Project64 Forums

Project64 Forums (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is there a PJ64 emulator for iPad? (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=4661)

PJ964 10th October 2014 11:13 PM

Is there a PJ64 emulator for iPad?

I was browsing through Google looking for an iPad PJ64 emulator and all I found for it was Mupen 64 with Retro Arch, but all I just wanted was PJ 64 but only M64 was available, so is there any going to be built, or is the iPad going to be stuck with M64 "Yuck!"

retroben 11th October 2014 02:41 AM

Tell a skilled Apple fan to grab the source code and port it to IOS.
I want PJ64 for Android myself,as we are also stuck with Mupen.

Why is there no 1964 or Daedalus Android or IOS?
There is a 1964js and n64js (daedalus).
Hell!,PSP has Daedalus,and can even run SM64 slowly on PPSSPP for Android!

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 03:21 AM

saw retroben reply. expected to see retroben talk about android. left satisfied :D .

PJ964 11th October 2014 03:27 AM

it's sad isn't it when someone has something potential, but they don't yeild it :( and sadly I wish I could code, but I can't, otherwise I'd with a yes :P

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 04:03 AM

It's sad when nobody bothers to do work that they want to be done ;/ .

Seriously, what's wrong with mupen? Better audio than pj64 ;/ .

PJ964 11th October 2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGMaster (Post 57694)
It's sad when nobody bothers to do work that they want to be done ;/ .

Seriously, what's wrong with mupen? Better audio than pj64 ;/ .

yes but the pj64 has better support with the video.

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ964 (Post 57695)
yes but the pj64 has better support with the video.

lol wut? Do you really believe pj's glide is magical?

Clearly this is a case of brand name bias. Anyway, nobody's going to port pj64. Imo that would be a waste of time ;/ .

PJ964 11th October 2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGMaster (Post 57696)

Clearly this is a case of brand name bias. Anyway, nobody's going to port pj64. Imo that would be a waste of time ;/ .

Erm so why do you care bout posting, it sounded like you trying to sell me their liver xD and I'm not being bias, I have my own opinion to make, Mupen 64 is just plain ugly to me xD All I just wanted to know is, is it possible, and your answer didn't really help xD

Tasoulis 11th October 2014 09:03 AM

N64 emulation is one of the least user friendly scenes that includes tons of bugs, experimentation, trial and error and plenty of plugins and combination of options. Even on Windows PC (which is the definitive platform for homebrew emulators) its a pain in the ass. Also, some plugins and combinations that are essential for some games to work correctly, will bring a powerful desktop i5 CPU to it's knees. Overall, you need to have full control and be able to adjust lots of variables to make many games work.

So, i just don't think a casual and user friendly "tap once and forget" closed platform like iOS is ready for the scene. I know my post isn't what you are looking for, i could just answer "no, PJ64 isn't available". Its just that i think you should lower your expectations about N64 emulation in general on your platform, for now.

V1del 11th October 2014 09:14 AM

PJ64's jabo can't be ported no source and no portable API. that's the only thing you could think of when talking about "better video" as glide does exist on mupen and works just fine.

In general you can't just plop a PJ64 Port to another device and expect it to work as well as the PC version. There's a reason mupen is on every device, its because it was designed to be portable from the getgo, a lot of work went into that consideration. PJ64 never had that consideration and uses a lot of Windows specific code, you'd have to rewrite big parts and also expect a load of bugs. It makes much more sense for crossplatform devs to port and enhance mupen, because it has taken many of the platformspecifics out of the way already.

Unless jailbroken IOS has another problem, you can't use dynamic recompilation, so you would be stuck with the interpreter which will be slower.

And you clearly are biased, saying you don't like mupen because of "Yuck" is not a valid argument in any way, shape or form. If you have a concrete example we could help you with a solution.

tl:dr no you can't port PJ64 to non-windows.

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 10:38 AM

V1del pretty much answered what I would have posted. I agree with Tasoulis too, although I actually think N64 emulation is somewhat user friendly. Plugins may not be the most convenient, but honestly, 1 size does not fit all, which is why i love plugins. different people want different things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ964 (Post 57697)
Erm so why do you care bout posting, it sounded like you trying to sell me their liver xD and I'm not being bias, I have my own opinion to make, Mupen 64 is just plain ugly to me xD All I just wanted to know is, is it possible, and your answer didn't really help xD

I actually don't care. I'm quite entertained by end users who think everything is easy to do. When people wonder "Why...", usually it's one of 3 reasons. 1, nobody cares, 2, not worth the time, or 3, too difficult. In this case, I'm going to have to say it's a mix of 1 & 2.

Lol I certainly am no supporter of M64p. I only suggest it, because it's really the only option when it comes to portability. There are quite a few things I don't like about m64p. One example is how they are slacking when it comes to porting.

I myself have more faith in PJ64, as it can actually run WDC and Stunt Racer. Hopefully I'll be able to run it at full speed one day :D . Once I overcome the emulator core, audio issue, I'm going to be really happy with Pj64 and 1964 :D . That's when I may start some repositories.

Anyway, my main point is that you have to accept the facts. The chances of Zilmar porting PJ64 is lower than getting hit by lightning :D .

the_randomizer 11th October 2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGMaster (Post 57696)

Well, Glide is a lot better than Rice Video at the very least; it just plain sucks and yes, I have used it and is has so many problems with games that have HUDs, missing graphical special effects (alpha dithering/pixel dissolving), and breaks games like Mystical Ninja 64 pretty badly. But on Android, I never tried N64 emulation, maybe I'll get one of them nVidia Shields.

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 05:15 PM

too bad Glide is almost as slow as lle gfx :rolleyes: .

anyway, when he said "pj64 has better support with the video", i assumed he wasn't being refering to Jabo, cause otherwise, it shows how out of touch the he is, with reality.

retroben 11th October 2014 06:01 PM

It is more along the lines of video lists from RSP stability like DK64 having proper collisions and correct DK Rap Animation and other games running more decently on PJ64 while failing on some versions of Mupen64/Plus because of the admittedly crappy Recompiler.

One example is the dreaded Banjo-Tooie crashes and Banjo-Kazooie freezing on Mupen64Plus AE. :(

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroben (Post 57705)
It is more along the lines of video lists from RSP stability like DK64 having proper collisions and correct DK Rap Animation

I don't think RSP has anything to do with this DK64 problem ;/ . Otherwise I will go ahead and test m64p's HLE rsp on PJ64 2.1 :D .

Quote:

and other games running more decently on PJ64 while failing on some versions of Mupen64/Plus because of the admittedly crappy Recompiler.

I find it ironic that people who care so much about portability, struggle to actually do a good job porting :rolleyes: . If the problem isn't branching or the general recompiler structure, anybody can fix it. It's time for you to take action, if you want better emulation. Nobody who has the ability to improve it, cares about Android, so what do you expect to happen?

I didn't expect anyone to fix/make an RSP recompiler, so guess what I did :D ? eZ pZ sonn.

I admit it's not easy balancing accuracy and performance, for a recompiler, but when you prioritize accuracy and slowly add in optimizations over-time, it's much simpler.

I'm curious though. I know that you've tried interpreter on android, but have you tried cached interpreter? If that works, then it means that the problem is likely easily to fix.

the_randomizer 11th October 2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGMaster (Post 57703)
too bad Glide is almost as slow as lle gfx :rolleyes: .

anyway, when he said "pj64 has better support with the video", i assumed he wasn't being refering to Jabo, cause otherwise, it shows how out of touch the he is, with reality.

Meh, Glide works fine on my rig, and Gonetz's next plugin won't be as slow, and will even have native res options too.. It'll be open source for Android porting, as all his goals were met, so at least Android will have a good plugin for once. Jabo's is just.....well you know. LLE graphics runs like crap on my rig, but Glide runs smooth.

oddMLan 11th October 2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGMaster (Post 57703)
too bad Glide is almost as slow as lle gfx

wut ?

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_randomizer (Post 57708)
LLE graphics runs like crap on my rig, but Glide runs smooth.

Again you make claims about things you haven't even tested (recently). I just tested Beetle Adventure Racing and Super Smash Bros. Glide64 was roughly 40% faster. Your cpu is like 27% faster than mine, so how can you say LLE gfx run like crap on your rig? Lol I just tested Jabo LLE in smash64 and get more fps on that, than I did with Glide ;/ .

Now the real argument against LLE gfx plugins is how incomplete they are (with the exception of pixel accurate of course :D ) . I wish ziggy paid more attention to certain games ;/ , but I blame end users for not reporting enough problems to him.

Also I'm skeptical about glideN64's speed. Unless he rewrites almost all of the code, it's not going to be that great. gln64 is a slow plugin, and that's his base.

And again, glideN64 won't work on PC's that are older than 2011 ;/ .

There are games where Jabo's more preferable though. Plus low end machines need Jabo! Or Rice :D . I love rice's plugin too :D .

HatCat 11th October 2014 07:41 PM

Doesn't help that any conclusions that he may have drawn about performance with LLE were tied to an outdated version of my RSP interpreter from a year ago either.

RPGMaster 11th October 2014 07:51 PM

Lol looks like performance is heavily game specific. Why does every gfx plugin run SM64 so well?? It's really weird. If all I played was SM64, I'd prolly think n64 emulation was amazing. Like seriously... So yes, if you're playing games like SM64, HLE is spectacular. Other games... Depends.

Can somebody link me an up to date (and working) binary of RiceVideo for m64p? I tried the one off mxe daily, but it doesn't work ;/ .

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatCat (Post 57713)
Doesn't help that any conclusions that he may have drawn about performance with LLE were tied to an outdated version of my RSP interpreter from a year ago either.

Exactly. Makes no sense to draw conclusions for something you're not up to date on ;/ . The minute he asked about what plugin to use... I realized what was up ;/ .

retroben 11th October 2014 09:13 PM

The gln64 plugin on a mod of Mupen64Plus AE by xperia64 is actually really fast with Banjo-Kazooie on Treasure Trove Cove,it even beats out Rice.
I already mentioned Smash being fast with four DK's on Hyrule at 55-60VI,but it unfortunately has creepy slenderman faces and Rice doesn't refresh correctly.

HatCat 11th October 2014 09:44 PM

What's a slenderman face?

Is that where you take a picture of Banjo the bear and compress the image horizontally to make it look like he just went through the trash compactor?

Also wtf is an iPad. ITS CALLED IBAD NAO GET WITH THE PROGRAM PPL.

V1del 11th October 2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

It is more along the lines of video lists from RSP stability like DK64 having proper collisions and correct DK Rap Animation and other games running more decently on PJ64 while failing on some versions of Mupen64/Plus because of the admittedly crappy Recompiler.

One example is the dreaded Banjo-Tooie crashes and Banjo-Kazooie freezing on Mupen64Plus AE. :(

A recompiler is processor specific, the one used on android/ARM is a different, completely new one, with a new set of potential problems, from the one used on x86 or x86_64 platforms. all these things work on m64p's recompiler on x86 platforms, so hardly mupen's fault in general.

Same thing applies to PJ64, you can't use its recompiler on arm, it recompiles to x86 code, you'd have to rewrite that.

RPGMaster 12th October 2014 12:01 AM

Rofl, my mind is out of order. It just hit me that retroben says PJ64 has RSP stability, when HatCat's plugin has already been ported, although they still haven't updated the recent bug fix ;/ .

I'm guessing maybe he meant recompiler core?

Anyway, tbqh, I don't think I've seen a stable recompiler. Ever... The biggest problem is people not willing to work on it :rolleyes: . So I'd prolly rather write from scratch than use an existing one ;/ .

oddMLan 12th October 2014 02:25 AM

Gonetz made a new post in his GLideN64 blog:
gliden64.blogspot.com/2014/10/mip-mapping-emulation.html

Posted here because of reasons.

the_randomizer 12th October 2014 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGMaster (Post 57710)
Again you make claims about things you haven't even tested (recently). I just tested Beetle Adventure Racing and Super Smash Bros. Glide64 was roughly 40% faster. Your cpu is like 27% faster than mine, so how can you say LLE gfx run like crap on your rig? Lol I just tested Jabo LLE in smash64 and get more fps on that, than I did with Glide ;/ .

Now the real argument against LLE gfx plugins is how incomplete they are (with the exception of pixel accurate of course :D ) . I wish ziggy paid more attention to certain games ;/ , but I blame end users for not reporting enough problems to him.

Also I'm skeptical about glideN64's speed. Unless he rewrites almost all of the code, it's not going to be that great. gln64 is a slow plugin, and that's his base.

And again, glideN64 won't work on PC's that are older than 2011 ;/ .

There are games where Jabo's more preferable though. Plus low end machines need Jabo! Or Rice :D . I love rice's plugin too :D .

I confused it with the pixel-accurate plugin in terms of speed. LLE graphics seem to run full speed, games Mystical Ninja 64 flicker like no tomorrow when using Jabo's and LLE, impossible to play without one going into an epileptic episode. F-Zero X crashes when I choose a stage, crashing with some RSP error.

Error message:

CN64System: RunRSP
Unknown Memory Scan
Emulation stop.

Got this from Mario Party 2, using the RSP plugin and Jabo's set to LLE.

Edit: Never mind about MN64 and the flicker.

Yeah, some games simply won't load with Jabo LLE combined with Hatcat's RSP plugin. Some ROMs just load a black screen with the FPS up to 700. KI Gold refuses to load on LLE.

Some ROMs run great, others just crash or have jacked up graphics when used in tandem with Jabo LLE and with the RSP plugin.

Tasoulis 12th October 2014 03:34 AM

Just for reference, Glide64 runs pretty good on my old PC (Pentium 4 3.0ghz) with the exception of a few games. Also, there are some slowdown parts in various games like the file select screen in Goldeneye and the craft select screen in F-Zero X. But i had this plugin as my default for years and it served me well.

This is an ancient CPU anyway, a modern PC would run this plugin and it's successor in idle mode. It may be slower than Jabo and some other plugins but with modern CPUs those differences don't really matter.

RPGMaster 12th October 2014 03:42 AM

fair enough. ya the problem isn't really LLE, although HLE is obviously faster. the real issue (performance wise) is hardware acceleration. that's also a reason why Glide is slower, because it does more things in software than other HLE plugins.

heh, I went back and tested SM64 in z64gl. the graphics are amazing and it's hard to even go back to HLE for that game ;/ . hLE needs some srs work done ;/ .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasoulis (Post 57724)
Just for reference, Glide64 runs pretty good on my old PC (Pentium 4 3.0ghz) with the exception of a few games. Also, there are some slowdown parts in various games like the file select screen in Goldeneye and the craft select screen in F-Zero X. But i had this plugin as my default for years and it served me well.

This is an ancient CPU anyway, a modern PC would run this plugin and it's successor in idle mode. It may be slower than Jabo and some other plugins but with modern CPUs those differences don't really matter.

Laptops from a few years ago may struggle with Glide for demanding games. Glide runs well enough on my laptop though.

HatCat 12th October 2014 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_randomizer (Post 57723)
me games simply won't load with Jabo LLE combined with Hatcat's RSP plugin. Some ROMs just load a black screen with the FPS up to 700. KI Gold refuses to load on LLE.

That's a fault of the primary CPU core in Project64, both recompiler and in 1.6 the interpreter.

LLE doesn't break KI Gold; the emulator you're plugging the RSP inside of does.
HLE only bypasses the issue by skipping over the inaccurate emulation with a handwritten sequence.

the_randomizer 12th October 2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatCat (Post 57726)
That's a fault of the primary CPU core in Project64, both recompiler and in 1.6 the interpreter.

LLE doesn't break KI Gold; the emulator you're plugging the RSP inside of does.
HLE only bypasses the issue by skipping over the inaccurate emulation with a handwritten sequence.

Even though I'm using version 2.1.0.1? Weird. Should I try another version of PJ64 in the mean time? And that would certainly explain why some games end up being FUBAR with LLE and the RSP. Hmm...

Abhiyanshu 5th December 2017 07:33 AM

PJ64 is now available for Android

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroben (Post 57691)
Tell a skilled Apple fan to grab the source code and port it to IOS.
I want PJ64 for Android myself,as we are also stuck with Mupen.

Why is there no 1964 or Daedalus Android or IOS?
There is a 1964js and n64js (daedalus).
Hell!,PSP has Daedalus,and can even run SM64 slowly on PPSSPP for Android!

PJ64 wasn't available back then on Android but it is now. Happy Gaming
http://www.pj64-emu.com