Project64 Forums

Project64 Forums (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Open Source (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=3020)

Score_Under 21st July 2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealM (Post 40868)
Git causes nothing but trouble.

Do you really want people making forks of forks of forks, and then people distributing tons of different versions of essentially the same shit?

I really think the worries about this are massively overblown.
Invariably, people will find the original first and only by digging around will they find the forks. They won't harm anyone, and in fact they will benefit those who feel they need those changes to the code.

Have you seen CraftBukkit? There are a million and one forks for that, it's the most popular minecraft server software, and yet most people still use the original (with the exception of two popular forks; spout and craftbukkit++. Both are extremely uncommon but popular by fork standards. Both cater to different audiences and both would be completely unsuitable for pulling into the main repository)

I would say that the situation with forks in CraftBukkit has significantly improved a user's choice (if they're willing to spend time looking for these forks), while still having absolutely zero impact on the average user.

With that in mind, is there a substantial (i.e. real-world) case against forking?

ExtremeDude2 22nd July 2012 01:08 AM

lol I hate GIT XD

dsx_ 22nd July 2012 01:14 AM

what about google code?

ExtremeDude2 22nd July 2012 01:44 AM

I like it, as long as it is SVN not GIT (you can do either on code google)

squall_leonhart 22nd July 2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Score_Under (Post 40867)
You don't always have to accept people's patches... you can tweak them or reject them outright, entirely your choice. Open source doesn't need to be a free-for-all.

I can recommend Git as a good version control system (though not too beginner-friendly), and GitHub is also pretty darn good when it comes to managing/sharing/controlling access to/accepting patches to/tracking bugs for repositories. I can't post links as I registered to post this, but try them out - they're the first hit for both on google (though I know google's results can vary between people/locations).

Sorry, i hate hit, SVN is my preference, slow as it may be

Ascendancy 23rd July 2012 02:51 PM

This has probably been asked before in some ancient thread, but in what language(s) was Pj64 written in? (apart from C++, if any). How long would take for someone to learn the concepts needed to (further) develop Pj64?

squall_leonhart 23rd July 2012 03:20 PM

C and maybe ASM.

TheRealM 24th July 2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascendancy (Post 40887)
This has probably been asked before in some ancient thread, but in what language(s) was Pj64 written in? (apart from C++, if any). How long would take for someone to learn the concepts needed to (further) develop Pj64?

If you just started programming, don't bother.
If you are a beginner, don't bother.

Ascendancy 24th July 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealM (Post 40897)
If you just started programming, don't bother.
If you are a beginner, don't bother.

Nope and nope, but still have a way to go.

Moshroum 24th July 2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascendancy (Post 40887)

You can check it yourself at github.com/mudlord/pj64