PDA

View Full Version : Sound and other issue

Nincodedo
5th October 2008, 05:01 PM
I don't know if there is a place for tech support here or not, but I don't know who else to ask. :(

When I try to run Banjo-Tooie, the sound doesn't work and then after a while I get this error message.

SP DMA READ
SP_DRAM_ADDR_REG not in RDRam space

It has worked fine in the past, but just the past few days, it's been doing this. I redownloaded the ROM, wondering if that was it. Same problem. Reinstalled PJ64, still no. Even tried a different emulator (Mugpen 64), but that didn't even start the game. Any ideas?

HatCat
5th October 2008, 05:35 PM
Did you use cheats?
Have you used Windows Vista?

A lot of times when I get that error the sound immediately turns to a loud static...that you get no sound suggests an issue with supporting your instance of DirectSound.

There are also known stability issues with this game. These have largely been fixed in some beta progress, but you might get crash messages like that. Try using F5 and F7 to quick save and load points in the game; I have known this to show the crashes as random. Alternatively if you need to use 1964; that has the most stable recompiler for Vista systems whether you have one or not and has reduced this kind of crash effectively.

zilmar
5th October 2008, 06:24 PM
When I try to run Banjo-Tooie, the sound doesn't work and then after a while I get this error message.

SP DMA READ
SP_DRAM_ADDR_REG not in RDRam space

It has worked fine in the past, but just the past few days

Are you loading from an instant save?
do you have this issue when you start the game fresh?
do you have this issue when you load from the native save?

Nincodedo
5th October 2008, 07:00 PM
No cheats. Yes, I am using Vista. I'm not loading from an instant save. This happens when I start the game fresh. I even deleted the save data from the save folder so this happens with and without save data.

HatCat
5th October 2008, 07:08 PM
The no sound issue happens when you start it fresh, but the crash doesn't occur instantly?

You have no sound because Vista removed a component of DirectSound support. The crash might be in the recompiler since all interpreters I've tested and 1964's recompiler don't witness it, but none of this testing of mine applies to the Banjo games.

Nincodedo
5th October 2008, 09:11 PM
It doesn't crash instantly. By the time I get to the file select screen it does, but if I wait on the title screen long enough, it will crash there too.

The sound worked before though. Did Vista remove the component within the last few days?

HatCat
5th October 2008, 09:44 PM
Might've been you upgraded Vista automatically since a while that had a component removed

There's a cheat that crashes the file select scene opening, but we know you aren't using any of them. Just noting some complexity in areas like that

This is a known issue with the public version. I always used instant saves as backups because they are random when you get to the in-game phase at least. Unless you right-click the game in the browser, Edit Game Settings..., setting the core from Recompiler to Interpreter is alright with you?

For now you can try 1964--should fix both issues. Feel a bit guilty about posting that here but....

Nincodedo
6th October 2008, 05:45 PM
Changing it to Interpreter crashes it faster. >.>

I'll try 1964. Thanks everyone for your help.

Smiff_
6th October 2008, 08:10 PM
some people had this issue with 1.6 (personally i didn't, i just found it hung fairly often..)
can anyone remember a fix for the DMA error?

zilmar
6th October 2008, 08:23 PM
It doesn't crash instantly. By the time I get to the file select screen it does, but if I wait on the title screen long enough, it will crash there too.

The sound worked before though. Did Vista remove the component within the last few days?

What version of pj64 are you running?

if you back up your current version and uninstall and re-install making sure it is a clean install do you still have the same issues ?

squall_leonhart
7th October 2008, 07:54 PM
What version of pj64 are you running?

if you back up your current version and uninstall and re-install making sure it is a clean install do you still have the same issues ?

This problem is most common if you've got certain cheats enabled when you launch emulation.

I've not seen it once while playing on 1.6, or 1.7, unless cheats were enabled.

2kool4u100
29th January 2009, 12:48 AM
is there any kind of sound plugin for Realtek AC'97 Audio?

squall_leonhart
4th February 2009, 08:46 PM
the one that comes with pj64 works fine with it,

However, recent RTAC97 drivers have come with a DsoundHW/3d emulator so try using an older driver set.