Old 14th November 2016, 09:48 PM

Default Audio crackling

Hi,

I tried several suggested audio plugins, but Clayfighter 63 has constant audio cracks. How do I prevent that in PJ64 2.3?

Best wishes!
Old 16th November 2016, 07:29 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

A while ago, I made a branch that improved azimer's DS8 plugin. Here's a compiled build I made months ago. Try this plugin out (be sure to disable fixed audio timing when using this plugin).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mngc7z2t4...P%206.dll?dl=0

Let me know if this fixes your issue.
Old 16th November 2016, 04:54 PM

thanks for your reply. it works better now using your .dll and these settings here:

but strangely it works just fine on 1964 emulator with these settings:

how come?
Old 16th November 2016, 05:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

You're welcome . Glad I was able to help. Thanks for the feedback, i honestly don't often test the european version of games.

I guess that means Azimer's 0.56 also works fine for Clay Fighter. The audio quality is primarily determined by the audio plugin, although fixed audio timing can play a role if that's enabled. It's too bad Azimer's audio generally doesn't work well on 1964, so I recommend using Project64 for any games that you wish to use Azimer's audio plugin for.
Old 16th November 2016, 06:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I use Jabo audio for everything since 2.3. Azimer's go out of time, doesn't keep sync. All versions of Azimer's plugin has the same problem of having random audio/video sync problems, or losing sync over time. Pause/Resume with Azimer audio will highlight the problem. Each time you resume from pause, the delay between audio and video will be different.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:12 PM

but even jabo cracks audio in 2.3.
so I use 1964 and azimer for the critical games. I guess an emulator is not only a shell for the plugins, right? otherwise I have no explanation why 1964 delivers almost perfect audio using azimer and pj64 doesn't.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:53 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

For games that crackle with Jabo, I either check Sync using audio and Fixed audio timing, or enable sync using audio in Jabo and disable frame limiter.
Old 17th November 2016, 05:03 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddel81 View Post
otherwise I have no explanation why 1964 delivers almost perfect audio using azimer and pj64 doesn't.
Probably because PJ64 has fixed audio timing enabled by default (which is a bad idea imho). People claim they hear no crackling with Fixed Audio timing, but I'm not convinced. I tested on my skylake and still heard the same crackling.

You'll have to manually disable it for each game (assuming it's better to have it off for that game). In my experience, having it off is beneficial for the vast majority of games I've tested.
Old 19th November 2016, 02:05 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
For games that crackle with Jabo, I either check Sync using audio and Fixed audio timing, or enable sync using audio in Jabo and disable frame limiter.
What about games that dip to 50 VI/s when you turn on audio sync? IIRC, Ridge Racer and Clay Fighter dip in speed by 20% or so. Never had that issue with Azimer's plugins. And games that use MusyX? Completely garbled.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 19th November 2016, 04:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Clay Fighter and Ridge Racer are both perfect with Jabo here. Default settings. No crackling at all. Unless I use Glide or GLideN64 for Ridge Racer, then I get crackling because the video is too slow.

Top Gear Rally has never been right on any audio plugin, but Jabo is almost ok, the engine noise is ok, but the music is stuttery. World Driver Championship has problems, but TWINE is fine here with Jabo. Resident Evil 2 with Sync using audio checked in PJ64 fixes the crackling. Rogue Squadron is similar with Jabo/Azimer. Crackling or stuttering is caused by slow gfx in this case.

Only change from default settings is with Resident Evil 2, checked Sync using audio in PJ64, not Jabo.