PDA

View Full Version : I would like to see a scalines option please.

Dr_Spankenstein
4th October 2008, 12:40 AM
I always feel that graphics displayed look better with scanlines.

So if it is possible (maybe Jabo knows how) then please can we see it in the new version? :D

Thanks

Smiff_
4th October 2008, 09:33 AM
last time we discussed this Jabo said he doesn't like scanlines.. actually, the low N64 res makes this not such a good idea (having 120 lines out of 240). but when in high res i can't see why not. maybe if he added a custom effect loader (a la Mame) people could add their own effects using .pngs - need to see what Jabo thinks or how much work this is!

mudlord
4th October 2008, 01:09 PM
maybe if he added a custom effect loader (a la Mame) people could add their own effects using .pngs - need to see what Jabo thinks or how much work this is!

Personally, I prefer using shaders, however since Jabo uses D3D8, it can be difficult, as D3D8 is limited in that area. DX9 rocks though in that regard. :p

Gent
4th October 2008, 06:25 PM
Personally, I prefer using shaders, however since Jabo uses D3D8, it can be difficult, as D3D8 is limited in that area. DX9 rocks though in that regard. :p

Heh knew it wouldnt be long before DX9 raised its nasty little head in the Convo :P

Dr_Spankenstein
4th October 2008, 10:39 PM
I'm guessing "upgrading" the plugin to use DirectX9 isn't a viable option then?

MAME style custom effect loaders sound like a very good idea indeed, although the final decision will obviously be up to Jabo himself, I know they work great with all the games in MAME regardless of their resolution.

squall_leonhart
7th October 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm guessing "upgrading" the plugin to use DirectX9 isn't a viable option then?

MAME style custom effect loaders sound like a very good idea indeed, although the final decision will obviously be up to Jabo himself, I know they work great with all the games in MAME regardless of their resolution.

Its viable to a point. As mudlord found, using some of the techniques available to Dx9 for rendering actually screws up the ability to use Advanced filtering methods such as anti aliasing.

I'd much prefer an OpenGL plugin as then you can base it on the 1.4 specs, with the ability of making use of GLSL(OGL2) extensions via fragment shaders.

Arm73
2nd November 2008, 02:52 PM
I would like to add +1 to the scanlines sugggestion.
The majority of emulators I tried have this option ( or similar ) and I must say older graphics looks much prettier on my LCD monitor with some 25% scanlines enabled ( you know very light scanlines ).
In fact I can't imagine myself to play some older 2D game witout it, the low defitintion of some games really screams for improvement, and I hate bilinear filtering because makes everything blurrier ( to various degrees ).
PJ64 looks great on the other hand, in fact one of the features which makes me play games on it instead of the real hardware is because the emulator is capable of render 3D objects and backgrounds on a higher resolution, which is oustanding.
However as we all know, 2D sprietes layed on top of it are reall ugly, and instead of spending hundreds of hours on texture packs ( which is also a great feture by the way that I'd like to see improved on ), one could get away with some mild scanlines to soften up the rough edges here and there.

squall_leonhart
4th November 2008, 11:07 AM
who uses bilinear anymore? force trilinear, Anisotropic and antialiasing.

Vorpal86
7th November 2008, 03:10 PM
Well, i'm new here, but I think scanlines are very nice for 2d/sprite based games, and that's my prefered filter for 2d emulation, but scanlines for 3d games would make it look bad. In example, try adding scanlines to one of the n64 games screenshots, you'll see it looks pretty nasty for 3d compared to 2d. Doing that actually takes away from what's there, rather than just filling in the duplicate pixels with empty black lines. 3D game graphics are meant to be scaled and rotated and adding scanlines contridicts the eforts.

On a side note, some of the games I've played on pj64 look slightly out of aspect, so a more viable clean up option would be to find out exactly what screen resolution the n64 uses, and determine from that what a good filter would be. Since the N64 never supported trilinear filtering, or catastrophic filtering it would be hard to tell the quality enhancement. Texture sizes also have an effect on upscale quality. Upscaling even a 3d game from a low res to a higher res really doesn't add enhancement unless the textures are recreated manually to support that 2x or 3x upscaling. Ahh, good thing there are texture packs. :)

I've tested some and it seems the game image screens look like they should be 256x224 n64 low-res screen. I am still uncertain that the n64, NTSC hardware is 320x240. I assume if that was so, games scaled into 2x (640x480) would look proper, but they seem to dissapoint sometimes. However, games that support 640x480 with the mem pack, are ok, as long the emu size is 640.. and you choose hi-res in the game.

I'll stop rambling now. Heh.

maraakate
15th December 2008, 08:44 AM
I always feel that graphics displayed look better with scanlines.

So if it is possible (maybe Jabo knows how) then please can we see it in the new version? :D

Thanks

I would love to see this. In particular graphics options similiar to MAME: xQ2X Filters, Custom Scanline Percentages, and whatnot. Some of the filters may be useless as they were designed for extremely low res games.