PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core Support

Stewie
22nd June 2009, 08:18 AM
My request is for future pj64 to take advantage of dual/quad core processors.
n64-Core/rsp/graphics could all be shoved to a diffrent cpu cores.

squall_leonhart
22nd June 2009, 11:36 AM
are you going to write the intricate thread synching code required to maintain synchronisation between the RDP, RCP and RSP?

f0xh4x0r
31st July 2009, 11:27 PM
Squall should stop trying to raise his post count and reply with something helpful. You must have been the kid that no one liked growing up eh?

Dual core support probably won't happen because it wouldnt be that useful. This may happen in the future when the devs get bored, if the devs get bored.

pj64u000
1st August 2009, 03:48 AM
Dual core support for PJ64 doesn't really make much sense since most dual core processor are already powerful enough that just one core is more than capable of emulating Nintendo 64 games.

HatCat
1st August 2009, 03:50 AM
lol I like to get bored so that it reminds me of what I could be accomplishing.
Then everything is Fun! yayz

Um on the thread, speed should come last.

squall_leonhart
1st August 2009, 09:32 AM
ha, infact you couldn't be more wrong.

my question still stands.
is the op going to write the intricate and impossible thread sync sequencer that maintains the synchronisation of the 3 cores.

cdoublejj
2nd August 2009, 06:32 PM
why stop at 3 why not 4? i think dual core support would be nice too if needed there are some older slower dual cores and if running at higher resolutions it might help, but what do i know just my 2 cents.

squall_leonhart
3rd August 2009, 04:31 AM
Resolutions are entirely GPU dependant on PJ64.

the benefits of HLE.

pcvii
3rd August 2009, 03:58 PM
I was thinking if one core is fast enough for all the games. If this was threaded how much faster would it run on a quad core CPU? Maybe if they just threaded one of the plug-ins to take advantage of the multiple cores for some of the more complicated stuff. *shrugs*

daaceking
11th August 2009, 01:50 PM
i really think multi core is a good idea. i have a solid 3 ghz processor which can run games without AA enabled. also anisotropic filtering is disabled screen size is 1280x800 (max). in mario party games (not mini games), my fps is around 30. slightly less smooth. if it was multicore i could enable aa and anisotropic.

also, on a second system, while playing perfect dark, it runs slowly and it only uses about half cpu. bug?!?

does vram make a big difference? i have a slow pc which had problems running project64. i upgraded video card to ati hd series 512 ram and i could change the res to maximum and still perfectly smooth. originally it was 640x480 now it's 1280x1024. still no aa and anisotropic. slows it down. that's why i'm suggesting multicore to be a good idea. give it some serious consideration.

i reckon it should come before 1.7 because it's taking ages. release it version 1.65:p

squall_leonhart
11th August 2009, 09:52 PM
i really think multi core is a good idea. i have a solid 3 ghz processor which can run games without AA enabled. also anisotropic filtering is disabled screen size is 1280x800 (max). in mario party games (not mini games), my fps is around 30. slightly less smooth. if it was multicore i could enable aa and anisotropic.

also, on a second system, while playing perfect dark, it runs slowly and it only uses about half cpu. bug?!?

does vram make a big difference? i have a slow pc which had problems running project64. i upgraded video card to ati hd series 512 ram and i could change the res to maximum and still perfectly smooth. originally it was 640x480 now it's 1280x1024. still no aa and anisotropic. slows it down. that's why i'm suggesting multicore to be a good idea. give it some serious consideration.

i reckon it should come before 1.7 because it's taking ages. release it version 1.65:p

AA and AF are GPU dependant. multicore is not going to make AA/AF work any faster.

mud
12th August 2009, 10:57 AM
I think multithreading is already done: PJ64 is already multithreaded.

Not much more than you can do.

hhoopllaa
12th August 2009, 05:47 PM
hi hows it goin

daaceking
25th October 2009, 03:43 AM
i know quad will be hard. but is dual really gonna be alot of work? the way i see it, is considering 1.7 is being made from scatch, if dual support will yield a decent amount of extra speed AND isn't too difficult, maybe the legendary team pj64 should give it a shot.

i'm happy with the current version of the emu but i don't like the delay bug in banjo tooie and ever since they 'fixed' a delay thing in mario kart. the delay bug has been bugging me! it was fine before. puts me off playing that.

squall_leonhart
25th October 2009, 03:45 AM
It won't provide extra speed.

primeoj
25th October 2009, 07:03 AM
why wont it speed up the game???

Thomas
25th October 2009, 11:53 AM
I forget what its called but there was a low level GFX plugin that utilised multi threading. Totally non official and worked painfully slow but it actually did some things really well. I totally forgot what it was called. Z something? sorry don't think I have been on here in years. It will not speed anything up though.

HatCat
25th October 2009, 06:23 PM
ziggy wrote the plug-in, but there wasn't a consistent name for it.
z64gl/z64 Graphics

squall_leonhart
26th October 2009, 11:40 PM
why wont it speed up the game???

because the limitations of most games is via execution issues and not performance issues.

nodmanbill
30th November 2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe we should stop worrying about "multi core support and look more towards make the program itself 64 bit so ppl with the x64 windows can play to the fullest and at 64 bit the games will be running at their native capacity be a big step forward for emulating a 64 bit council

squall_leonhart
30th November 2009, 08:18 PM
It has already been explained why N64 emulation has no place going to x64 elsewhere.

The fact that the majority of plugins which no longer see improvements made will be rendered incompatible.

daaceking
1st December 2009, 02:40 AM
i have no idea why x64 is better than x86. i have an x64 so don't start saying i don't know anything, afterall, experience is a big part of knowledge.

i know it has a bigger ram limit and emu say they are naturally faster, but why? to be honest x86 was great and btw, you just can't beat xp, vista is rubbish.

squall_leonhart
1st December 2009, 08:14 PM
x64 only offers performance increases where the hardware is natively 64bit. the n64 has a few 64bit interconnects but is still limited by 32bit connectivity where it matters most.

NickF1227
4th December 2009, 06:33 PM
I think its rather funny how Squall is the only one who has an ounce of clue in these forums, and the rest of you all take that as an insult and claim he's doing it to increase his post count.

squall_leonhart
4th December 2009, 11:08 PM
Well im not rewriting the nrage plugin for X64 :P

NickF1227
5th December 2009, 04:14 AM
There's no reason to.

Albie
23rd April 2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not an emulation savvy, but multicore is useless and a complete waste of time and effort. Your slowdown problem has to do with core optimization, not your PC speed.

cdoublejj
4th March 2013, 10:27 PM
Dual core support for PJ64 doesn't really make much sense since most dual core processor are already powerful enough that just one core is more than capable of emulating Nintendo 64 games.

yeah but, now with talk of wine coming to android. Now with CPUs like the intel atom or AMD e350 or c50. i could possibly see a need for it but, i think it'c capable of running on single pentium 4 thread, possibly Pentium 3 though i never got it running under windows 98 to test that.

it may not ever need more than 1 core to run smoothly.

dsx_
4th March 2013, 11:42 PM
tested Project64 2.0 on my pentium 3 the other day (750MHz, windows xp), works at full speed with most games =D