Project64 Forums

Project64 Forums (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/index.php)
-   Site News (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ocarina of Time 3DS (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=2505)

Jabo 30th May 2011 05:29 PM

Ocarina of Time 3DS

3 Attachment(s)
With the release of one of my most loved games, Ocarina of Time, coming to the 3DS in updated glory I thought I'd take a look at some screenshots and compare them to what is available on the Nintendo 64. Project64 has the nice luxury of rendering things in high definition but for the most part we will are limited by the original source material, unless you count the fantastic re-texturing projects, many that look superb. For those wondering the screenshots available here were taken from the extended trailer on IGN

Image 1:
Attachment 418

I've seen a lot of screenshots, but this one in particular stands out, the sky texture is brilliantly done, mixing in a hint of clouds in the night sky with better depth. Other things to note here include the glowing effect in the moon, similarly used in the sun perhaps on the N64 version, again nice touch. Lastly the flowers rendered in the foreground, have been redone. On the N64 they used billboard textures to render these, it's not easy to tell but it would seem they are finally real objects, at least we can hope.

One bit of disappointment here is the grass, while it looks slightly better, I am always hoping for more than flat geometry, I doubt the 3DS has the graphics horse power, but individual patches of grass blades would be a nice touch.

Image 2:
Attachment 419

You can see a few things in this as well that are enhanced, first the magic effect being shot has significantly more objects being rendered, and the individual objects are much larger. Notice also in the background that the textures for the paintings look much more detailed as well.

Image 3:
Attachment 420

You'll notice the textures that make up link are much more detailed and and a bit more vibrant, the developer has completely redone his facial texture which gives him a more modern feel. Also at an object level link's model has been updated significantly, there's no question overall that Nintendo has put those extra triangles to good use in making him look less blocky, after all he is the main character.

Just looking at the graphics, it seems to be more of a port and update than a remake. Bill-boarded objects have been given new life, existing objects have better models and crisp modern textures. Nintendo had to walk a very tight rope in staying true to the original since this may be their most beloved game ever. With Ocarina of Time for Nintendo 3DS coming in June, they have accomplished porting a successful title to the Nintendo 3DS with significant updates. I am a fan of Ocarina of Time both for it's technical achievements and game play, it was a real treat to take a deep look at what they've changed as I've spent countless hours playing and debugging it.

Any die hard fans buying this when it comes out? Check out the video and leave your comments.

Alunalun 30th May 2011 06:13 PM

I will try my hardest to resist buying it, since I must try to limit the number of times Nintendo can sell me the same game :p
I already have OoT on N64, two copies + master quest on the gamecube, and it's available on the wii virtual console.
I also have Starfox 64 on N64 and Wii, I have Pokemon snap on N64 and Wii, I have the original Zelda on GBA and gamecube, etc. (this list makes me feel like I've been a very foolish consumer...)

On the other hand, OoT 3D looks like a wonderful way of keeping OoT fresh for a new generation. I'm very impressed with the way they seem to have added a lot of details that make it look much more real. The lighting, a few extra polygons, some sort of better dust effect behind Epona (and other graphical tricks I don't recognise, no doubt). I'm not sure I link Link's new bodies though - they seem much more cartoony than they were on the N64. I thought Twilight princess captured the way OoT should ideally look, and this doesn't look like that.

I really like the way PJ64 can add antialiasing and can make 4:3 games into widescreen by extending the area that's drawn. Would it be impossible, though, to have it render the image from a second camera horizontally displaced by a few game-metres? Then players could use a fancy screen or cross their eyes to make PJ64 3D. I really have no idea how difficult that might be :p

dsx_ 30th May 2011 11:41 PM

yes this will be amazing, although i dont really care about the 3D effects too much, the game looks like a great improvement regardless

HatCat 31st May 2011 01:07 AM

Yeah as far as the modern redesign to Link it does conform to the natural enhancements in the newer picture results with some current consoles (with the detail of triangle modeling an uncompromising improvement). I agree about some of his visual looking kind of "cartoony" or stuff like the transition from Zelda 64 to Zelda GC games, really nice texture detail added overall though.

SorrowL 1st June 2011 05:01 AM

I know I will buy it once it gets out, Ive beaten Ocarina of Time on the N64 and on the pj1.7, and its always been fun, I can't wait to see what has been changed and improved. Mostly I'm going to love the notorious water temple, Seeing the new water appearance. Although I can only hope that it is possible to play on some Emulator one day, the 3DS doesn't really stand with the high Resolution on a small screen like that. But hey, its better then nothing.

squall_leonhart 1st June 2011 09:05 AM

i have no intention of buying a handheld retardation of OoT.

dsx_ 1st June 2011 09:35 AM

you sure do hate everything don't you

Alunalun 1st June 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squall_leonhart (Post 30583)
i have no intention of buying a handheld retardation of OoT.

Why redardation??? Surely it'll be exactly the same but with different graphics.

ExtremeDude2 1st June 2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alunalun (Post 30586)
Surely it'll be exactly the same but with different graphics.

More like awesomer (no that is not a word:p) graphics!:cool:

squall_leonhart 1st June 2011 05:48 PM

its not exactly the same.

the controls have been dumbed down for the limited handheld button count.

HatCat 1st June 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squall_leonhart (Post 30594)
the controls have been dumbed down for the limited handheld button count.

And that friends would be the primary context of "retardation" :D.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retardation

Well I guess this is yet another historical repeat of the despair inside "Everybody's A Critic" with a future version of an earlier base. They probably just don't remake MM because it didn't make enough money. :rolleyes:

Still even though not really that insight-fully researching of the graphics the artwork in those screens is pretty reflective about this and neat (most of them of course).

Jabo 2nd June 2011 12:23 PM

Yea they've kind of whored out the zelda games, releases on gamecube, virtual console on wii, now a remake of ocarina of time on 3DS... somehow given the resolution of the 3DS I'm not sure it's more than it looks in the screenshots, a few noticeable improvements. After doing a bit more research apparently this is one of the first in a series of N64 remakes, so the fun will keep coming!

ExtremeDude2 2nd June 2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabo (Post 30627)
After doing a bit more research apparently this is one of the first in a series of N64 remakes, so the fun will keep coming!

COOL!:cool:

squall_leonhart 3rd June 2011 01:41 AM

i'd prefer it if they landed on the wii instead of the 3ds.

daaceking 5th June 2011 08:47 PM

I would like to play the 3ds version even in 2d but I don't want a handheld, I don't want to emulate 2 screens. I don't know what the 2 screens show but if it is map and game, then I would like to emulate the game on full screen and in the right corner, emulate the map screen with probably a blend effect with the map quite stronger in vision if you know what I mean. :) the original rules.

Darren 7th June 2011 12:31 PM

maybe its because squall hates 3d, (which i think would be cool feature to add in PJ64 i know id use it, and i know others have asked, and others are using other ways of doing so) ive played a demo of this and it handles pretty good. and it has been ported to the wii as a VC game. :D

but to be honest nintendo could have done better polishing textures up, HD packs look better than this, and wonder, why pay 30 to play this on a tiny 3d screen with poor textures, when you can download a HD texture pack and play in 3d on a 22inch monitor for free.

id defo like to see majoras mask ported, i found that game more compeling with more to do that enter a dungeon find key kill bos collect artifact, i loved the time missions where you meet people at a set day/time and have to go back later and that things were different depending on which day it is.

majoras mask by far best zelda game ever.

Alunalun 7th June 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren (Post 31048)
you can download a HD texture pack and play in 3d on a 22inch monitor for free.

How can you do that? (for the purposes of my question let's say I already have the texture pack and 3D 22in TV :p )

squall_leonhart 7th June 2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

maybe its because squall hates 3d, (which i think would be cool feature to add in PJ64 i know id use it, and i know others have asked, and others are using other ways of doing so) ive played a demo of this and it handles pretty good. and it has been ported to the wii as a VC game. :D

but to be honest nintendo could have done better polishing textures up, HD packs look better than this, and wonder, why pay 30 to play this on a tiny 3d screen with poor textures, when you can download a HD texture pack and play in 3d on a 22inch monitor for free.

id defo like to see majoras mask ported, i found that game more compeling with more to do that enter a dungeon find key kill bos collect artifact, i loved the time missions where you meet people at a set day/time and have to go back later and that things were different depending on which day it is.

Given the 3D in the 3DS is a headache / stroke waiting to happen, there is that. But the fact is they've taken something good and made it stupidly simplified for a lor res, gimmick hand held when it should have made it to the Wii.

Darren 7th June 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alunalun (Post 31050)
How can you do that? (for the purposes of my question let's say I already have the texture pack and 3D 22in TV :p )

ill have to check back on my pc at home but theres a driver that can render anything in fulscreen in steroscopic, but its a pain in the arse and only works with 1.6.

would be kool if pj64 added this feature like dolphin does.

Alunalun 7th June 2011 03:35 PM

OMG that's sounds awesome. I looked into Dolphin - sadly my laptop hasn't a hope of running it. Although it's dying so I may get a new computer soon-ish. But apparently the 3D is done by the new NVidia drivers or something, so it's done *outside* the emulator.
But the screenshots only show the 3D outputted to red-blue 3D for red-blue glasses. This is the worst kind of 3D. I'd rather cross my eyes...

HatCat 7th June 2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alunalun (Post 31054)
But the screenshots only show the 3D outputted to red-blue 3D for red-blue glasses. This is the worst kind of 3D. I'd rather cross my eyes...

http://www.instantsfun.es/media/images/web/Awesome.png

(couldn't find one with glasses on him though)

Quote:

Well it seems we finally agree on something. :D

Darren 8th June 2011 09:44 AM

finaly agree on somethin??

its very rare i post here so, im not sure what you meant lol

HatCat 8th June 2011 09:33 PM

Same here. :) Dunno what you mean.

And our frequency of posting here has nothing to do with whether someone agrees with you. I quoted the text that I agreed with, which apparently was written by you.

ZeroFearX2 13th June 2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabo (Post 30529)
Any die hard fans buying this when it comes out? Check out the video and leave your comments.

Personally, I save some money to buy a Killer Instinct II arcade machine.

I'll always prefers to play the original version of a game rather than remakes. (Final Fantasy as example.)

Original versions make me nostalgic. :)

Darren 14th June 2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clasttastic! (Post 31151)
Same here. :) Dunno what you mean.

And our frequency of posting here has nothing to do with whether someone agrees with you. I quoted the text that I agreed with, which apparently was written by you.

along with wording Well it seems we finally agree on something. kinda implies that weve had disagreements before, which is hard due to lack of posts from me here.

unless your someone from another site, and refairing to :o

anyways ive tried looking for this driver the links are dead, i cant remember what it was called but it ran anything in full screen mode in steroscopic, which sometimes was buggy if your emu crashed you had to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out of it.

but this would be awesome if pj64 added this, to be honest the emu isnt really getting improved anymore, they just change little things that are pointless really as it doesnt improve much and compare to 1.6 it emulates almost the same speed for roms, and doesnt play roms that 1.6 cant ei RE2 or Indiana.

Jabo 3rd July 2011 05:47 PM

perhaps a bit more on topic

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/17...=77881&show=HD

is a more in depth video review, some things are really stunning definitely worth a viewing

HatCat 3rd July 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabo (Post 33253)
perhaps a bit more on topic

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/17...=77881&show=HD

is a more in depth video review, some things are really stunning definitely worth a viewing

Christ that's a shitload of designs.

lol @ that running Kakariko carpenter dude before 1:30 in the video. He looks like a total dumbass.

"blah blah ocarina one of the best games my personal favorite has the best soundtrack blah blah gay sex blah blah congress"
cool review bro

But awesome gfx. :D I don't think it's too much a matter of eye candy since, well, even a game with awesome replay value is still more refreshing when it's explored in different graphics (hopefully usually when they're better but maybe not always then). I'd love to explore a redesign like that for MM as well of course.

Lightbeast 4th July 2011 02:11 AM

The god damn thing won't stop buffering so i said eff it, it is not worth it.

HatCat 4th July 2011 03:24 AM

lol, are you using FireFox or have like, a bunch of other data in your browser using Flash or plugin memory XD

Lightbeast 4th July 2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clastblaster 3000 (Post 33313)
lol, are you using FireFox or have like, a bunch of other data in your browser using Flash or plugin memory XD

No, i am using chrome, and i dont know what the problem is.

HatCat 4th July 2011 03:32 AM

Well what if you switch to testing with Internet Explorer just to see if the vid works?

Lightbeast 4th July 2011 03:39 AM

I might try that, i had just gotten a RAM upgrade as well.

HatCat 4th July 2011 04:21 AM

If that doesn't work then try freeing up CPU or memory or clearing your cache if you want to try using FireFox to use that video. Don't know if something could be blocking it; I know it took a few seconds to actually start the dang thing on this end here as well.

At some point though I think you'd appreciate a look at the graphical redesigns. Visualize this stage of improvement for some other games, may-haps. :D

mavdude73 13th July 2011 04:51 PM

vid works with IE 9 :D

Natch 13th July 2011 09:50 PM

IE9 sucks. end of story.

HatCat 13th July 2011 09:50 PM

Not really. All browsers have issues with different things, and that's not really the topic of this discussion anyway. :D

Honestly I'm not surprised that it got the video to load.

dsx_ 14th July 2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Experiment_150 (Post 33905)
IE9 sucks. end of story.

no......... youve just been brainwashed by the reputation of ie6/7/8 :P

Natch 14th July 2011 01:56 AM

IE9 may be better, but it's not as good.

:P

HatCat 15th July 2011 12:42 AM

natnater and iconoclast, stop mass spamming topics with redundant bs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Experiment_150 (Post 33941)
IE9 may be better, but it's not as good.

:P

wtf is this redundant bs.

So anyway :D I was thinking I discussed the video once I realized how to get it to work, rather than browsers.

tysonrss 16th July 2011 02:39 AM

The original is alot more better. Link looks bigger than he should. Especially in the Forest Temper when he enters the room that swirls around.

This only has minor graphical enhancements. Everything else is basically the same with the exception of battling the bosses over again and that it comes with the Master Quest version too.