Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 4th March 2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_randomizer View Post
I was merely making an observation on the current status of said site, nothing more. Nothing wrong with the layout of the site, either.
what you really want to say is - "This SOB and its bullshit kill this forum".
Old 4th March 2014, 09:10 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinminone View Post
what you really want to say is - "This SOB and its bullshit kill this forum".
Um, okay....way to take what I said outta context Seriously, I was voicing my opinions and observations, nowhere did I ever say this thread was bullshit. Don't take what I say outta context again, please. Oy vey...Some people. If you're going to quote what I say, don't quote part of it and misconstrue my words. I don't appreciate it.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way

Last edited by the_randomizer; 4th March 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 4th March 2014, 10:33 AM

Well, it's kinda true, though. People can only wait or take so much crap before they lose interest and/or get fed up. Those that emulate rather casually moved on to newer projects like Dolphin, and those who actually want to contribute toward the progress of N64 emulation went toward more active projects, such as Mupen64Plus. That's where all the action is nowadays. The only reason Project64 retains any shreds of relevance is due to riding on its past fame (due to having been one of the only worthwhile emulators for a very long time), and that it has a relatively user-friendly interface. Same thing with ePSXe.
Old 4th March 2014, 05:24 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDP View Post
Well, it's kinda true, though. People can only wait or take so much crap before they lose interest and/or get fed up. Those that emulate rather casually moved on to newer projects like Dolphin, and those who actually want to contribute toward the progress of N64 emulation went toward more active projects, such as Mupen64Plus. That's where all the action is nowadays. The only reason Project64 retains any shreds of relevance is due to riding on its past fame (due to having been one of the only worthwhile emulators for a very long time), and that it has a relatively user-friendly interface. Same thing with ePSXe.
Eh, I still use Mupen64 0.5 by Hacktarux.

Aside from zilmar's connections to people at the time, probably what made Project64 so famously successful was his reverse-engineering of the RSP. All the other emulators just relied on HLE'ing the RSP, and this did not have full compatibility. (But with 1964's microcode decompiler and the MusyX stuff going on at EmuTalk, LLE isn't quite as justified when every possible, known HLE ucode may be supported but ... let's hold the gun for that until mudlord reverse-engineers all the possible ways to write a game.) Even more obviously, Jabo's plugins. Think what kind of graphics emulation Project64 would have, if it weren't for Jabo? And if Jabo hadn't chipped in a DirectSound plugin, zilmar would probably have to resign to including Azimer's audio, or else persist with that crackling basic audio demonstration plugin he wrote.

Anyway, not even the open-source activity at Mupen64Plus, has figured out yet how to install the RSP clock re-tasking method zilmar installed to replicate cycle-accuracy for the signal mask bits, so I still wouldn't be able to test Mupen64Plus for accurate LLE audio and the stuff that goes on in Gauntlet Legends gfx LLE etc. So, since zilmar went on so far as to introduce things like that, I'd have to say he has the lead on real progress. Mupen64Plus probably spend their time fixing old recompiler bugs from the real Mupen64. (I don't really use the recompiler core that much anyway.)

Quote:
It's just, when I registered on this site as a beta/alpha tester, there was way more activity, but now that PJ64 is past the beta stages, what more can I contribute? Nothing.

I don't know jack shit about programming, much less improving PJ64 or its plugins, so, there ya have it. I don't mind you keeping the discussion here, sorry if it sounded like I was saying otherwise, I wasn't, so no worries. If I can't contribute or help test, report bugs in plugins or the emulator itself, no point in me being here anymore. And not, not trying to be an attention whore, it's true, the beta stage is long gone, Zilmar has gone AWOL, the only thing that can improve now really, are plugins. With no programming skills, yeah...
It's ok. I haven't really been paying much attention to site news either.
Heck, took me a while to eventually update to Project64 2.1 and see the news on that.

It's somewhat arbitrary that I posted development stuff on this forum.
This is after all, just the PJ64 forum, not, the center forum of all N64-related progress.
But it's not like I can post it on other sites like EmuTalk anyway.

Just thought I'd ask if you happened to prefer a different environment or something. Lately I've actually been talking more about development status with emulation on different IRC channels than any forums I've been going to actually, but, since you probably just want the releases, no big deal. You're busy with having a life in the world. That is the same reason why this project is on hold of course; it's not that zilmar doesn't want to come back to it. At the same time, it doesn't concern me so much.

And yeah, you don't really have anything left to test on this board when it comes to RSP emulation. It seems to be unanimously established that my RSP plugin has no problems anywhere. The only thing left I could do is hand-code the SSE.
Old 5th March 2014, 06:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Ugh, there I go sounding like a rambling ass yet again I really need to keep my half-baked opinions to myself... Anyways, I don't mind what happens on this site at all, whatever happens, happens. To be perfectly honest, I haven't payed any attention to N64 emulation as of late, simply because I don't have high hopes to future major development, but at the same time, I don't want to be negative, I need to have a balance.

There's programs like CEN64, which is cycle-accurate emulation, so the N64 emulation scene isn't dead, but it's nothing like it was five-ten years ago, so, from here, I don't know what I'm going to do around these parts. Maybe I'll go into 3D modelling since I've already taught myself to rig 3D models for Super Smash Brawl modding, I dunno. I just feel like my being here is giving me third whee syndrome. Not trying to rush people or expect them to release plugins or improvements out at a super fast pace, whenever it's released, it's released

Sort of a damned if I do, damned if I don't. I don't mind what transpires here at all, so please, don't take what I said the wrong way, if anything can be done to improve PJ64 or N64 emulation as a whole in the long, well, you know Again, the environment itself is perfectly fine, I just don't feel like I belong on here or even feel that welcome, that's all. No one's fault but my own really. I could always hop on IRC channels that you guys frequent, but I'd be in the exact same position I'm in now, a third wheel. Hell, I don't even know what IRC channels you guys even use lol.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way

Last edited by the_randomizer; 5th March 2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 5th March 2014, 05:05 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

lol, like I said, it's fine.
Even if I realize I don't agree about something specific, it doesn't like, make me mad at you.

I will say this much though.
Sometimes I think silence is the best sign of action.
Too many times have we interpreted news, words and claims as "events", and they eventually decay from prematurity.
Relaxation and other hobbies, can be more important than work, too.

(At the same time, I didn't talk much during most of the time frame before I did my very first RSP plugin release, but that changed because I was learning so much technical information I was only interested in conversation from a development point of view. Even then, wasn't intent on ever doing a binary release.)

Anyway with that said, maybe in some ways you do come across as negative, but, all I'm really worried about is getting my shit done lol. Project64 forum without zilmar = cluster of discussions from other developers, so if you decide you're not interested in actual development (you probably could do something easy like those input plugins etc.) then it'd only make sense that you'd be bored here.

Quote:
I could always hop on IRC channels that you guys frequent, but I'd be in the exact same position I'm in now, a third wheel. Hell, I don't even know what IRC channels you guys even use lol.
Heh, if the option isn't interesting to you, don't worry about it.
Forums are starting to bore at least me, anyway.
Old 5th March 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Anyway, not even the open-source activity at Mupen64Plus, has figured out yet how to install the RSP clock re-tasking method zilmar installed to replicate cycle-accuracy for the signal mask bits, so I still wouldn't be able to test Mupen64Plus for accurate LLE audio and the stuff that goes on in Gauntlet Legends gfx LLE etc. So, since zilmar went on so far as to introduce things like that, I'd have to say he has the lead on real progress. Mupen64Plus probably spend their time fixing old recompiler bugs from the real Mupen64. (I don't really use the recompiler core that much anyway.)
Where in the code did Zilmar implement these core improvements? Would it be possible to adapt them to Mupen64Plus? I would think if this emulator is no longer under active development, it would be a damn shame if it took these things to the grave with it.
Old 6th March 2014, 03:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Not really up to me at this point.

Some time ago I already sent to ecsv, in reply to some discussion about my RSP changes, an essay of my understanding of zilmar's change attached to the precise offset of the C++ source file zilmar installed the timing hack for to fix the RSP for those games, and whoever is really in charge of the Mupen64 core just hasn't been able to analogize it to the way Mupen64 was designed I guess.

I gave a mostly accurate essay and excerpted the exact line numbers of the Project64 source that were attached to this extra compatibility, but that information is useless because I myself have been unable to find where in the Mupen64Plus source the RSP thread timer or initialization even exists. I looked through almost every single file, sometimes repeatedly, of the m64+ repo from top to bottom and couldn't make out where the RSP threading happened. I hate to say it, but even zilmar's code made more sense to me in that department...I was able to find where it was for pj64, just not the mupen64plus forks.

Anyway, I very highly doubt zilmar just simply "stopped" developing this emulator. I know perfectly well how it feels to balance time with other projects of interest and work in life, and it's 95% unlikely that zilmar's going to take what's in for this project "to the grave". But, that's not really a matter of me having faith in him, just something from the perspective of my experience. As long as he's out there alive in the world somehow, he'll have every desire to play around with one of his first-ever projects sometime. He just needs some time to reflect on changes to programmer style, methods and personality before he'll really regain interest.
Old 6th March 2014, 08:00 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Sometimes I think silence is the best sign of action.
Old 8th March 2014, 10:11 PM
Project Supporter

It seems the CBFD ucode does something funny with POLEF to produce the resonant filter effects. I am not sure how that works. It seems to have coefficient lists of:

39, 78, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
32338, -16123, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

I also produced a disassembly of the code, but it seems HLE efforts have already disassembled it and tried to figure out how it works with coefficients like these.

https colon slash slash www dot dropbox dot com slash s slash f6ludmd45bkgr65 slash rocksolid_disasm dot zip

And there was a bug in your disassembler. The func being calculated from IW was turned negative if IW was also negative, since it's a signed integer, and modulo works on negative numbers to return negative results.