Old 27th December 2017, 08:24 PM

Default Offset thumbstick calibration

Hello everyone,

Seeing as my old N64 controllers had seen better days many years ago Iíd like to find a decent substitute, preferably something that can still be bought brand new, and wireless would be amazing.

Iíve seen from this forum that some of you are using wireless XBox One controllers which is great, however....

Iíll be using the controllers solely for Mario Kart 64 which as youíll know is heavily reliant on the left/right movement of the thumbstick for power slides. The N64 controllers are the only ones Iím aware of that aligned the thumbstick grab handle with the thumbstick itself so your thumb would move naturally to create a left/right/back/forward input on the joystick.

Controllers for the PS3/4 or XBox have angled grab handles so your thumb doesnít move in a natural manner to achieve left and right on the thumbstick.

So, after that long-winded explanation, can anyone please tell me if either Project64, or a plug-in, or any other software that could be used in conjunction with it, would allow you to calibrate a thumbstick to achieve a natural left/right thumb movement with an angled grab handle such as an XBox controller?

Hopefully that kind of makes sense!!!

By the way, due to my gratitude for all the help Iíve received from this forum, yesterday I set up $5 a month donation via Patreon and assumed it would say Project Supporter next to my name but it doesnít appear to. Not sure if Iíve done something incorrectly but the monthly payment has definitely been setup. Any advice there would be appreciated too.

Thanks as always for your help!

Justin
Old 29th December 2017, 02:50 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin8571 View Post

Iíve seen from this forum that some of you are using wireless XBox One controllers which is great, however....

Iíll be using the controllers solely for Mario Kart 64 which as youíll know is heavily reliant on the left/right movement of the thumbstick for power slides. The N64 controllers are the only ones Iím aware of that aligned the thumbstick grab handle with the thumbstick itself so your thumb would move naturally to create a left/right/back/forward input on the joystick.

Controllers for the PS3/4 or XBox have angled grab handles so your thumb doesnít move in a natural manner to achieve left and right on the thumbstick.
If you've got a lot of money to blow you can buy an elite (or maybe 3rd party for less?) xbox one controller that has extra thumbsticks you can change out that I think would do what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin8571 View Post
By the way, due to my gratitude for all the help Iíve received from this forum, yesterday I set up $5 a month donation via Patreon and assumed it would say Project Supporter next to my name but it doesnít appear to. Not sure if Iíve done something incorrectly but the monthly payment has definitely been setup. Any advice there would be appreciated too.
The Supporter rank is from the old donation system.
Old 1st January 2018, 08:35 AM

Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've taken a look at the Elite controller and you're right about it being a lot of money! £120 and then I'd need to spend another £20 on Microsoft's wireless adapter. For now that's too much for me to spend on a gamble, but if my alternative cheaper gamble works out then I may look to get one in the future. From what I can see though there's still no way of rotating the left thumbstick's axis, only the sensitivity can be adjusted, plus the thumbstick itself is interchangeable with a few different shaped heads which is a good idea.

I am however going to pick up a standard Xbox One controller later today (my alternative cheaper gamble). For £50 I can get a wireless controller with a wireless adapter included in the box. I'm hoping that by moving my left thumb naturally left and right (as you would on an N64 controller), it will be close enough to the Xbox One controller's true left/right axis to detect power slides and not detract from the gameplay.

And thanks for letting me know about the supporter thing, I wondered if I hadn't done something correctly.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some time later in the week to install Project64/Mario Kart 64 (as I've just built a new PC), and once I've got everything up and running I'll update this thread with my findings on the controller.

Thanks again for your help

Justin
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:01 AM

Hello again,

Had Mario Kart 64 up and running yesterday with a wireless Xbox One controller and it was amazing, so smooth. It turns out having the thumbstick slightly offset didn't appear to be an issue whatsoever and the controller felt very natural to use. Also the controller was surprisingly easy to connect to the PC and Project64 made setting up the controller a simple process.

I did a short video of me using the wireless controller and sent it to our Mario Kart WhatsApp group. I'm picking up a further three controllers later today on their behalf and we'll be getting together Tuesday 9th to see how it handles four wireless controllers at once.

Thanks for your help

Justin
Old 11th January 2018, 11:01 PM

Hello everyone,

just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in time and wonders about the outcome...

I'm using Project64 v2.3.2 on Windows 10 with a Windows wireless adapter that came with one of the Xbox One controllers I got. Project64 is working flawlessly with four wireless Xbox One controllers, it's absolutely perfect and I can't recommend going wireless enough.

Good luck and enjoy

Justin