View Single Post
Old 5th December 2018, 01:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmiles32 View Post
What I used personally to study ucodes, is to dump them from DRAM before starting RSP execution. You get the starting DRAM address of the ucode by reading DMEM[0xfd0-0x0fd3]. (For games that don't use the traditional boot ucode, use DMEM[0xfc8-0xfcb]). Once you have a binary dump of the ucode, just use a disassembler on that (I use https://bitbucket.org/ottehr/rsp-tools, but you can use whatever you like).

I know that you really want to work on GFX ucode specifically, but those are the most difficult to reverse engineer because the code flow is really messy, and they are bigger than other tasks.
For starters, and to get the feeling of what it takes to reverse engineer ucode, I would rather suggest you to try the jpeg tasks, which are easier (code flow is not very convoluted, they actually implement a known algorithm, and they are fully reverse engineered), yet not trivial.
If you want something shorter, just try to undertand the boot ucode.

When studying a ucode, you should identify:
-where are the ending point(s)
-where are the DMA functions, do they load things to IMEM (and therefore can modify the ucode...) or DMEM.
-if you can spot functions (starting, ending addresses and parameters)
Then try to build a map of DMEM to identify the purpose of each addresses
(is this a constant ? what size is this data ? ... ).
Wow this was such an informative post! It's a shame that this post was never approved until now. It's still useful 4 years later. Thanks a lot bsmiles32 .