View Single Post
Old 8th July 2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
There's no debate that GLideN64 is the most accurate HLE video plugin. It's unnecessary to try and explain all the ways in which GLideN64 is more accurate. If accuracy was the #1 criteria, I'm sure Angrylion's would be the default.
It's more about explaining why GLideN64 is both fast and accurate. GLideN64's obvious advantage is that it is both accurate and very fast. Moreso than Glide64, which has no meaningful performance advantages and woefully awful accuracy for every single N64 game right down to Mario 64.

Quote:
The problem with GLideN64 is that it requires relatively new hardware and has worse performance.
It requires newer hardware than a Glide-based plugin? What a shock!

Let's be clear here. GLideN64 does not have performance issues, performs objectively better than Glide64, and performance on older devices that aren't ridiculously ancient is not an issue. (Since a fix is being worked on for exactly these "I don't want to buy an actual GPU" cases.)

GLideN64 is a project that is dramatically improving on a pretty much week by week basis. Meanwhile, Glide64 has actually gotten worse since 2008 in a few areas. Texture rendering in particular. There's a serious texture corruption issue in Glide64.

Quote:
Glide64 is more optimized overall.
I feel this is a misuse of the word "optimized". Glide64 has terrible performance and even worse accuracy. (Like, what's the point of running Conker slightly faster on Glide64 when the plugin can't render any of the ground textures properly?)

Quote:
FB read performance will not be an issue if per-game FB notification is implemented.
Wait, you mean the absolutely terrible idea of using per-game hacks? The one that doesn't hold up to 30 seconds of thinking about potential edge cases? Proper FB notification is a feature that should be pursued, and GLideN64 supports it, but it has issues with too many games. Would be extremely useful for Pokemon Snap and Jet Force Gemini, though.

Quote:
What should be addressed are the flaws, not what it excels at.
What flaws?

Quote:
Being good at one thing doesn't necessarily make up for flaws.
What flaws? You're the one arguing that a plugin with serious issues that very likely can't be fixed is better because it is "faster". (How do you suggest Zilmar fix Glide64's mipmapping, noise emulation, and generally completely incorrect framebuffer emulation, for example? Gonetz was right to ditch it.)

Quote:
PJ64 isn't even my main N64 emulator, but I still acknowledge it as the objectively best overall N64 emulator.
You can acknowledge whatever you like. PJ64 is not the "best overall" emulator out of the box. It has too many serious problems that require addressing. Anyone who recommends PJ64 in its current state should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by SuperTurboTurkeyStuffer; 8th July 2017 at 04:06 AM.