Project64 Forums

Project64 Forums (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/index.php)
-   Site News (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pj64 vs Windows (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=66)

Anonymous 24th June 2007 08:58 PM

written by L

I run Windows 2k pro on 2 machines and 98 se on 2 others, please keep 2k support and 98 would be appreciated. also i havent messed with pj64 on win 95 very much at all.

Anonymous 25th June 2007 02:20 PM

written by rhY

For the record, Ubuntu is growing by leaps and bounds. I realize that the code is probably in some proprietary format for some MS compiler, but switching to gcc and having a true cross platform emulator would be much better and garner a lot more attention, and possible developers as well. Personally, I don't plan on supporting Windows any more as a tech support guy for the 75 people in my family that require tech support. Most of them only want mario kart anyway, and that does work in mupen, but I like project 64 better for a number of reasons, and would love to use it without trying to coerce wine into working.

Anonymous 26th June 2007 06:10 AM

written by chris klepy

i keeps telling me that direct 3d is not compatible with my card and i nee to get some 3d graphics card what the hell do i do it wont let me play
!!!!!!!

Anonymous 26th June 2007 10:25 PM

written by Setar

Drop 9x. 98 is now considered obsolete by Microsoft, and hardly anyone uses it. Old games for me tend to work fine in XP, and for DOS games, there's always DOSBox (freeware DOS emulator).

I hear many good things about 2000 and it's an NT kernel, and apparently it's got lots of the same features as XP. I say keep 2000 as it won't be too hard to keep up. Anyone who has a comp worthy of running this should have 2000 anyway, as said before.

ME is just garbage. From what I heard, it was a crappy attempt to blend the 9x and NT kernel - didn't Microsoft discontinue support for it after only a year because it sucked so bad? Either way, no one uses it unless they're idiots or like experimenting. Drop it.

So yeah. Vista/XP/2000. 9x would be too hard to keep up with and it's obsolete, ME is just crap. 2000 is NT4, XP is what, NT5.1? Same kernel base, so 2000 shouldn't be terribly hard to keep up. I actually think I'd start looking at dropping 2000 support around next OS, depending on how support for 2000 goes. However, MS now considers 9x obsolete, not many companies support it anymore, drivers can't be found, no one uses it. If anyone NEEDS PJ64 for a 98 box, just keep 1.6 up for them - it shouldn't be too hard on them to get 1.6.

Anonymous 28th June 2007 12:37 AM

written by TwistedWhizz

Just to back up what rhY says above; Ubuntu is fast becoming the de facto Linux desktop. I know you guys have already said that a port to Linux is unlikely, but I would urge you to reconsider. Linux is really taking hold now: witness Bill Gates efforts to destroy it. More and more are making the move, especially as Vista offers nothing but woe to many people. Dell are now selling Linux PC's, and many hardware manufacturers are including Linux in their plans. I say all this just to illustrate the growing popularity of Linux, and hopefully to urge your thoughts in that direction. Project 64 is an amazing piece of software, and really ought to be available to Linux users. I do still use XP myself, but when it is killed off by Microsoft, that is when my relationship with Microsoft products comes to an end. I am pretty sure I am not alone in this.

Anonymous 28th June 2007 07:03 AM

written by JussiRM

Linux version would be cool

Anonymous 28th June 2007 09:35 PM

written by Kahlil

I think you should seriously consider releasing Project64 under the GNU General Public License. This is a Free Software license, where "free" refers to freedom, not price. Free software usually doesn't cost money, but it [b]gives the USERS freedom[/url]. This includes the freedom to make modified versions that run on old versions of Windows or Mac OS. I recommend the GNU General Public License, which allows you to charge money for beta (or stable) versions, providing you include the source code. For more information on Free (as in "freedom") Software, please visit www.gnu.org

Anonymous 29th June 2007 08:53 AM

written by TwistedWhizz

Just to clarify my above post: I do still use XP, but I only really use it for programs like PJ64. I've been a Linux user for a year or two now, and dual-boot with Windows. Just thought I ought to make that point, as it isn't so clear in my above post. It seems to suggest I don't even use Linux! Like many, Ubuntu is my main system.

I think PJ64 going to GNU GPL would be a great idea. Isn't ZSNES already under this license too?

Anonymous 29th June 2007 10:39 PM

written by Peter

Ditch Vista and start supporting OS X and Linux! (OS X is in desperate need of an N64 emu)

Anonymous 30th June 2007 03:38 PM

written by RyanGDI

PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT WINDOWS 2000!!! ME AND MANY OF MY FRIENDS USE PJ64 ON WINDOWS 2000 OPERATING SYSTEMS! PLEASE DO NOT DROP WIN 2000 SUPPORT!!!

Thanks!!! :)