PDA

View Full Version : GPU Crash after Vista Screen Lock

HatCat
30th July 2009, 01:32 AM
Disclaimer I'm noting this for my own interest rather than the developers'; I'm just not bulging my Flash drive with still more text on notes.

Vista locks the screen in two common cases that I can recall.

If I use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to a task manager first I get the log-in screen GUI look with an option to access the task manager, but the screen clears to black for a quick moment until that menu comes.

For limited Vista accounts on here like mine if accessing software dealing with registries this is a common way to get a permissions dialogue to enter admin credentials before continuing. Before this, the screen is black, and even after the dialogue loads there is still a semitransparent layer.

In these cases, if Project64 was still displayed in front, the screen is black. After you turn the window active (i.e. click on it) you get a crash, usually with some exception error messages or one of those worthless references to zilmar's directory structure. http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9117/fatass.png

More importantly what happens following this is the next time I start Project64 with almost any graphics plug-in, by some error message or another, no game will progress beyond initialization and boot. Most of Jabo's plug-ins give a general access violation message, but a few third-party plug-ins will leave the message up to Project64.exe. glN64 (OpenGL) for a unique example gives its Win32 exception error routine.

The only plug-in I could get to work was Rice's Daedalus (5.2.0), which is very good for Virtual Chess 64. Speeds the analysis up, does better here than with many other games, based on RDP from Daedalus emulator and has many problems

These are the two details I could strangle out from Jabo's Direct3D6.
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6527/avad3d6.gifhttp://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7213/avbd3d6.gif

The second one I got after a couple clears of the first message when the whole emulated screen was a tan color, but after that I eternally got the first error again.

Other plug-ins that will still load the game are Lemmy's Direct3D8 with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION printed at the bottom-left and the rest of the game having shredded or garbage texture results (as opposed to before), Rice's Video Plugin with half of this in effect, and zilmar's CFB thingamabob. holy crap that's actually a word...thank you FireFox, I guess I really am a natural speller.

Tank you very much :)

squall_leonhart
30th July 2009, 05:01 AM
Its the Secure desktop interfering with the rendering thread, its not limited to just emulation it does crash some games as well.

HatCat
30th July 2009, 08:08 PM
Yep I haven't seen crashes outside of emulation, but I've seen other software that came strictly with Vista having update problems and a bunch of black.

Java applets in pages are completely black from this result until the next update.

Tell me a specific function of new Vista's desktop security that is the one interfering with graphics rendering?
Does this intervention apply equally when this is done by Direct3D/OpenGL/others, or is one API to any extent a factor?

As far as my inconvenience goes that's fine I know it's my fault for putting up with Vista; I'll be glad to learn further.

squall_leonhart
31st July 2009, 12:10 AM
you can just disable Secure desktop, via the UAC options... well on windows 7 you can atleast.

HatCat
31st July 2009, 03:03 AM
Reminds me a good idea
Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium 32 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 1.90 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GS 6150 LE HAL 7.15.0010.9746
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.5343.0001
For the heck of it, my specs

I've never touched UAC since The Fat Man gives me a limited Vista account; I'll do research on this tomorrow though if you can point me to, where they are for me that would be great.

squall_leonhart
31st July 2009, 07:34 AM
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/make-user-account-control-uac-stop-blacking-out-the-screen-in-windows-vista/

HatCat
31st July 2009, 09:13 PM
Sweet thanks now I know what to do once I crack The Fat Man's password a third time. He probably used even less characters this time, so trust me he doesn't mind in the long run. Everybody wins. :)

For your own reference, as a limited Vista home user, the result after I open REGEDIT.EXE and go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System] is success; it's just that I can't add the 32 bits word to set PromptOnSecureDesktop to 0.
Actual error is Title:Error Creating Value/"Cannot create value. Error writing to the registry."

As you would expect the patch download fails the same. When executing the command error result is Title:Registry Editor/"Cannot import /*$archive_dir*/DisableSecureDesktop.reg:
Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

For this article's sake that's a clean way of saying Go home and get better privileges. If they still had floppy drives around these days I could just get NTFS4DOS.