View Single Post
Old 8th July 2017, 04:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTurboTurkeyStuffer View Post
It's more about explaining why GLideN64 is both fast and accurate. GLideN64's obvious advantage is that it is both accurate and very fast. Moreso than Glide64, which has no meaningful performance advantages and woefully awful accuracy for every single N64 game right down to Mario 64.
That's objectively false. Glide64 still runs S2DEX games better. If you call the performance gap between Glide64 and GLideN64 "not a meaningful performance advantage", then HLE is a complete waste of time.

Quote:
It requires newer hardware than a Glide-based plugin? What a shock!
It shouldn't be a shocker that someone who cares about hardware compatibility would not make GLideN64 the default plugin..
Quote:
Also, why is it a problem that it is slower? Especially considering its performance is quite obviously fine?
Fine for you maybe. Not necessarily "fine" for everyone. Having slow HLE is pointless. Might as well use LLE and not have to deal with as many accuracy issues.
Quote:
Let's be clear here. GLideN64 does not have performance issues, performs objectively better than Glide64, and performance on older devices that aren't ridiculously ancient is not an issue.
It certainly does not perform "objectively" better. The only edge it has is FB read and maybe texture loading. GLideN64's sync mode performance is slower than z64gl on my desktop IGP, so that could definitely use some improvement.. Yes Glide64's FB read performance isn't great (a little slower than GLideN64's sync mode), but optimizing FB read performance shouldn't be a difficult task.
Quote:
I feel this is a misuse of the word "optimized". Glide64 has terrible performance and even worse accuracy.
As terrible as Glide64's performance is, it's still better than GLideN64's performance overall.
Quote:
Wait, you mean the absolutely terrible idea of using per-game hacks? The one that doesn't hold up to 30 seconds of thinking about potential edge cases? Proper FB notification is a feature that should be pursued, and GLideN64 supports it, but it has issues with too many games. Would be extremely useful for Pokemon Snap and Jet Force Gemini, though.
Implementing per-game FB notification is like working on HLE. It requires a lot of work, but the performance is much better when done right.
Quote:
What flaws? You're the one arguing that a plugin with serious issues that very likely can't be fixed is better because it is "faster". (How do you suggest Zilmar fix Glide64's mipmapping, noise emulation, and generally completely incorrect framebuffer emulation, for example? Gonetz was right to ditch it.)
Obviously the ones zilmar mentioned like the bloat. I hardly see "just port the gui to WTL" as a solution. I mean first of all, that's a no brainer and should go without saying. Second of all, GUI work might not be something he wants to do, after already doing so for Glide64. glN64 has all of those problems you mentioned . Glide64 is just a starting point.
Quote:
You can acknowledge whatever you like. PJ64 is not the "best overall" emulator out of the box. It has too many serious problems that require addressing. Anyone who recommends PJ64 in its current state should be ashamed of themselves.
You put far too much weight onto which plugins to pick as default. Users can choose whatever plugins they want. The exe is the most important factor. The out of the box experience for m64p is far worse. It doesn't even have a GUI for pete's sake. If you put more importance on what plugins are packaged with the emulator rather than the quality of the actual emulator, please have the decency to make that clear when advertising that "M64p > PJ64". I'm sure most people do not think what plugins are packaged with the emulator are the most important thing.

There are legitimate reasons to use M64p over PJ64, but to tell users (especially Windows users), that m64p is objectively better is just plain false. There's no good reason to spread such biased statements.

I still can't be bothered to touch that emulator. The only way to make it bearable is to use libretro.

Last edited by RPGMaster; 8th July 2017 at 04:36 AM.