Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 26th November 2013, 03:02 PM

Default Better integration of 1964 UltraFast overclock in Project64

Hi, I'm new to Project64 and so first of all I want to say thank you for the great work, it's a really good emulator.

I have to admit though that 1964 Ultrafast is still better when it comes to framerate and I think that it was the biggest problem with the N64 games.

Now that Ultrafast V3 is open source and that someone listed the difference between the two emulators (at least when it comes to GE and PD) at the reply 221 in the post "1964 UltraFast" of the forum of "Retrocopy" (sorry i'm not allowed to add external links due to the fact I'm new here), I think it would be the best improvement you can make to your project.

Cheers,
Nocta
Old 27th December 2013, 08:13 PM

I can only support that request since framerate is the only issue in N64 emulation that is still left. 1964 ultrafast was great, but,struggled big time when it came to plugin compatibility. So there was no plugin for goldeneye to play it it multiplayer. Always had major graphic bugs in all the plugins. Unplayable therefore in multiplayer.

PJ64 has the great compatibility tha 1964 ultrafast lacked, but the overclocking option would make me (and many others) want to pay money for PJ64 again.
If nearly 60fps would be possible with original game speed, that wpuld make pj64 the one and only emulator. Please copy that feature from 1964 ultrafast.
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:09 PM

Although i agree i don't think it will be done, Just because to my knowledge there is only 3 or 4 games that even have a use for this.

OoT and MM for example just run at twice the speed instead of becoming smoother like Golden Eye..

Now if someone with much more knowledge of n64 assembly wanted to find codes that can increase the framerate (like some games on PS2 or PSP) then i'd be first in line to help donate to get this feature implemented haha.

Who knows though, maybe there is just no interest as there is no way of implementing these cheats.
Old 3rd January 2014, 08:23 PM

I understand your point hellbringer but even though there is only 4 games profiting from it for the moment, it's 4 major games and the increase is huge in term of gameplay.
And then if Project64 implement the overclock (who is open source), due to the fact that it's the most used N64 emulator, the chances for improvements/hacks for other games will become bigger.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocta View Post
I understand your point hellbringer but even though there is only 4 games profiting from it for the moment, it's 4 major games and the increase is huge in term of gameplay.
And then if Project64 implement the overclock (who is open source), due to the fact that it's the most used N64 emulator, the chances for improvements/hacks for other games will become bigger.
It's possible, I know that in the PCSX2 scene zero interest has been picked up due to a lack of OC features while on PPSSPP there are i think just as many or a few more (i can think of 4 off the top of my head) that have 60FPS patches..

Our only hope is that a dev sees this post i suppose. BatCat seems to be the guy to talk too at the moment, I love reading his posts on the code he's writing, very informative
Old 21st January 2014, 04:50 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

There's a lot more than just 3 or 4 games that benefit from N64 overclocking. I made a list awhile back of the ones I know about but I don't think I ever posted it anywhere. Not all these games see benefit in the same way, some aren't even stable, but they are all affected by overclocking in some manner. Some games get an FPS boost (Goldeneye, Rayman 2, Perfect Dark), others don't get an FPS boost due to it being locked but overclocking can prevent FPS drops below the locked value (Extreme-G, Quake II, Turok 2).

A Bug's Life
Aidyn Chronicles - The First Mage
Armorines - Project S.W.A.R.M.
Big Mountain 2000
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Destruction Derby 64
Disney's Donald Duck - Goin Quackers / Donald Duck - Quack Attack
Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck / Looney Toons - Duck Dodgers
Earthworm Jim 3D
Extreme-G
Extreme-G XG2
F1 Racing Championship
F-1 Pole Position 64
Gex 3 - Deep Cover Gecko
Goldeneye 007
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
Human Grand Prix - New Generation
Jet Force Gemini / Star Twins
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000
Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside
Madden Football 64
Madden NFL 99-2002
Milo's Astro Lanes
Monaco Grand Prix - Racing Simulation 2
Monster Truck Madness 64
NASCAR 99/2000
NBA In the Zone 98 / NBA Pro 98
Off Road Challenge
Perfect Dark
Quake II
Racing Simulation 2
Rakuga Kids
Rayman 2 - The Great Escape
Roadsters Trophy
South Park Rally
StarCraft 64
Starshot - Space Circus Fever
Super Robot Spirits
Taz Express
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Tonic Trouble
Toy Story 2
Transformers - Beast Wars Transmetal
Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil / Violence Killer - Turok New Generation
V-Rally Edition 99
WCW vs. nWo - World Tour
World Cup 98

This is probably not a complete list but they are the ones that I know about. And who knows, with a stable implementation even more games may see benefit that currently do not.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:54 PM

I had no idea the list was so large, Shame we can't find away to remove the frame cap as we have done with the Kingdom Hearts series on the PS2. that would be wondrous.
Old 28th January 2014, 06:55 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

I think it's best to just hack roms to remove the frame cap. I'd appreciate any links to clues on how it's done.
Old 10th March 2014, 07:41 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Don't hold your breath. We've been asking for this for many years, but the dev aren't interested. The responses range from "I have another mysterious implementation planned that I think will be better" to "project 64 already has this feature u r so dumb for not knowing how to use it right".

The reality is that these guys are busy with other projects and this feature has never been a priority for them, so it's not going to happen.

Last edited by SubCog; 11th June 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 14th July 2014, 11:10 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddel81 View Post
I can only support that request since framerate is the only issue in N64 emulation that is still left.
Lol what?? There are many flaws still remaining ;/ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddel81 View Post
1964 ultrafast was great, but,struggled big time when it came to plugin compatibility. So there was no plugin for goldeneye to play it it multiplayer. Always had major graphic bugs in all the plugins. Unplayable therefore in multiplayer.

PJ64 has the great compatibility tha 1964 ultrafast lacked, but the overclocking option would make me (and many others) want to pay money for PJ64 again.
What plugins don't work in ultrafast? Honestly, 1964 has the best kaillera implementation out of the 3. So I would definitely choose that over PJ64 for online play. Ultrafast might need minor source code tweaking, but it's good imo.

If you use AQZ netplay, use Mupen64.