PDA

View Full Version : what quesions should the installer ask?

Smiff_
3rd October 2008, 05:59 AM
how about pages in the installer wizard that say:

------------------

"ROM folder setup:

Note: PJ64 does not include any games!**

(*) I already have a folder of roms i'd like PJ64 to use <-if selected open folder browser
(*) I will add roms to my PJ64 folder later

You can change the folder later under Options > Settings > Folders"

---------

"ROM assocation:

(*) Associate common N64 ROM extensions (.v64,.z64,.n64 files) with PJ64
(*) No thanks, I compress ROMs (.zip,.7z files) or I prefer to load ROMs from within PJ64"

--------------------

"Official Updates

(*) Check for updated ROM Database now (recommended)
(*) I'll update my RDB later (download is available from pj64-emu.com)"

(can we make a permanent link, or even register a URL for this like pj64updates.com - a downloaded in the installer like Spring (http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Download)uses would be even cooler.)

----------------------

Input setup

(*) Configure Player 1's controls now
(*) I'll set up controllers later (located under Options > Configure input plugin)

[might be technically not-doable, if the plugins are not initialised yet!]

------------------------

** is there are good small freeware N64 game we can bundle with PJ64 .. maybe as optional download in installer to not increase filesize. might be nice for total newbs.

add your own ideas here and we'll have a vote on it or something :p

Smiff_
3rd October 2008, 07:08 AM
i know this is something to do much nearer release, just want to make a few notes before forgetting :p

mudlord
3rd October 2008, 08:47 AM
Since we are talking installer here....Any chance of it being NSIS based?

Smiff_
3rd October 2008, 08:50 AM
i've used NSIS before (the 1.5 update pack used it), but any reason in particular you want NSIS used?

Smiff_
3rd October 2008, 09:02 AM
some of this should be added to the first run wizard (Where only the language is currently set), not the installer.

zilmar
3rd October 2008, 10:25 AM
ROM folder setup:
Wanted to do something similar to language where you choose the dir on first install.

ROM assocation:
We should do a poll of how many people use uncompressed roms. I really do not think it is that many.

Official Updates:
Aiming that the public release will be something of a final version. So do not really expect updates. It might be more appropriate for pj64 to detect those updates for the beta then the final version.

Input setup
Similar to language .. maybe auto ask .. but a user should be able to go to the menu and configure it ... More inclined for basic mode to remove the idea of plugins. Just have the menu text of controller setup, instead of configure input plugin.

NSIS:
was thinking of looking in to this .. actually I wanted to change the beta to a NSIS installer, instead of a zip file.. but that can wait till I get the next beta build out.

mudlord
3rd October 2008, 11:39 AM
i've used NSIS before (the 1.5 update pack used it), but any reason in particular you want NSIS used?

Well there's plenty of reasons:

* Fully scriptable (so zilmar could easily add customized dialogs if needs be)
* Command line based (which helps server side, though I am not 100% sure how the beta packaging system works)
* Less bloat than Windows Installer/InstallShield

HatCat
3rd October 2008, 10:12 PM
"We should do a poll of how many people use uncompressed roms. I really do not think it is that many."

It's not just people who torrent or use backup devices that have unarchived images; every site hosting them for download from what I've seen either has multiple versions per archive (7z-compressed often) needing to be extracted or is a quick download site that doesn't have all the games because of legal persecution. The poll would fail.

SGi
4th October 2008, 01:06 AM
** is there are good small freeware N64 game we can bundle with PJ64 .. maybe as optional download in installer to not increase filesize. might be nice for total newbs.
or a demo that will be made exclusively for project64

i know it'll probably not happen but it would be nice if pj64 had it's own showcasing demo

squall_leonhart
7th October 2008, 06:18 PM
I would much prefer a simple Zip file. Installers just add useless uninstallers to my already insanely large add/remove list, and half the time i move the emulator and roms across a multitude of pc's anyway.

zilmar
7th October 2008, 07:22 PM
I would much prefer a simple Zip file. Installers just add useless uninstallers to my already insanely large add/remove list, and half the time i move the emulator and roms across a multitude of pc's anyway.

I think installers are nice to be able to install/uninstall easily when your not that use to maintaining things your self. PJ64 is designed that it does not need an installer and you can just copy it around. Even more so now with all settings in a cfg file.

The main reason we had the uninstaller before was to be able to clean up the registry.

squall_leonhart
7th October 2008, 07:45 PM
Generally, the point of moving to the ini was to get the settings out of the registry, if you make a installer, you're just registry entries back into it.

Though i know you can make low profile installers using NSIS and Innosetup, which don't create uninstall keys.