. 1.6 worked fine on my computer, is there a special way I'm supposed to install 1.7x?

I've tried installing it in these ways:
Just extracting it from it's zip file and
Extracting it inside the folder where the PJ64 1.6 was installed.

Both give me the same error message on rom load at the "Byte Swapping Image" stage.

HatCat
14th June 2009, 08:48 AM
I vaguely remember fixing this issue after switching from a WinXP machine to this Vista one.
I also remember freeing up as much RAM as I could helping.

Since you get the error while the byte-swapping progress displayed, maybe changing the byte order of the game would help? Try using Tool64 to change the byte order of the image file.

Attachment.

squall_leonhart
14th June 2009, 12:32 PM
its not the byte order, and its not a lack of ram

the antivirus is loading a component in the memory range required for pj64 to work properly,

Kaspersky and Zonealarm both lock memory ranges that pcsx2 requires.

this problem was introduced in Kaspersky 7.0.1.325 as far as i know,.
It is caused by adialhk.dll being loaded into memory at 0x30000000.

the simplest way to fix this is to rename the file and reboot, the software will still function as norma, except you won't have antidialer protection., not something many of us have a general issue with anyway.

As for Zone Alarm, it is caused by the Email scanner loading into the same or similar range, Both of these also broke Projec64 1.7 which seems to operate in a similar range.

So use Process Explorer, and find out what Antivirus file is being loaded into that particular memory range.

wouldn't ever touch avast with a 10 foot pole though.....

RapidPixel
14th June 2009, 12:58 PM
I've tried Big Endian, Little Endian, and Byteswapped encoded roms all give me the same error, compressed and uncompressed.

--

Thanks I'll try that now

Don't dis Avast though. It's free and it is thorough. Ive been using it for a couple of years now and I haven't had a single problem. I've even used it to fix other people's computers because they had viruses that weren't being caught by their expensive anti virus software. Plus if you don't want to use it anymore it actually uninstalls completely from your computer.

--

This is the closest that Avast gets to that address is 0x20000000, I wouldn't believe that that would be close enough but I guess I never know. I'll continue searching different apps. Process Explorer is a great program. Thanks.

Heck one of Windows Explorers dlls work at address 0x325C0000. So I'm guessing that it would have to be exactly the same address as 0x30000000 or else everyone would have this problem.

--

Ok I checked every exe on my computer to see if there was a single dll in use at that memory address and there was none. About the closest I got was was the one on Windows Explorer which I stated above. Really not sure what the heck is wrong here. Kinda sucks.

Well I'm going to call it a night it's 4:43 over here (I guess I should call that a morning) Thank you for all of your help. Hopefully we will resolve this problem tomorrow.

squall_leonhart
14th June 2009, 08:29 PM
its not a specific address, its an entire memory range that needs to be allocated, from 0x1600000 - 0x500000

only free AV i've ever used is AVG, 7.5 and updated to 8.5 recently.
Other then that, theres Ikarus virus utilities which tends to find alot of stuff. and allows removals in trial mode.

RapidPixel
15th June 2009, 12:04 AM
I would need to kill a lot of needed processes running at that range, including windows explorer which handles opening and closing windows, and the start menu which something that everybody uses. Which would mean everyone would be having this problem.

But I'll try to kill everything that my antivirus is using at that range.

--

I've used AVG and Avast on a really messed up computer, and avast found a whole lot more than AVG. Plus Avast has a boot scanner which can really save a computer that has something terrible on it. It's a really good antivirus especially for the price.

--

Well I'll try to completely uninstall my antivirus and see if that does anything. That would be the most surefire way to know that it is or isn't my anti virus.

--

Defiantly not Avast. I completely uninstalled it and tried the emulator and it still gave me the same error message.
Thanks for all of the help.

Is there perhaps a way to debug the PJ64 Application itself?

squall_leonhart
15th June 2009, 07:11 AM
Windows Explorer is happy to give up memory ranges if they are needed, Can you give a rundown of the applications listed in task manager?

RapidPixel
15th June 2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for responding. I'll post a picture of all of the processes (that's what you meant right?) running on my comp at startup through ProcessExplorer.

--

Here's a link to a picture of all the processes running on startup on my computer
Link (http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/166/a/e/A_lot_of_processes_by_RapidPixel.png)

squall_leonhart
15th June 2009, 11:51 AM
Yep thats what i meant :)

a list of what dll's are loaded by Pj64 would help as well.

RapidPixel
15th June 2009, 11:24 PM
Okay I'll send that over as well.

--

Here's a link to that picture

Link (http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/166/5/1/PJ64_DLL__s_by_RapidPixel.png)

squall_leonhart
16th June 2009, 06:10 AM
try disabling the bonjour service or renaming mdnsnsp.dll

i've never had anything but troubles with that service.

RapidPixel
16th June 2009, 07:47 AM
Nope. Just tried that, didn't work.

squall_leonhart
16th June 2009, 10:51 AM
strange, theres no other files other when windows files in the memory range which would be required.

Ask zilmar to allow you access to the alpha builds,

also what plugins are you using.

RapidPixel
16th June 2009, 12:00 PM
Here's the list of plugins that I am using. They're what load up automatically after you first extract the newest build. But it still doesn't work with the older plugins

Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.53 feb 9 2007
Jabo's DirectSound 1.7
Jabo's DirectInput7 1.7.0.8
RSP Plugin 1.7.0.2
Use High Level GFX checked
Use High Level Audio unchecked

--

How would I go about asking zilmar for the alpha builds?

squall_leonhart
16th June 2009, 02:29 PM
I've msged Zilmar, he'll get to it asap.

Zilmar, when you read this, do you mind posting exactly what the memory range pj64 requires to be allocated?

321liftoff
21st June 2009, 08:25 PM
Using WinXP, ATI Radeon 9200 in clone mode between monitor and TV.

I had the same "Failed to allocate memory" error. Tried Project 64 with the most up-to-date files. Also tried it with 1.7.0.10a. No joy on either...

I disabled clone mode and made my monitor the primary (only) display. Now 1.7 works

Can we get Project 64 1.7 to work with cloned monitors? 1.6 works just fine.

RapidPixel, are you using a similar setup?

RapidPixel
21st June 2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for responding.

I'm using an invidia geforce go 6600 gfx card as I stated on my first post. It has been on single display mode this entire time, although I hadn't ever thought about it so I just tried pj64 on every other display mode, singel, clone, and dualview, but it still didn't work.

I'm not sure what the primary (only) display option is though.

I hope this problem gets resolved. I really want to try out this new emulator. Hopefully we are able to figure out exactly what the prolbem is, so that it doesn't come up for another user.

321liftoff
22nd June 2009, 02:48 AM
I'm not sure what the primary (only) display option is though.

By Primary (only) I meant single display mode. Same thing.

RapidPixel
22nd June 2009, 12:27 PM
Okay, that's what I thought. Just making sure.

-- June 26 2008:

This thread seems to have died.
Is there anybody out there?

RapidPixel
29th June 2009, 12:55 PM
I understand that this is double posting. It’s been about a week since
the last post so I'm sorry but I must not let this simply die.

I certainly would like to know if there is anybody working towards solving
the problem that I am having, because as I stand right now I can do
absolutely nothing about it myself.

I supported this project, and I wish that I could do something to help
even more, but at this moment I feel a little pushed aside. I feel as if I
can do nothing but make a plea to the project managers and hope
someone can track this problem down and eliminate it.

Stewie
29th June 2009, 08:11 PM
I understand that this is double posting. It’s been about a week since
the last post so I'm sorry but I must not let this simply die.

I certainly would like to know if there is anybody working towards solving
the problem that I am having, because as I stand right now I can do
absolutely nothing about it myself.

I supported this project, and I wish that I could do something to help
even more, but at this moment I feel a little pushed aside. I feel as if I
can do nothing but make a plea to the project managers and hope
someone can track this problem down and eliminate it.

Have you tried project 64 1.6 ? try se if same thing happens

if you have 2gb of memory, then disabling protection software and disabling stuff on task manager inst going to do anything at all, i also have 2gb, i can run 20 pj64 1.6 at once.

Stewie
29th June 2009, 08:25 PM
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/656/pj64mad.jpg

12 PJ64 1.6 on a cheap Laptop (see sig) and all 12 pj64 togther used 900-950 mb of memory

squall_leonhart
29th June 2009, 11:56 PM
pj64 shouldn't be using 950MB's of memory D:

it shouldn't even use 100MB's

too many plugins can cause memory leaks....

321liftoff
30th June 2009, 03:41 AM
Okay...so we're losing focus here...

Some interesting results. I received the error while using an ATI Radeon 9200. I put in an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE. Then I put the monitor in clone mode. Loaded up 1.7 and it worked.

Just to recap...

ATI Radeon 9200
1.6 and single display - good
1.6 and clone mode - good
1.7 and single display - good
1.7 and clone mode - error

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE
1.6 and single display - good
1.6 and clone mode - good
1.7 and single display - good
1.7 and clone mode - good

squall_leonhart
30th June 2009, 08:01 AM
Well it can be a driver issue, but the only allocation issues i have seen are when

1. my antivirus locked the range
2. I had certain plugins which causes memory leaks

there plugins caused allocation errors for me
Direct64 v0.5.03.20.dl
mupen64_rsp_hle.dl
and one of mudlords early rice video builds.

alimbourg
30th June 2009, 12:28 PM
Hi people,

I have a dual monitor configuration and was stuck with this 'memory allocation problem': solved it with a bit of procexplorer telling me that 'ultramon', a software designed to help people with dual screen, was hooking the Project64 process (to render some button on top of the P64 window). Kicked it out, restarted (important) Project64 and everything was working fine after that.

I think it's all about process injection in Project64 address space: antivirus, skinning program, malware, whatever...

RapidPixel
2nd July 2009, 07:17 AM
So it looks like we kind of know what the problem is now.
How can we make the emulator work around it. What in
the code is forcing Project 64 to specifically bind to that
memory location?

HatCat
4th July 2009, 08:20 PM
RapidPixel do you see a forum for alpha testing now?
You would then have alpha access. Some of these files are on the main site in the beta downloads section. For other details "View All Files" link

I hope we can find out the other information also.

Have you tried just terminating as many processes as you can though? It's possible for some of them to just warp to other sections.
I wasn't trying to suggest like not enough RAM sorry, although in a rational concept that could be if there is warping.
I would need to kill a lot of needed processes running at that range, including windows explorer which handles opening and closing windows, and the start menu which something that everybody uses. Which would mean everyone would be having this problem.
Hopefully there would be no permanent damage done. If you need Windows Explorer back you can run the task manager for Windows (Ctrl+Alt+Del), File\Run and enter explorer.exe. For other processes outside the system root folder you can still change the directory.

RapidPixel
6th July 2009, 05:20 PM
Ok I'll try going to the alpha testing.
--
Yes I have terminating as many processes as I could. I went into msconfig and disabled everything other than the essintials -- the ones that wouldn't let be disable them, -- my video card, and my audio card. 1.6 worked 1.7.x didn't.
--
Not sure what I'm doing bleary wrong, but it just doesn't like me.
--
I'm using the plugins that are default. I would think that they should work, but I guess I could be wrong.

HatCat
6th July 2009, 11:30 PM
Different plug-ins do different things, so then I would try changing them.

Try using the 1.6 plug-ins. You can get them from the Plugin folder of the 1.6 installation. Copy those files to that of where the beta is to enable using them.

Also try using the No Sound plug-in and Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 for graphics.

RapidPixel
7th July 2009, 02:30 AM
Ok I just tried rolling back to the older plugins and it still
gives me the same error.Thanks for the idea though. I
can serously think of no reason that this is happening.

321liftoff
7th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Interestingly enough, I took out the NVIDIA video card that was working and reinstalled my ATI Radeon 9200 card that was giving me the error. Now the error is not appearing when I run 1.7. Don't know why, though.

Rapidpixel, I know you've got to be frustrated at this point...

HatCat
7th July 2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah RapidPixel, since 1.6 works but the latest 1.7 doesn't let's try specifying that.

Go to the Beta Downloads page clicking "View All Files".
Search for beta files of Project64.exe.

Right now here we go with the site again, but the next time www.pj64-emu.com loads when you do this look for the oldest beta of Project64 (minimal extension of 1.7.x). Since these are closer to 1.6, they may have less chance of giving you the error. They may also be extremely buggy and give you a different error like not recognizing you as a beta member, in which case upgrade.

If you can get any of them to work, see if you can find the latest possible beta that doesn't give you the allocation error. This would likely give more elemental information on your cause.

RapidPixel
7th July 2009, 05:46 PM
Ok I'll try that the next time I can.

HatCat
8th July 2009, 05:23 PM
main site does this because some other client is messing up code so until there is time for investigation zilmar's current option is to restart Apache next time he is online here

zilmar logs on close to daily, so check back at that rate. Even though when this is done the site is good for at least another week I think.

also posting this so your next update does not have to be a double post in this thread

RapidPixel
13th July 2009, 12:26 AM
Ok so every version before 1.7.0.7 gave me the "error failed to allocate memory" plus a "Pj64 beta is for members only" error.

Version 1.7.0.7 and on just gives me the error failed to allocate memory.

HatCat
13th July 2009, 02:32 AM
The set of packages actually doesn't cover that much, but try just updating the individual EXE.
On the beta downloads page there is link "View All Files".
Set the category to "Project64 Binary".

Heck you can even see some of the mods of the 1.6 version; if 1.6 doesn't give you this error I'm sure you're bound to trace some helpful info.

RapidPixel
13th July 2009, 05:11 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by updating the EXE. How would I use these changes to my benefit--to find the problem?

eats7
13th July 2009, 02:49 PM
i am having this same problem on eee pc 1000he connected to a monitor.

HatCat
13th July 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by updating the EXE. How would I use these changes to my benefit--to find the problem?

To download different beta versions of Project64.exe (except the 1.6 version which you know already works).

If you use the very latest--which is the most distant from the public 1.6 version, that version where you don't get this error--you aren't necessarily likely to find this error gone.

By finding the latest version of the beta that does not give you the failed allocate memory error, (Start off with the oldest beta 1.7.0.21.) the aim is not [entirely] to leave you with such an old version that still works--as much as it is to find where in the beta development such a dominant case of the memory allocation error was introduced. The developers can undo this change...if we only can identify how exactly it happens for you. See it affects people differently, but at the very least for your case, your use of the different Project64.exe files will either demonstrate what change this was that they made...or in the case that absolutely all beta files give you the error where 1.6 doesn't, well that's another level of information.

I figured anything's better than just leaving you to wait, when we can at least try to get more information.
If you're up for my idea try the "View All Files" link searching for "Project64 Binary". The packages you were downloading before from the direct beta downloads page is roughly a portion of the entire development span.

i am having this same problem on eee pc 1000he connected to a monitor.

As for what is not left in this thread I will just copy the notes from the site's support section.

---From manual-and-guides/
This error should rarely appear in PJ64 v1.6 since the resource usage was made lower, so if you're using an older version please upgrade to v1.6 or later
If you still see the error, we suggest you try the following in this order. Try running Project64 after each step:

Free as much RAM as possible (preferably over 100MB) by shutting down unneeded processes.
Make sure you have set a large permanent Windows swapfile (preferably over 512MB).
If you use WindowsXP try using a Windows compatibility mode (right click on Project64.exe > Properties > Compatibility. Choose e.g. Windows 98, and press OK). Or if you are using a compatibilty mode, try not using one, or using a different one.
You could try running a "RAM freeing/compacting" type program for example FreeRAM XP Pro (http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=Freeram+XP+Pro&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go%21+) (this is not an endorsement of this particular software).
Try removing any spyware on your computer with a spyware removal pograms sych as Ad-Aware or Spybot.
Some users report that Windows XP Hotfix - KB828741 or KB841356 causes this error, you could try uninstalling that (though we are not responsible for any security implications of doing this!). Others say installing SP2 for WinXP fixed this problem.
If you use a program called MSN Plus! or Messenger Plus try closing them. Also other IM programs.
Some users report uninstalling Logitch Mouseware fixed this problem.
If you use a Win9x based OS (Win98,WinME) some users suggest you should probably upgrade to WinXP.

---end notes

RapidPixel
14th July 2009, 11:38 AM
Okay, I've tried 1.7.0.23. (the one that starts off as only a binary exe file)
It gives me the same error as all the others before 1.7.0.7. "The Failed to Allocate"
and the "For members only" error.

HatCat
15th July 2009, 02:38 AM
For me there is also 1.7.0.21, but b23 comes straight after that for me.

I should have been more clear about those older versions. Because some of the error messages are delayed and incorrectly followed up on, there is a good deal of inaccuracy in judging their results. the beta members error being one of those illustrations of the earliest beta results
I actually got the failed to allocate error too randomly on those older builds.

Try actually jumping up to builds 36, 44, and 45 on the main site.
when you can

And needless to say, how patient you've been on this
This error has definitely been a plague; I am just sorry you should have to be one of the lucky few here.

When you have tested those three versions of the EXE for certain, this is still a good deal of information, so as far as the current supply, I am done.
I would think about those nine points Smiff collected in that last post I made, all of which seem at least related to what you have tried but might still have other meaning.

IceTea
3rd August 2009, 04:21 AM
I used Project 1.7 and I have that error too.
I went to Control Panel and saw Project64.exe (v1.7055) crashed on memory 0x0002f6a9.
I tried to use Process Explorer,too,but I cannot find any process blocking memory 0x0002f6a9.
I get an error and I found a debugger menu on PJ64.
I also get a log file in folder project64/logs folder.
I don't know what it means.
Here is the log

wwitthoff1
3rd August 2009, 08:01 AM
Hey all, I get the same error if I have both my laptop screen and my external monitor both displaying (clone view). However if I switch to just one head being active and reboot pj64 1.7.0.10a it works. Must be something within either Windows or the NVIDIA dual monitor thingy (for lack of a better term).

IceTea
4th August 2009, 02:43 AM
Hi,I solved my problem by moving all the files except the .sra ones in the save folder.
It make my PJ64 works. Maybe the instant save makes the PJ64 memory leak.
To use instant save just move the files out of the save folder and put them in after you start the game.
Does it work on your computer?

malva00
14th August 2009, 11:17 AM
That's funny I get the "not enough memory for jump table" error followed by "failed to allocate memory" when I try to load project64k or normal 1.4. Someone in an old topic(google search) said this error(for 1.4) might have been due to a windows update.

I have no problems with 1.7 or any other though

HatCat
15th August 2009, 01:46 AM
I see this error is undocumented in public support--which suggests this jump table optimization is specific to version 1.4. Another hint at this lies in that from the search only users of those related versions witness this.

The CHM specific to version 1.4 makes no mention of this problem though along with others. I imagine only zilmar knows about this uniquity.

I found the EmuTalk reference tracing relation between an update for Windows and hardware chip sets, from squall leonhart's notes.
I can say I have used Windows Vista for more than a couple years and have not been able to reproduce this.

To this tester, do you get this result when using Azimer's mod of Project64 1.4 (http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=15514)?

Cupcake6490
17th August 2009, 09:31 PM
I recently had this same problem on my pc as well, then pj64 stopped working and had to close the program. :mad:

p64mario
18th December 2009, 10:05 PM
This error drove me nuts until I guessed that I may have some hidden spyware that was occupying a hidden piece of memory that Project 64 was trying to access. Although I have been running anti virus and anti spyware products some how I managed to pick up "Trojan-spy.zbot.yeth". After removing it with Spyware Doctor Project 64 started working again. I can only assume that it tries to hide somewhere in memory and Project 64 clashes with it and prevents Project 64 from running.