Old 19th May 2011, 04:06 PM
Project Supporter

Default Ocarina of Time issue

Game: Legend of Zelda Oot 1.0
Version used: 1.7.0.50
Plugin used: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.57-ver5

Issue: Game loads up fine, I can access my profile, however, when I try to access the pause menu, I get the error in the attached image. I've tried everything I can do, but it seems the only solution is to go into software rendering, which slows it down and makes it look more blocky. Is there another solution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3d error.jpg (10.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 19th May 2011, 06:49 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Project64 Team

What kind of graphics card/system do you have? Has this ever worked for you or is it just this particular moment?
Old 19th May 2011, 07:08 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Just in case also if you've used cheats or saved states (quick saves basically) often while playing they can cause that error message as well.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:32 PM
Project Supporter

It's been a while since I've played PJ64, but to help, my OS is Windows Vista, and my graphics card is an Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, according to the plugin. I haven't tried OoT with this particular plugin, but I do remember successfully accessing the pause menu in earlier versions of Jabo and 1964video.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

But with this particular version of the plugin you use now, that error always happens no matter what?

If so could you send a saved state made just before the crash (more-or-less as close as possible to when it happens) so that I can see if it stores the data in the state where I load it?
Old 19th May 2011, 09:17 PM
Project Supporter

I don't see how I can make a savestate, as it always happens as soon as I press "start" to bring up the sub-screens, independent of where I am when I do so. Outside of putting it in software rendering, yes, this error happens no matter what.

I have attached a savestate regardless of how useful it may be, as it is probably the rules to do so. For all I know, on your computer, you would press Start and it would bring up the sub-screens just fine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip debugsave.zip (1.55 MB, 1 views)
Old 19th May 2011, 10:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well that's not what happened, but thanks for offering anyway.

I'm not understanding the explanation of your doubt, though. None of that automatically meant that data wasn't stored in the game RAM that could have caused the access violation to happen once you pause (and regardless of where you are).

Also, it's more a question of--how far in could you generate a saved state before it would crash. Does the access violation happen the instant you press START or a small instant later, because sometimes pressing START to pause generates different code on your system than it does on mine.

But either way, it's looking safe to presume that's not the issue here.

Have you tested some of the older builds of Jabo's Direct3D 1.7 to see where this problem is introduced? You can see all betas of the plugin through filtering on the "View All Files" link on the beta downloads page.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:26 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Project64 Team

Yea if you can isolate a version that worked better (even 1.6 if necessary) it would be greatly helpful
Old 20th May 2011, 06:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHighwind View Post
I do remember successfully accessing the pause menu in earlier versions of Jabo and 1964video.
So far it looks like he was able to get some of the older versions working (I guess D3D8 1.6 and 1.5.2?), bearing in mind that it's likely the proneness of the issue may have been introduced during beta development. So it would be very helpful if you could narrow down which Jabo's Direct3D 1.7.0.[x] beta release build where the crashing has been introduced.
Old 20th May 2011, 08:20 PM
Project Supporter

Sorry I wasn't clear, but the crash happens the instant I press start. I will try older builds, though, and will get back to you when I can.