Project64 Forums

Project64 Forums (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/index.php)
-   Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   16MB support (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=7292)

theboy181 4th February 2017 07:39 PM

16MB support
 
Zilmar,

Can you please add the ability to use 16mb for the expansion memory in next build?

This is to support game hacks, and plugins that exploit the use of this memory..

retroben 4th February 2017 09:12 PM

VL:PR (Very Long:Please Read) :eek:

What hacks in particular?
There was a mod a while back on SMWCentral of an older 2.x build that allowed larger expansion sizes up to 20MB yet it seems that stuff above 0x807FFFFF is non-functional in it,but I have never seen such game hacks that use any more than the original expansion boost.

So,how would anyone go for making larger expansions work properly to make it as capable as Gamecube/Wii RAM with its 0x00A41234 and 0x0115369C as usable address locations?
Gameshark codes would be tough on their own with anything higher than 0x80FF-FFFF because of bits length from 8bit values 0x80234567 to 16bit values 0x81345678 respectively.

In this case,I guess you would ditch GS/AR/Xploder64 code-types in favor for a specialized cheat format with the same functions but with different values for activators and byte lengths while including 32bit value support hacked in,perhaps matching Gamecube AR codes (decrypted) or the custom Gecko codes style format with the same values for great compatibility.

Summary: Import Gecko codes support to function on emulated N64.
The original codes of mine and others will be mostly the same,only changing 80 to 0x and 81 to 0y and D0/D1 to zx/zy for equivalent byte write sizes and activator lines but also being capable of having codes in the higher range as well while also being able to use 32bit write sized codes.

But maybe instead of ditching the regular cheats,only have a way to switch out to Gecko codes for the individual expanded games that use the much larger RDRAM size or even allow use of Gecko code mode on any game for access to 32bit writes per line.

Interesting note: some values in N64 RDRAM are technically 64bits in total size such as some float point values like 3F911111-11111111 for one of the B-K Game Speed code's address/es.

theboy181 4th February 2017 09:19 PM

Maybe AIO can chime in here.

Also Im thinking test ROMS with the ability to use more RAM via these HACKS. I know that there have been a few projects where the real HW was modified with more expansion memory, so it would be interesting to see what they had planned for that.

To be clear the ability to use moar RAM can already achieved via the config file. I was just hoping for the pull down menu to support 16mb.

ExtremeDude2 5th February 2017 12:52 AM

mmm, RAM

Frank74 5th February 2017 01:49 AM

I just added 16MB to menu. It writes RDRamSize=16777216 to .cfg.

PM is not working at the moment, otherwise I'd have sent you a build to test.

Edit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/agbys0ev2u...Btest.zip?dl=1

theboy181 5th February 2017 03:49 AM

Please see if zilmar will accept it as a PR.

Frank74 5th February 2017 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181 (Post 69027)
Please see if zilmar will accept it as a PR.

Can you build?

Made a branch here:- https://github.com/Frank-74/project64/tree/16MB-Option

Changes can be seen here:- https://github.com/Frank-74/project6...ption?expand=1

HatCat 5th February 2017 06:31 AM

This has been supported for ages.

Fixes to the corrupted re-allocation of RDRAM size set in the CFG file have been merged over 18 months ago.
https://github.com/project64/project64/pull/544

Do not assume that because a GUI selector in Project64 doesn't display a "16" setting name that this isn't already implemented.

theboy181 5th February 2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181 (Post 69022)
Maybe AIO can chime in here.

Also Im thinking test ROMS with the ability to use more RAM via these HACKS. I know that there have been a few projects where the real HW was modified with more expansion memory, so it would be interesting to see what they had planned for that.

To be clear the ability to use moar RAM can already achieved via the config file. I was just hoping for the pull down menu to support 16mb.

can you stop ASSuming things.. stop shitting in my catbox

"Sm0ke w33d ev4r d4y"

theboy181 5th February 2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatCat (Post 69031)
This has been supported for ages.

Fixes to the corrupted re-allocation of RDRAM size set in the CFG file have been merged over 18 months ago.
https://github.com/project64/project64/pull/544

Do not assume that because a GUI selector in Project64 doesn't display a "16" setting name that this isn't already implemented.

lets not try and change history here.

HatCat 6th February 2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181 (Post 69035)
lets not try and change history here.

Hard to really know what you mean.

The PR I linked to was quoting history, not changing it. It is fact that variable-size RDRAM allocations were made possible by that commit; there's no "history change" about it.

I hardly see room for conclusion that I was bragging, either. The PR I linked to moreover was to clean up the case-by-case switch model of the function to have some mathematical algorithm to it. Incidentally, this allowed any-size RDRAM settings. It's nothing for me to brag about, and it's nothing for you to get jealous and butthurt over either.

theboy181 6th February 2017 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatCat (Post 69039)
Hard to really know what you mean.

The PR I linked to was quoting history, not changing it. It is fact that variable-size RDRAM allocations were made possible by that commit; there's no "history change" about it.

I hardly see room for conclusion that I was bragging, either. The PR I linked to moreover was to clean up the case-by-case switch model of the function to have some mathematical algorithm to it. Incidentally, this allowed any-size RDRAM settings. It's nothing for me to brag about, and it's nothing for you to get jealous and butthurt over either.

Interesting.. Thanks for explaining the inner working of your thoughts.. However, I am unsure what you are even talking about, except the jealous part.

If I had your talent I wouldn't be trolling or barging in threads that I don't do PR requests like its beneath me. I would be supporting the project, and giving positive posts to help the community grow.


I asked for zilmar to add a pull down menu to the GUI, and pointed out that it was already implemented if a person wants to achieve it via the config file.

Its simple really, and if he does it great! If you want to hijack the thread because you don't see a need for the addition, I am also OK with that.

I just want to remind people that you are more than welcome to support PROGRESSIONS.

HatCat 6th February 2017 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181 (Post 69041)
Interesting.. Thanks for explaining the inner working of your thoughts.. However, I am unsure what you are even talking about, except the jealous part.

Nah actually I am unsure of what you're talking about.

All I did was link to a commit that proves what you asked for was already implemented, and you were like, "let's not change history?"

But what can be said? You hate factual history I guess. Nothing much that can be done about that, except maybe stop being a hater. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181 (Post 69041)
If I had your talent I wouldn't be trolling or barging in threads that I don't do PR requests like its beneath me.

It's called having fun, and it hasn't been hurting anybody except people with attitude issues like you.

Anything playful and un-serious is just an insult to you because you want to hurry up and get some more free DLLs instead of doing anything to contribute to them yourself, like it's beneath you! :eek:

And with your talent, I think you've got better things to do than disrespecting the project, its state, its contributors, and your lord and master RPGMaster like everybody's self-serving except for you. Go out and have some fun and quit bitching that nobody's giving you all your toys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181
I would be supporting the project, and giving positive posts to help the community grow.

That sounds like a noble pursuit. So does world peace, ending starvation, preventing all rape-homicides and banning public-exposing cigarette smoke.

Kiddo, your concept of what's positive, supportive, growing or helpful isn't going to change one little thing about this world past what your gimme-gimme little mind can foresee. Above all of those things is making Project64 better so you can brag about your dumb little games, and not allow any of us to play fun games with the forum, that don't hurt anyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboy181 (Post 69041)
I just want to remind people that you are more than welcome to support PROGRESSIONS.

Why does what you welcome warrant any bearing? Do you profit from this project? Did you cause it to happen? Do we work for you?

You're basically saying we're more than welcome to cause progress to something that benefits you. What you're not saying is that if it doesn't benefit you we're not welcome.

theboy181 6th February 2017 04:05 AM

My my, you honestly think that trolling newcomers is having fun?
Exactly what gives you the right to act out like this?
Don't think that you are some PJ advocate. You are actually the opposite.
Seeing you act crazy, I wonder if there is a secret code or message here.

HatCat 6th February 2017 04:47 AM

"Interesting.. Thanks for explaining the inner working of your thoughts.."


And um I'm not sure, but I think me quoting you as calling it trolling and bragging, isn't the same thing as me recognizing that it is. That was just me saying I was having fun instead of trolling, while ignoring accusations which you know aren't the case. Because clearly there's no trolling, except in your secret-coded little mind. :D

ExtremeDude2 7th February 2017 02:17 AM

http://pre04.deviantart.net/dbff/th/...52-d58lzc0.jpg

HatCat 7th February 2017 01:44 PM

If I'm not mistaken, those two arms look like 8 MB each.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.