PDA

View Full Version : Texture Packs and lots of them

magmarock64
25th June 2009, 05:40 PM
Hello there I'm sure some of know about this, but anyway I found this link to all these texture packs. Some of which can be combined. I'm trying to decide which
packs are best and which are good for combining. My internet is being throttled at the moment so I cant really check them all out at this time, but I want to know what you all think. I hope it's okay by the site rules if not I apologize in advance, anyway here's the link

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=42231

magmarock64
30th June 2009, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know how to port hires textures from one plugin to another?

mudlord/RED
30th June 2009, 01:20 AM
Discussed many times at length and in detail.

And its possible, but VERY tedious.

magmarock64
30th June 2009, 02:10 AM
What are the main differences between Jabos D3D and glide64 especially in the place of texture packs.

mudlord/RED
30th June 2009, 07:45 AM
The differences are in hash and file format.

Jabo's plugin uses pure unmodified MD5 and outputs the textures in RGBA PNG only. Packs are packed in ZIPs and XML files are used to specify compatible games. Textures are dumped and labeled according to a unmodified MD5 hash only, for simplicity. Textures can be also be loaded in DDS format, to save VRAM usage.

Rice's plugin, and as a consequence Glide64's hires texture addon, uses a custom algorithm based on CRC32, and has many nuances to its texture pack format. It outputs PNG, as well as BMP files in cases with specially formatted filenames. It does not uniformly dump files, but instead dumps textures according to whether its colour indexed, plain RGB, RGBA. RGB with files with alpha information etc.

magmarock64
30th June 2009, 10:48 AM
I can,t help but feel like a child on this forum everyone seems to know more about emulation then me so forgive my ignorance for not understanding most of what you just said. All I can say about the plugins from my own experience is that Glide64 seems to have better frame buffer emulation but often causes the emulator to crash. Jabo's D3D seems to be more user friendly and stable. to help better understand the way D3D and OpenGL work I.........This is somewhat awkward but I tried Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4 and unfortunately it caused my computer to crash, but it's the only plugin I found that can use this texture pack which looks amazing :eek:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1RSABXNJ

HatCat
30th June 2009, 09:23 PM
oh that's not bad

Does anyone know how to port hires textures from one plugin to another?

Like I've still been occasionally porting my retexture for Virtual Chess 64, which is a 4 MB game. Since many games are 4 or 8 times as large in file size and have way more textures, my job is easier. Because of Jabo's convention, I want to port the retexture so that I can get rid of the duplicate pixelmaps...in RiceVideo just one will be loaded for all instances. (It's a bug with the MD5 method for this game.)

I want to convert some of the PNG textures to BMP format because they should load faster in theory since DirectX supports BMP. PNG is compressed. I need to re-dump the textures with RiceVideo so that I have the file names to substitute for the MD5-named textures for Jabo's plugin.

Once everything's renamed though just move the textures over to a good directory and RiceVideo will load it; I just also need to change some of the textures and their formats for efficiency.

magmarock64
30th June 2009, 11:01 PM
If Zelda could be ported to Jabo's D3D as well as some others and made available on this site that would be great. It's only a matter of time before Jabo or someone else rectifies the frame buffer emulation plus these hires txetures PJ64 will be the ultimate emulator.

Here's another nice texture pack for Super Mario 64 works with Glide64

http://rapidshare.com/files/109901437/elxuxi_s_NINTEMOD_Mario_64_Retexture.zip

HatCat
1st July 2009, 02:06 AM
If you're a beta member you can see some of the uploaded ports for Jabo's plug-in.

mudlord/RED
1st July 2009, 02:21 AM
..And there has to be more than this Zelda shit.

This is why the texture pack scene is shit. No originality. :rolleyes:

magmarock64
1st July 2009, 03:32 AM
..And there has to be more than this Zelda shit.

This is why the texture pack scene is shit. No originality. :rolleyes:

If I knew how I would make Perfect Dark textures. But what do you mean by "no originality" do you mean changing the entire look and feel of the game,opposed to just up scaling it? Wouldn't that ruin it?

If you're a beta member you can see some of the uploaded ports for Jabo's plug-in.

Yes I am a Beta member. The textures on this site are not as good as the ones for Glide64 which is why I want them ported, and it gives people more choice.
Do you think it's worth it?

HatCat
2nd July 2009, 01:04 AM
They're the same as their RiceVideo versions. Since some games have multiple texture packs available, the one ported and up for download at the site may not be the version for Glide64/RiceVideo.

The one you linked to for Mario (elxuxi) is. Check the port for Jabo's plug-in at the downloads page in the beta section.

Do I think it's worth it == will I do it, and if I didn't make the RiceVideo version, I don't have much information to port it to Jabo's. It's not impossible, but it should be under the wish of the texture artist.

magmarock64
2nd July 2009, 01:59 AM
Making adjustments to the plugin so it can use both formats of packs would make things a lot less complicated. As for authors of these great packs I am very interested in what they think of all this, but I don't think they would mind.

HatCat
2nd July 2009, 02:30 AM
Each method can have their own system of susceptibility to loading issues, so supporting both conventions in one plug-in may be more dangerous than supporting one.

Then there's the problem as to which one you use being more problematic, but then you can always work on the scheme yourself. Maintaining two systems can be harder.

Not that I think you're wrong...I think you'd be interested in the information in this thread here. :)
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=189

also props to you if you can decode zilmar's posts for me

magmarock64
2nd July 2009, 04:18 AM
What about renaming images? I read somewhere that you rename them so that the plugins can detect them, if so could you please give me an example.

HatCat
2nd July 2009, 02:49 PM
The hand texture from virtualchess is dumped by Jabo's plug-in as E6C2A542F537CE26FF96C1353957FD33.png.
This texture is dumped by an older version of RiceVideo as VIRTUALCHESS#856F9D8D#2#0_ci.png.

To dump the texture, have the texture logging active while in the part of the game using it. You may have to replay through the entire game on the other plug-in with texture dumping on to find out all the filenames for your current retexture files to become.
This also results in a large number of textures to organize, sort, and identify.

But in this instance, once I rename just this file to the later filename, it will be detected by RiceVideo once in the right folder.

If you understand this, this is the actual process of "manually converting the packs". Anyone can do it, though, not just the author, but the author may have more information as to how to approach it.

About the naming convention and else also see this thread.
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=26229

magmarock64
3rd July 2009, 01:38 AM
That sounds a bit out of my league I don't think I can do this, so I'm going to be honest there really is only one texture pack that needs ported and that's this one it's the only pack I found that works with Rice but not with Glide64.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ENR61416

mudlord/RED
3rd July 2009, 03:06 AM
But what do you mean by "no originality" do you mean changing the entire look and feel of the game,opposed to just up scaling it? Wouldn't that ruin it?

What I meant is. Only 5 games are EXTENSIVELY retextured. Hence, no originality in game choice. Whatever happened to retexturing games that are uber fun to play, but had horrendous texture quality, little graphics design, or both? I can name plenty of games that are awesome, yet never retextured properly.

There has to be more than this Zelda/Mario/SSB/MK/ZeldaMM shit. :)

magmarock64
3rd July 2009, 03:49 AM
I've never heard of MK being retextured I would like to see that, but anyway here are some games that haven't been fully retextured and I think they should be F zero, Star Fox, Perfect Dark, Conkers BFD, Blast Corps,

and of course Superman64 where Superman looks like a prostitute and the city looks a giant toilet, that way it reflects how you feel when you play it.

Here's a texture you mite like note I haven't seen it my self

http://rapidshare.com/files/107973469/SomeThingEviL_s_Duke_Nukem_3d_High_Resolution_Pack .part1.rar

HatCat
3rd July 2009, 06:11 PM
Heh for just this case with my, level of confidence, I wasn't so in to the idea of retexturing some popular game...which I would imagine were popular for some reason maybe like already fine texturing. I liked PSP more than Photoshop because of its unique fixes, artifact handles, data restore methods, and wider support of image formats. Although I felt at some point I wanted to give a try with retexturing, it would have been fixes or, as far as I was skilled, general improvements.

I'm not going to spam yet another thread with chess, but through geometric pixel work, I have fixed some of the flaws with the virtualchess textures. I even re-/invented/discovered on my own a new resize method: divide 24-bits-or-less textures into rectangles, redraw the rectangular dimensions accordingly, and fill in any remaining details. If the maps are polygonal in nature I can also instead just add some kind of shape-based anti-aliasing.

thefalz
21st July 2009, 03:33 PM
If I knew how I would make Perfect Dark textures. But what do you mean by "no originality" do you mean changing the entire look and feel of the game,opposed to just up scaling it? Wouldn't that ruin it?

I think he means theres no originality because a majority of the retexturizing projects are on zelda OOT and majoras mask, Super Smash Brothers and Mario64