Old 3rd June 2016, 01:45 AM

Question Still Gauntlet Legends Issues

!! Disclaimer for all the silly people out there. While I do not currently own this game as a physical copy, I have physically gone to the store and purchased this years ago, and I only don't have it now, because I have moved enough times to make a pilgrim jealous !!

So I have spent the better part of 6+ hours searching in and out of site after site looking for a solution to this issue. I have tried glide64, I have tried using rice's plugin's(all of them), I have tried napalm, I have tried using other emulators, I have tried all the different setting option, other roms and as many re-installs to last a life time. And it still refuses to work properly. Seriously guys, how have we not figured out how to reverse engineer the software for an almost 20 year old console on the pc? Not complaining, just blows my mind we still haven't gotten this perfect yet, drat.

Anyways, my issues are as follows(Using PJ64 1.6.1 and the USA version rom from emuparadise as they seem to work the best at base setting and plugins), while not game breaking, the sound could use a little touch up as it's a but choppy and cuts out every now and then, the background flickers about every two to three frames a second, the status bar is a solid black color, the frame-rate isn't very good(mind you I can run Ocarina of Time at 300%)

My attempts to fix the issue with my current set up are as follows, all with little to no success. Making sure I am running Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6.1, Running in a resolution that is under 16 AND 32 bit that matches my monitor's, and check marking the boxes(under graphic's options advanced setting) Legacy Pixel Pipeline and Direct3D Transformation Pipeline(however for the second one, every time I start or stop a rom, the box unchecked itself) And I have done the following because someone on two threads insists that it fixes the issue, when it does not for me, sadly.

I no longer know where to turn to fix this issue, as this is truly a nostalgic game for me, and I wish to experience it once again, but when every possible solution I find doesn't help, I think it's time to re ask the question. Once again, I am running PJ64 1.6.1 and the USA version rom from emuparadise.

P.S. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful to anyone reading or trying to help with this, I am just at the end of my ropes, and I don't like that I wasn't able to just find the solution to my issue. I'm not bad with computers, in fact, i want to go to college for computer science, so don't be afraid to go into details with possible solutions, I can keep up for the most part. Thanks for the help.
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You know there are more recent versions of PJ64 right? 1.6.1 is extremely outdated. You're better off using Glide64 or GlideN64 for the plugin.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 3rd June 2016, 04:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyNote View Post
So I have spent the better part of 6+ hours searching in and out of site after site looking for a solution to this issue. I have tried glide64, I have tried using rice's plugin's(all of them), I have tried napalm, I have tried using other emulators, I have tried all the different setting option, other roms and as many re-installs to last a life time. And it still refuses to work properly. Seriously guys, how have we not figured out how to reverse engineer the software for an almost 20 year old console on the pc? Not complaining, just blows my mind we still haven't gotten this perfect yet, drat.
YOu're using old software and wonder why it's not fixed . Project64 has improved in many ways. In fact, 1.6 cannot even run Gauntlet Legends when using Low Level Emulation graphics.

The graphics look fine in Angrylion's

Anyway, your best bet is to wait for a new vulkan plugin, if you have a relatively new computer. Otherwise you're kinda out of luck because even adding hacks doesn't get me consistent full speed with Angrylion's.
Old 17th June 2016, 07:52 AM

So wait, is angrylion a emulator? Also, where do you think I should go for glide64/glideN64 or this angrylion? Thanks for the assist, didn't know there were newer versions of these things.
Old 17th June 2016, 08:09 AM

Just so I don't fooge this up anymore, is anyone willing to give me a run down/step by step thing to get this running smoothly. What emulator and plugins i should have and from where? I would greatly appreciate it. My computer isn't all that amazing, but i would like to think that it can at least run Nintendo 64 games smoothly.
Old 17th June 2016, 12:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You should use Rice's Video Plugin, and you probably should use 1964 instead of Project64 to get way less core overhead. It's the only plugin that will render the HUD in accelerated graphics, though you may have to press the C buttons to refresh it if the magic meter replenishment causes it to flicker off automatically when the game first starts. You should also tweak the INI file to reduce some of the cruft from unsupported frame buffer effects. I wrote an INI for it but can't remember it.

If you're feeling very confident about your CPU horsepower or if you reach a level where it is possible that Rice's plugin will crash, then you should switch either to angrylion's plugin or to Glide64 Final. (Or upgrade to Project64 2.3 which comes with PJGlide64 with Mupen64Plus' improvements.)
Old 17th June 2016, 12:52 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

As far as writing a complete run-down, my experiences with playing Gauntlet Legends or where to download first- and third-party plugins etc. I could write one, but it would take significantly more time for me to have written one 10 times instead of 9 times when I could just search the web for where I had previously written it. Hmm except that takes time for me to do, too, oops.

Just read this though:
Quote:
I have tried glide64, I have tried using rice's plugin's(all of them),
Yeah the missing HUD won't work out-of-the-box with Rice; you have to set the current game options while the game is running. I think (don't assume this is correct) I had render-to-texture set to Basic and frame buffer effects set to Hide; if not that play around with it some more until the HUD shows up. Remember that hitting the C buttons will re-render the HUD if any flickering wiped it out.

That said, you could probably avoid all this by installing angrylion's graphics plugin, but I doubt you'd like the speed.

Tags
bug fix, gauntlet legends, missing status bar, pj64 1.6.1, screen flicker