Old 13th December 2009, 03:33 AM

Exclamation Favorite Controller?

Hey guys, I have a hard time playing with my keyboard and wanted to get some sort of USB game controller or maybe even a gamecube controller adapter.
----------------------------------
I like the gamecube style so I went searching around. I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826127209

It's wireless, definitely a plus. Looks comfortable and has great ratings.

As a con I don't know that two can be plugged into one computer to act as different users. It also lacks a joystick in the regular position.

I also found the xbox USB:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ga...s.aspx?pid=090

Another wireless controller with a usb slot. I don't know its compatibility though.

PLEASE post your favorite and any experience you have had with your controller. Any recommendations are also appreciated. Money is not an issue
Old 13th December 2009, 04:08 PM

Personally I use the xbox 360 wired controller. Nice ergonomics and I'm familiar with it.

If you go with the xbox controller be warned you will have issues with project 64 and Microsoft's default driver (this is MS's fault), use the XBCD ones instead. Which brings me to my second point I'm fairly certain the xbox wireless controllers don't work with XBCD so if choose that one you will have no force feed back and dodgy triggers (because of MS's driver).

That Logitech one you have linked to doesn't look that bad, and might be less hassle; not to mention cheaper. Personally I don't like the position of the joysticks like on that but you may.
Old 13th December 2009, 04:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

QUite honestly any dual analogue USD controller will do, I always go for $25 controllers becauase all controller are susceptible to breaking.

The reason I prefer dual analogue for Project64 is because you can map the buttons similar to the arrangement of the Gamecube controller.

I currently use a philips (controller, was cheap ) but I've used all sorts of brands, honestly price doesn't really determine anything except how much money you are being ripped off by.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:32 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I use 360 wireless with Microsoft drivers and it works great. I don't recall having any problems with the triggers. However, you're right, I don't have rumble support, but then again somebody told me it was because pj64's input plugin had issues with the wireless 360 controller, not because of MS drivers. Maybe I've been told wrong?

Anyways, I definitely recommend the 360 controllers. However, I hate playstation controllers. So, if you like ps style controllers then by all means use those. It's really what feels comfortable to you!
Old 15th December 2009, 12:39 AM

I think I want the rumble feature so I was just going to go with the one from newegg but I think that I want an analog stick for main controls rather then the d pad :|
Old 6th January 2010, 12:27 PM

I have always like the controller converter for a PS2 controller
Old 17th January 2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I use 360 wireless with Microsoft drivers and it works great. I don't recall having any problems with the triggers. However, you're right, I don't have rumble support, but then again somebody told me it was because pj64's input plugin had issues with the wireless 360 controller, not because of MS drivers. Maybe I've been told wrong?

Anyways, I definitely recommend the 360 controllers. However, I hate playstation controllers. So, if you like ps style controllers then by all means use those. It's really what feels comfortable to you!
Did you have to use a wireless reciever to connect your controllers?
Old 17th January 2010, 02:54 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post

you were told wrong.
Microsofts driver fails to implement directinput rumble.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1