Project64 Forums

Project64 Forums (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/index.php)
-   Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dual Core Support (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=856)

Stewie 22nd June 2009 08:18 AM

Dual Core Support

My request is for future pj64 to take advantage of dual/quad core processors.
n64-Core/rsp/graphics could all be shoved to a diffrent cpu cores.

squall_leonhart 22nd June 2009 11:36 AM

are you going to write the intricate thread synching code required to maintain synchronisation between the RDP, RCP and RSP?

f0xh4x0r 31st July 2009 11:27 PM

Squall should stop trying to raise his post count and reply with something helpful. You must have been the kid that no one liked growing up eh?

Dual core support probably won't happen because it wouldnt be that useful. This may happen in the future when the devs get bored, if the devs get bored.

pj64u000 1st August 2009 03:48 AM

Dual core support for PJ64 doesn't really make much sense since most dual core processor are already powerful enough that just one core is more than capable of emulating Nintendo 64 games.

HatCat 1st August 2009 03:50 AM

lol I like to get bored so that it reminds me of what I could be accomplishing.
Then everything is Fun! yayz

Um on the thread, speed should come last.

squall_leonhart 1st August 2009 09:32 AM

ha, infact you couldn't be more wrong.

my question still stands.
is the op going to write the intricate and impossible thread sync sequencer that maintains the synchronisation of the 3 cores.

cdoublejj 2nd August 2009 06:32 PM

why stop at 3 why not 4? i think dual core support would be nice too if needed there are some older slower dual cores and if running at higher resolutions it might help, but what do i know just my 2 cents.

squall_leonhart 3rd August 2009 04:31 AM

Resolutions are entirely GPU dependant on PJ64.

the benefits of HLE.

pcvii 3rd August 2009 03:58 PM

I was thinking if one core is fast enough for all the games. If this was threaded how much faster would it run on a quad core CPU? Maybe if they just threaded one of the plug-ins to take advantage of the multiple cores for some of the more complicated stuff. *shrugs*

daaceking 11th August 2009 01:50 PM

i really think multi core is a good idea. i have a solid 3 ghz processor which can run games without AA enabled. also anisotropic filtering is disabled screen size is 1280x800 (max). in mario party games (not mini games), my fps is around 30. slightly less smooth. if it was multicore i could enable aa and anisotropic.

also, on a second system, while playing perfect dark, it runs slowly and it only uses about half cpu. bug?!?

does vram make a big difference? i have a slow pc which had problems running project64. i upgraded video card to ati hd series 512 ram and i could change the res to maximum and still perfectly smooth. originally it was 640x480 now it's 1280x1024. still no aa and anisotropic. slows it down. that's why i'm suggesting multicore to be a good idea. give it some serious consideration.

i reckon it should come before 1.7 because it's taking ages. release it version 1.65:p