PDA

View Full Version : Best System Specs

magmarock64
22nd June 2009, 12:44 PM
Hello there Iím about to upgrade my PC for, emulation my current system specs are

ďAMD 6000+ dual core with 8 Gig of ram and a 9800GT with 1 Gig of video ramĒ

As I might of mentioned before Iíve have had issues with Perfect Dark, and other emulators, so Iím wanting to upgrade my PC so I can use interpreter not just with PJ but also others like Dolphin for intense. So Iím asking what type of processor is best for this sort of thing, and what should I priorities speed or power please help me decide.

squall_leonhart
22nd June 2009, 10:21 PM
if that system can't run perfect dark, then something is wrong.

magmarock64
23rd June 2009, 01:44 AM
Perfect Dark freezes quite often so I try to use interpreter on CF 1 and it really isn't playable everything else is fine.

Stewie
28th June 2009, 08:56 AM
Hello there Iím about to upgrade my PC for, emulation my current system specs are

ďAMD 6000+ dual core with 8 Gig of ram and a 9800GT with 1 Gig of video ramĒ

As I might of mentioned before Iíve have had issues with Perfect Dark, and other emulators, so Iím wanting to upgrade my PC so I can use interpreter not just with PJ but also others like Dolphin for intense. So Iím asking what type of processor is best for this sort of thing, and what should I priorities speed or power please help me decide.

well if its just a processor upgrade, then an AMD Phenom II Processor is recommended
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=97
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=83
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=86
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=85
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=28&p2=88

All the Phenoms i have found outperform Athlon64 6000 and the prices are always cheap with AMD

Graphics card dont need updates since emulators are more CPU Based
Memory is more then enough

magmarock64
28th June 2009, 08:49 PM
Well thanks for that. But I found out that other programs I use might not like a phenom so I'm getting a 6400 now, then getting an I7 or something similar in the Future. Thanks again please let me know if you have any other ideas.:)

Mdkcheatz
29th June 2009, 02:52 AM
O_O I have what you may say as the most disgraceful specs ever and even I can run perfect dark without issue.

magmarock64
29th June 2009, 11:05 AM
O_O I have what you may say as the most disgraceful specs ever and even I can run perfect dark without issue.

Is that so. Well don't you worry about a thing my friend we can fix that.;)
First I need to give you a save state file that I cant seem to attach to this forum for some reason. If you send me your email address via private message I will send you the file

archlvt
4th July 2009, 05:59 AM
Do NOT under any circumstances upgrade your pc right now. It is way overpowered for anything on the market right now, it would be a waste of money.

I would have said some games just plain don't agree with your emulator (I could never get paper mario 64 to work, I get a crash bug in toad town coming back from the star summit that's unavoidable), but since someone else mentioned that they had it working fine, it means it's capable of working.

The first thing you should do is to try downloading from another source. I like to use romulation. There's a few other possibilities that we can knock out quickly. Go to your video card's company's website and download the latest driver (which you should do anyway, it helps with a lot of things, and solves lag in MMOs I find).

Just whatever you do don't upgrade, total waste of money. Your machine is more than capable of running this.

I'm running an inspiron 530, 2 gb ram, dual core 2.33 ghz, geforce 8600gt 512 mb, and I run the n64 at max settings with full anti aliasing with no problems. Ontop of that, I can run it with a bajillion other programs open, including broadcasting my desktop live on the net. I'm on Vista as well. Your pc is fine.

If my suggestions don't work you can always come back and brainstorm with me.

magmarock64
4th July 2009, 10:05 AM
the problem is not that I can't run Perfect Dark, because I can, it's that I have issues ruining it on Interpreter. Perfect Dark "runs" fine on Recompiler but it randomly freezes I was told ruining on Interpreter mite fix this, it doesn't. Anyway I already upgrade my PC from a 6000 to a 6400 a small and cheap upgrade that will do me fine until the I7 is more affordable or something slimier comes out I am very much a wait and see kind of guy. As for brainstorming that sounds like fun if you or anyone else is willing to help me with Perfect Dark that would great.

HatCat
4th July 2009, 06:59 PM

Is that so. Well don't you worry about a thing my friend we can fix that.;)
First I need to give you a save state file that I cant seem to attach to this forum for some reason. If you send me your email address via private message I will send you the file

Don't waste your time on him. He knows even less about low-end hardware than I do; his system is fine that much I know.

Perfect Dark freezes quite often so I try to use interpreter on CF 1 and it really isn't playable everything else is fine.

Don't worry about setting CF. This control is inapplicable when using the interpreter, so your setting will only make a difference in re-compilation.

the problem is not that I can't run Perfect Dark, because I can, it's that I have issues ruining it on Interpreter. Perfect Dark "runs" fine on Recompiler but it randomly freezes I was told ruining on Interpreter mite fix this, it doesn't. Anyway I already upgrade my PC from a 6000 to a 6400 a small and cheap upgrade that will do me fine until the I7 is more affordable or something slimier comes out I am very much a wait and see kind of guy. As for brainstorming that sounds like fun if you or anyone else is willing to help me with Perfect Dark that would great.

If anyone is interested I recreated a save state of an example of what he means.
No configurations supported in version 1.6 except using the interpreter prevent some frequency of a hang in memory in transition between levels. After a couple tries I couldn't reproduce this, but this guy is apparently affected.

What issues remain when using the interpreter style?
If we use any cheats (Ctrl+C while playing) this can sometimes crash the interpreter as well.

Squall Leonhart would know about other settings for using the interpreter better, but as far as upgrading hardware, the interpreter will naturally be intensive.

magmarock64
5th July 2009, 01:18 AM
The easiest way to see if the problem is still there is to let the game fun for while. You know that ingame movie that starts at the end the PD logo it will freeze at the end of that. What I usually do is let it run in a loop with the sound off for while and see what happins.

HatCat
5th July 2009, 07:25 PM
As of late all I see after waiting for the intro logo to dissolve is a looping scene of the text "Perfect Dark" scrolling from right-to-left and repeating. Doesn't stop until I hit Start to get into CI

If you notice ways to reproduce crashing in other areas of the game though that doesn't mean "the problem is still there". It's even possible for a completely stable emulator to crash for whatever reason--as long as the cause is for that time different--but that won't necessarily indicate the issue as still there. Crashing/hanging/freezing/etcetera is our own qualitative observation, but the design of the reason or cause is not necessarily precise each time.

One example is the interpreter preventing this observation of ours on things like crashing in one area but--due to some new cause or failure form--not always.

magmarock64
5th July 2009, 09:21 PM
Go to options go to video turn off alternative title screen then go to change agent and reset game.

HatCat
5th July 2009, 11:27 PM
am using interpreter mode
Sound is muted.

1.6 crashed after quite a while, but 1.7 with the virtual/physical lookup table doesn't.

magmarock64
6th July 2009, 02:03 AM
How is the sound muted are you still using the default sound plugin if so let it run for a while longer.

HatCat
6th July 2009, 11:25 PM
"What I usually do is let it run in a loop with the sound off for while and see what happins."
I just configured the plug-in.
I could use the No Sound plug-in; as far as this crash would go though you'd get a report on the precise module if that was actually the concern.

nonetheless testing this again

magmarock64
7th July 2009, 03:47 AM
Just to let you know I very much appreciate what your doing. Please let me know how the test goes.

HatCat
7th July 2009, 05:07 PM
I see.

I have also managed to crash on 1.7 a second time using the 1.7.0.2 RSP interpreter, not just the main memory interpreter for Project64.

Originally though I was not able to reproduce a crash on 1.7 while I was using the alpha testing version of the RSP, namely version 1.7.0.3. One reason I changed this to see if I could find this for you is that it kept forcing LLE display mode for the graphics plug-in while using the interpreter.

Now I will test once again using that alpha RSP.
Consistently though the general idea here seems about three times before crashing. Well three times is the charm. I don't expect the alpha RSP should interfere, but in that scenario definitely after three times I waited.
Meaning this may take longer but to keep you updated on this
blah blah crash never mind, yep this is known, I'll add this note to that thread from before in the alpha forum, thanks for these notes!

magmarock64
14th July 2009, 07:51 AM
Any news on the outcome of the tests?

HatCat
15th July 2009, 02:44 AM
ya positive so I reported it in the alpha testing forum, which next time business is back you should have access to

magmarock64
15th July 2009, 09:17 AM
Great! that sounds good I definitely want to be an alpha tester.