Old 21st April 2015, 11:26 AM

Default Banjo-Tooie Issue

Hi, not sure if this a game related issue or an emulator issue but since I couldn't find anything related to this I figure its the latter.

This issue appears in Boogy's Hut on Hailfire Peaks, when you have the fish in your inventory that you are supposed to deliver to Boogy but instead you go in the basement.
When you get near the first bed (and with that I assume close to Boogy disregarding the z-axis distance), Banjo suddenly pulls out the fish and throws it in the air.
You hear Boogy choking and spitting out a golden jiggy (like it would happen when you deliver it normally), however since you're not close to Boggy the following dialog isn't initiated and the game doesn't react to any input anymore (not even "Start"), forcing you pretty much to restore the game or restart the emulator.

If it helps anything I could upload a savestate where you are in front of Boggy's hut with the fish already in the inventory.
Old 21st April 2015, 02:51 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I would like a savestate please. I will test with GLideN64 and test with depth compare if you would like.
Old 21st April 2015, 05:05 PM

Since I can't post urls yet you'll have to correct the link yourself (replace '*'s with '.'s):
www*mediafire*com/download/1hbw1qo7ib8peo5/Banjo-Tooie+%28U%29.pj.zip

I used the latest official version of Project64, 2.2.0.3.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:44 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapeth View Post
Hi, not sure if this a game related issue or an emulator issue but since I couldn't find anything related to this I figure its the latter.

This issue appears in Boogy's Hut on Hailfire Peaks, when you have the fish in your inventory that you are supposed to deliver to Boogy but instead you go in the basement.
When you get near the first bed (and with that I assume close to Boogy disregarding the z-axis distance), Banjo suddenly pulls out the fish and throws it in the air.
You hear Boogy choking and spitting out a golden jiggy (like it would happen when you deliver it normally), however since you're not close to Boggy the following dialog isn't initiated and the game doesn't react to any input anymore (not even "Start"), forcing you pretty much to restore the game or restart the emulator.

If it helps anything I could upload a savestate where you are in front of Boggy's hut with the fish already in the inventory.

I tested with GLideN64 and used defaults.. Seemed to work for me. By beds do you mean couches? (some homes I guess might use a couch as a bed)

There were two separate conversations. One activated when I got close to the large couch, then the female polar bear spoke, and the other was activated when I got close to the armchair. It automatically threw the fish in his mouth, and then he spit out the puzzle piece. I was able to go pick it up after that.

What plugins are you using ?

EDIT:

Sorry I found out what you mean, by going down stairs.. You are correct that is not right.. Do we know this doesn't happen on the real N64?

Maybe one of the other members knows..

Last edited by theboy181; 22nd April 2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 22nd April 2015, 01:02 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'm wondering if this happens on other emulators? Do you have time to test? if it only happens in PJ you can submit an issue over on GitHub.

I never really played this game so I'm not familiar with the area or items involved.
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:32 PM

A quick test on mupen64plus reveals the same result. However I don't know how similar it is internally to Project64 (or it could also be caused by a plugin that I used in both emulators).

I guess the only safe way to determine this is to check if it happens on real hardware as well (which would mean its a game bug).
Unfortunately I can't really check, my N64 died ages ago (not to mention that it would take quite some time to get to the point in game again).

I found this post (www*neoseeker*com/forums/863/t2064168-banjo-tooie-bug) but its not really clear if the author used an emulator as well or real hardware.

Though if its really a game bug then I'm surprised that its not mentioned anywhere since its not an event that is unlikely to occur in the game (as opposed to some other ridiculous stuff (banjokazooie*wikia*com/wiki/Glitches)).
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:53 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If I had a compatible everdrive save state I could test on the real hardware. You care to research how to convert save states to everdrive saves I will test. But I don't have time to play the game to this point.