PDA

View Full Version : Controller Gamepad Adapter Joystick Buttons Xpadder JoytoKey

Moohaumed
30th July 2009, 05:13 AM
I noticed there are several people having problems with getting a controller to work properly, especially online, and the questions aren't being answered. The biggest issue is the analog sensitivity problem, which I found can be solved (in my case) two ways, but both have drawbacks.

1: Switch to N-range plugin. Drawback - No one uses this, so it makes it nearly impossible to play online.

2: Use a third party pad to keyboard application to route / map / assign controller buttons to keyboard buttons. I have found two programs on the web that perform this function.. JoytoKey and XPadder. Drawback - BOTH programs don't seem to detect any of the C buttons. ALL other buttons, including the analog / thumb / control stick sensitivity / tilt work flawlessly.

Please is there anyone out there that has a solution for this?

HatCat
30th July 2009, 08:21 PM
A third solution is to not use Project64k or Project64kve.
--KVE is still based off Project64k, which still is a hack (even if from taking the 1.4 source). The feature itself was hacked in, and other emulators supporting NetPlay are not known to have this controller issue.

i.e. people don't all have to use the same controller plug-in unless they use Project64k or its extensions.

Moohaumed
31st July 2009, 03:58 AM
Any recommendations?

HatCat
31st July 2009, 09:57 PM
Of course an issue with not using Project64k or --kve is that everyone within the same game must use the same emulator, and well over 95% of people use Project64k.

When setting organized games, you should know other N64 emulators playing online are 1964/Mupen64/Nemu64.

Today Mupen64 is continued as Mupen64Plus for Linux, but there is an earlier attempt with a revolutionary implementation of NetPlay. This project was renamed from Mupen64k to Mupen64++, but most people like to get the emulator from here now that there is no primary resource for downloading it.
http://www.goldeneyeonline.com/
(See Step 1: Download the N64 Emulator.)
The synchronization issues with the hacks in Project64k, at least to this emulator, don't even register.

By contrast, Nemu64 was ended in 2003. Uh I believe zilmar got out his rocket launchers and bam went the blimp, no photographs of the event exist. Because time was put into a stable implementation of NetPlay based on a sudden finality of Nemu64, online play may or may not be better than that for Project64k. The issue is how slow it is; back then people still put up with slow speeds. You may also have to mess around with some of the default settings to optimize things.

1964 has recently been updated. If you want check it out check http://1964emu.emulation64.com/. Its introduction of NetPlay is between the time of Nemu64 and Project64k, both of which before Mupen64's discoveries. Of these four options for NetPlay 1964 is generally fastest; I can get a good 500+ VI/s with Virtual Chess 64 if I optimize everything for speed.

Because of the great uniquity (er uniqueness) in the implementation based on the functions of an individual emulator, I'm sure there will be issues setting up any of these options. If need be I am happy to test this out with you if we can plan a game, but quite a few reports do have solutions.

Moohaumed
5th August 2009, 01:45 AM
I'll look into those and give a couple a try the next chance I get. It's nice of you to offer setting up the test match, I will likely take you up on that as it's impossible to get anyone to stay in one place and communicate for too long. I really appreciate all your help you're a great asset to this forum.

HatCat
5th August 2009, 01:58 AM
Well it's not often this forum gets feedback.
I help out simply because I have time and, happening to have some experience, to make some positive difference. I have other involvements; I just don't want to die out from something that already began.

Even if everything is like dying these years or even if zilmar never came back, all the more reason to make use of all of this free time. :D

Let me know when you have that time, how some of those emulators go. It's been at least a year since I've played online through NetPlay.

Jabo
2nd September 2009, 03:25 PM
out of curiosity are these analog sensitivity issues with N64 USB adapters? or real USB gamepads? what is the model? what deadzones are people using? and what N64 range are people using? the N64 USB adapters sometimes are notoriously pieces of crap, Adaptoid I've heard is the best.

squall_leonhart
2nd September 2009, 09:51 PM
its the drivers, not the adapters.