Old 2nd March 2010, 12:35 AM

Default Using a controller with PJ64

Hello,

I am having trouble using my AxisPad with PJ64. I have callibrated it in Windows CP Gaming. It is recognized by PJ64 (in the dropdown of input), but does not respond in any fashion whatsoever in any game I have attempted to play. Can someone give me some pointers on how to configure this thing (maybe a configuration file that someone has already got to work for this model)?

I have considered picking up one of the USB converters. I have an old N64 system with two controllers. If I were to go the converter route and use an original N64 controller do I need a memory pack as well? Or will the save games be on the hard drive?

From experience, what would be the best route to go to get a controller working?

Thanks,
David
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:03 AM

Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you mapped your axispad buttons/sticks to the N64 buttons/stick? Each N64 button is listed, with next to it the name of the button it's mapped to. For Jabo's default input plugin, you click the white square next to the N64 button name and then press whichever input you want it mapped to.
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alunalun View Post
Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you mapped your axispad buttons/sticks to the N64 buttons/stick? Each N64 button is listed, with next to it the name of the button it's mapped to. For Jabo's default input plugin, you click the white square next to the N64 button name and then press whichever input you want it mapped to.
Well, du-huh . I thought I had, but kept getting a message that the button was already in use. I finally did it about 5X of resetting the defaults and then saving the profile. But now I loose the stick settings while in the game (e.i. a direction, such as left or right, will stop working) and will have to stop and restart PJ64.

Does this sound like an emulator problem or maybe the gamepad going out (it is about 8+ years old)? Also, how well do the USB converters work? The Mayflash or Sumo work better?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by Rekhmire; 3rd March 2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:41 AM

The 'button is already in use' is a bit of a pain, but you can unassign all the N64 buttons by pressing Esc when you go to configure them. So if you unassign them all you can then configure your pad without having to worry about this error.

I haven't heard of or experienced analogue sticks stopping responding like that, so I don't think it's to do with the emulator. So yes, maybe your gamepad has a dodgy connection inside or in the lead or something. You can probably fix that with a bit of solder, but before you do that try updating your drivers because this often fixes a range of problems. EDIT: but if you find that restarting project64 fixes it then it can't be a hardware problem, ignore me. Yeah, try the drivers.

Playing with actual N64 controllers with real memory packs and USB adapters has a few issues, but I don't know about them. Other people can help, though.

Last edited by Alunalun; 3rd March 2010 at 11:45 AM.

Tags
axispad, controller, input, usb converter