Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 6th May 2015, 09:53 AM

Default loading savestate crashes emu; PJ64 2.2 + GlideN64

When I use the latest version of PJ64 (v2.2), with the newly released GlideN64 plugin, savestates crash (error: unknown memory action) when I load them.

Saving a state works fine; but when I try to load it the emulator (almost) always crashes. No matter the game (Concker, Banjo-Tooie, MK 4).

Anyone else has this problem?

Last edited by bankaiprimera; 6th May 2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 6th May 2015, 10:12 PM

Also, when using the exact same settings with PJ64 2.1, savestates work just fine..! So it's a PJ64 2.2 issue..?
Old 6th May 2015, 10:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankaiprimera View Post
When I use the latest version of PJ64 (v2.2), with the newly released GlideN64 plugin, savestates crash (error: unknown memory action) when I load them.

Saving a state works fine; but when I try to load it the emulator (almost) always crashes. No matter the game (Concker, Banjo-Tooie, MK 4).

Anyone else has this problem?
What audio plugin?
Old 7th May 2015, 04:57 AM

Azimer XA2 audio 0.70 WIP 4
Old 7th May 2015, 06:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Azimer XA2 audio 0.70 WIP 4
Thought so. The plugin has an issue with loading save states.

A ghetto work around is to reset the game once, doesn't matter whether soft or hard reset. You have to do this at least once after you boot a game.
Old 7th May 2015, 08:11 AM

Really..? That's a odd issue. Especially since PJ64 2.1 doesn't have the issue.

I've got 2 questions for you, since you really seem to know your stuff

1. any real benefits from using PJ64 2.2 compared to PJ64 2.1? Or is it just the gamespecific ini-settings, such as sync game to audio? Any games which actually work better with 2.2?

2. can you recommend a different audio plugin? Azimer's is really good in almost all games I play (no crackling and really consistent in quality), but I have little experience with any other audio plugins.

I have a fairly powerful Pc (so LLE audio shouldn't be a problem):
- i5 3570k @4.2ghz
- Asus GTX 780ti
- 8gig RAM
Old 7th May 2015, 09:39 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Really..? That's a odd issue. Especially since PJ64 2.1 doesn't have the issue.
It's just a "coincidence" . WIP2 worked for save states, but has a threading issue, unfortunately.
Quote:
I've got 2 questions for you, since you really seem to know your stuff

1. any real benefits from using PJ64 2.2 compared to PJ64 2.1? Or is it just the gamespecific ini-settings, such as sync game to audio? Any games which actually work better with 2.2?
Off the top of my head, a few game fixes, lots of RDB changes, improved RSP, on the fly plugin swapping, restored some debugging funtionality, and updated language files.

As for games that improved. Ai Shougi, any game with interlaced video, Conker, Killer Instinct, WDC, Stunt Racer.

Unfortunately, certain things didn't make it into 2.2's release, and there were a few regressions (such as corrupt cfg). If you get the latest build (either by compiling or from someone else), you can reap the benefits of bug fixes / further improvements. Dunno when 2.3 comes out though.
Quote:
2. can you recommend a different audio plugin? Azimer's is really good in almost all games I play (no crackling and really consistent in quality), but I have little experience with any other audio plugins.
I'd need to know what game(s) you're trying to play. There's no universally super good audio plugin.
Old 7th May 2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
It's just a "coincidence" . WIP2 worked for save states, but has a threading issue, unfortunately.
Off the top of my head, a few game fixes, lots of RDB changes, improved RSP, on the fly plugin swapping, restored some debugging funtionality, and updated language files.

As for games that improved. Ai Shougi, any game with interlaced video, Conker, Killer Instinct, WDC, Stunt Racer.

Unfortunately, certain things didn't make it into 2.2's release, and there were a few regressions (such as corrupt cfg). If you get the latest build (either by compiling or from someone else), you can reap the benefits of bug fixes / further improvements. Dunno when 2.3 comes out though.
I'd need to know what game(s) you're trying to play. There's no universally super good audio plugin.
Okay thanks a lot for the info!

I play a lot of Conker and I like Killer Instinct Gold.. so I guess I need V2.2.

But the latest build..? The PJ64 2.2 from this official website isn't the latest?

And which audio plugin can you recommend in general? Good choices for Mario 64, Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, MK 4, Zelda's, Diddy Kong Racing ans Yoshi's Story for example?

PS: the reset works! After soft resetting a game once, the savestate s load just fine. It's a bit lame to have to do this, but at least there's way..!

Last edited by bankaiprimera; 7th May 2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 7th May 2015, 10:42 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Okay thanks a lot for the info!
Yw .
Quote:
I play a lot of Conker and I like Killer Instinct Gold.. so I guess I need V2.2.

But the latest build..? The PJ64 2.2 from this official website isn't the latest?
2.2 is the latest official build. But more work to the code has been done. Some good updates actually. So if you do not wish to compile latest source, you can obtain it from someone else.
Quote:
And which audio plugin can you recommend in general? Good choices for Mario 64, Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, MK 4, Zelda's, Diddy Kong Racing ans Yoshi's Story for example?
Well, that's tough. Idk of a plugin for Zelda OOT that doesn't have crackling. Best thing I've seen so far was by compiling latest source, using Fixed Audio timing and setting the AI count to 0 (setting to 0 does not work in official 2.2 or below) and using Azimer's XA2 WIP 4. I don't really play Conker or Banjo. I think Azimer's 0.60 WIP 2 works good for Yoshi's Story, Mario 64, and Diddy Kong Racing. There may be other plugins that are equally as good or possibly even better, but it's really time consuming to test every game, + there are some issues with Azimer's 0.70 that need to be worked out.

I hardly played MK4 on emulator, but I used to play that game back in the day . Looks like none of the plugins I like, work well in MK4, so that's another game you can used Fixed Audio Timing + AI count = 0. Again as a reminder, AI count=0 does not work on official 2.2 or below.

I myself am a nitpicker, so I don't like to use Fixed Audio Timing very often. I only use that for specific games (one's that are unstable without it, like Revolt, S.C.A.R.S., etc), debugging, or netplay. Otherwise I see no reason to use it. I'd rather get the best audio possible .

Aww man, just tried S.C.A.R.S and it's not too good with Fixed Audio, so scratch that ;/ .
Quote:
PS: the reset works! After soft resetting a game once, the savestate s load just fine. It's a bit lame to have to do this, but at least there's way..!
Agreed .
Old 8th May 2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Yw .
2.2 is the latest official build. But more work to the code has been done. Some good updates actually. So if you do not wish to compile latest source, you can obtain it from someone else.
Well, that's tough. Idk of a plugin for Zelda OOT that doesn't have crackling. Best thing I've seen so far was by compiling latest source, using Fixed Audio timing and setting the AI count to 0 (setting to 0 does not work in official 2.2 or below) and using Azimer's XA2 WIP 4. I don't really play Conker or Banjo. I think Azimer's 0.60 WIP 2 works good for Yoshi's Story, Mario 64, and Diddy Kong Racing. There may be other plugins that are equally as good or possibly even better, but it's really time consuming to test every game, + there are some issues with Azimer's 0.70 that need to be worked out.

I hardly played MK4 on emulator, but I used to play that game back in the day . Looks like none of the plugins I like, work well in MK4, so that's another game you can used Fixed Audio Timing + AI count = 0. Again as a reminder, AI count=0 does not work on official 2.2 or below.

I myself am a nitpicker, so I don't like to use Fixed Audio Timing very often. I only use that for specific games (one's that are unstable without it, like Revolt, S.C.A.R.S., etc), debugging, or netplay. Otherwise I see no reason to use it. I'd rather get the best audio possible .

Aww man, just tried S.C.A.R.S and it's not too good with Fixed Audio, so scratch that ;/ .
Agreed .
So there really are problem with Azimers XA 0.70 when compared to the 0.60 version? That's too bad, I thought the latest version would be best.

I mostly use counter factor 1 with disabled fixed audio timing and disabled sync to game audio. Also, 32 bits engine is disabled with a lot of games (like Diddy Kong, Zelda OOT and Conker) - but I don't remember whether that's a default setting with these games or that I changed it along the way.

MK 4 seems to works fine with enabled sync using audio, disabled fixed timing, counter factor 1 and Azimers 0.60 WIP 2.