Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 9th April 2013, 12:45 AM

Default How To Install Texture Packs?

I have Project64 2.0.0.14, and I want to load up Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time texture packs, but when I add "hires_textures" to Plugins with my files and switch on Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4, it flashes the picture of it loading HD textures, but skips over them and carries over to the game without the new textures. I've been having headache after headache over this, so I finally cracked and came here. Can somebody tell me what's happening?
Old 9th April 2013, 12:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Not the expert in Hi-Res texture packs, but here is a thread that may help. Let me know, otherwise I'll summon the Squall Ball for answers.
Old 9th April 2013, 01:07 AM

I'm relatively new here, so I have no clue what Glide64 is. Is it better optimised for 2.0.0.14? Or at least is it able to load up HD Packs in 2.0.0.14? Here's my current file layout:
-Project64 v2.0
-->Plugins
--->hires_textures
---->LEGEND OF ZELDA

The "LEGEND OF ZELDA" file is nothing but folders and images. I never could figure out the file structures past v1.6 (which had simple structures. I could easily install an HD Pack but after 1.6, I could never install a pack).
Old 9th April 2013, 01:26 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Well, I've never tried installing texture packs myself, but glide64 is now what will be further supported by pj64. Use the glidewrapper to install. The latest version of glide64 is what you need find the link given by squall in my above post.) As usual, plugins are to installed in the plugins folder. Use glidewrapper to do what it does best.
Old 9th April 2013, 01:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

The Glide64 and Glidewrapper can be found here.

Glide64 Readme

Plugins go in the plugins folder

Textures go in plugins/cache

Glidewrapper is if you lack a voodoo card. Which you probably do.
Old 10th April 2013, 03:36 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaEagle View Post
I'm relatively new here, so I have no clue what Glide64 is. Is it better optimised for 2.0.0.14? Or at least is it able to load up HD Packs in 2.0.0.14? Here's my current file layout:
-Project64 v2.0
-->Plugins
--->hires_textures
---->LEGEND OF ZELDA

The "LEGEND OF ZELDA" file is nothing but folders and images. I never could figure out the file structures past v1.6 (which had simple structures. I could easily install an HD Pack but after 1.6, I could never install a pack).
You spelled "hires_texture" and "Plugin" wrong. There's no "s" in the ending of them.

-Project64 v2.0
--Plugin
---hires_texture
----LEGEND OF ZELDA

▐▀▌█ ▐▀ ▐▐
. . . ▐▄▌▐ ▐▀▌▀▌. . .
▐ ▄▄▌▐▄▌ ▐

Last edited by TheLegend; 10th April 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10th April 2013, 07:26 AM

im just wondering, has anyone found a way to load cached .dat texture packs on 2.0 w/o having the actual hires textures?

It worked on 1.6 where all you needed was the cached files, but in 2.0 they wont load.
It only loads when you have the image files in the hires_texture folder.
Old 10th April 2013, 03:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

2.0 does not affect the way dat files are loaded at all.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 10th April 2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
2.0 does not affect the way dat files are loaded at all.
well since you said this i decided to go into troubleshooting on my end a little more, but 2.0 is still different from 1.6 when handling textures.

im using glide64 final
in the plugin settings i have
-format: rice format
-active crc calculation (have tried both off and on)
-use alpha settings fully
-save texture cache to hard disk
(and i have use LAA on the exe for larger textures)

Now i tried copying the texture cache from my pj64 1.6, and it wasnt happening, none of them loaded. Ive also tried download a .dat texture pack (Djipi's 2011 cellshade packs), and those wont load from a .dat.
So i think its pretty clear 2.0 will NOT load texture pack caches made in 1.6

I dont remember the conditions of last time, maybe it crashed or something, but i tried loading a normal texture pack, and it cached it in 2.0, and i deleted the texture pack and it wouldnt load the cache.
(i no longer have the problem now, tho i only tried that once before post, so i guess that must have been a fluke or something lol)

anyway, now in 1.6 when i would cache a texture pack w/o compression, the cache would be almost the size of the texture pack (its alittle smaller, but i figure that is because there are always textures not being used in the texture packs)

In 2.0 when you cache a texture pack w/o compression, the .dat is ALOT smaller (which i think threw me off making me think it was corrupt).

but for example lets say Mollymutt's mario 64 texture pack.
When you are loading the pack, it unpacks like 263MB, the .dat cache when uncompressed is like 75.3MB.
When i use texture compression, it only unpacks 78.4MB, and the .dat cache for the compression is like 73.8MB

so, is pj64 2.0 compressing the texture packs on its own? since uncompressed, it does a huge compression, and when using compression through the video plugin it compresses the compression even further.

Also the time in which it writes to the cache is also changed.
I remember in pj64 1.6, after loading a texture pack, it would write to the cache after ending the emulation.
In 2.0 it doesnt cache the texture pack until the 2nd time you load the game.

Which that causes problems, as if you crash or close the emulator (before loading the game a 2nd time), it seems to then actually corrupt the cache (which im guessing is what happened with the 1st pack i tried alittle while back).

So i guess i did get it working now, but 2.0 does handle textures a bit differently from 1.6.

EDIT: ok now its even more wierd
after doing all the texture packs (i only did the smaller ones at first), it seems the sizes od the .dat files seem right.
It was just those first few games which game me a problem with that.

And now i noticed that the texture packs did like crazy over dumps or something, cuz the like mario64 texture pack was like 78MB and when it loaded into memory it said like 263MB something, so im not sure how its loading more then whats avilable to load.
And what happened is those packs that were like over dumped or w/e, no longer load from the .dat files at all...

So i deleted them, and retried and now they are the right sizes (mario loads 78MB as it was supposed to), and all the other ones that i had problems with sizes had the exact same thing happen, and after reloading them again, they now also show the right size, and now everything works as it should.

so idk whats going on with that lol

Last edited by filenotfound; 10th April 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 07:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

the cache is not written to the disk immediately.

the pj64 process hangs about for a minute or so after exit to finish writing the cache to disk, but you can force this immediately by opening the glide64 settings screen.

Quote:
I remember in pj64 1.6, after loading a texture pack, it would write to the cache after ending the emulation.
In 2.0 it doesnt cache the texture pack until the 2nd time you load the game.
2.0 does not end the emulation core instance (thus leaving the plugins initiated) on rom close, to make reopening the same rom quicker.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Last edited by squall_leonhart; 10th April 2013 at 07:17 PM.