Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 23rd July 2010, 02:09 PM

Default Xbox 360 controller for N64 emulator

What is a good control scheme using an Xbox 360 controller to play Nintendo 64 games? Like a scheme that would work for just about any game, because it would sort of be like a port from a N64 controller to an Xbox 360 controller.
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:21 PM
Project Supporter

I tend to create a new scheme for pretty much every game I play.

Though generally the best scheme for most titles is the C Buttons mapped to the Right Analog with A and B mapped to A and X, D-Pad on D-Pad, L and R as LB and RB, Z on LT, and Analog on Left Analog.

FPS titles like Goldeneye and South Park work best with the Analog maps switched and the ingame settings set for C-buttons to walk and strafe. (some titles only have inverted aim as well so you have to account for that in the plugin settings)

Fighters like Killer Instinct are best to come up with your own since the C-Buttons don't map well to the Right Analog and even some of the N64 buttons aren't used.
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specht View Post

Though generally the best scheme for most titles is the C Buttons mapped to the Right Analog with A and B mapped to A and X, D-Pad on D-Pad, L and R as LB and RB, Z on LT, and Analog on Left Analog.

FPS titles like Goldeneye and South Park work best with the Analog maps switched and the ingame settings set for C-buttons to walk and strafe. (some titles only have inverted aim as well so you have to account for that in the plugin settings)

Fighters like Killer Instinct are best to come up with your own since the C-Buttons don't map well to the Right Analog and even some of the N64 buttons aren't used.
Thanks, I'll try that out.
Old 24th July 2010, 09:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by specht View Post
Seconded. I wish there was a catch all controller scheme, but there isn't.
Also, I use the top left and right bumpers for the n64 "A" and "B" buttons, but most people wouldn't probably enjoy this config. I used to play halo 3 alot and I'm a bumper-jumper fanatic. It allows you to use more fingers.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:48 PM

Default For EVERY game?

Well...It depends how flexible you are, because I'm not sure how comfy it would be to play Super Smash Bros, then go on to play Goldeneye with the same Control Scheme.
Old 4th August 2010, 03:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah, I don't bother with FPS controls--mainly because I'm not specifically into FPS.

Am I the only one who beats all my friends in SSB using just my keyboard? Gaming controllers suck; last week I touched an N64 controller again to play my brother at SSB on the real hardware...it felt so weird playing with something other than my keyboard.
Old 4th August 2010, 04:53 AM

I've managed to get the xbox 360 controller to work with rumble! =) Will post it after I manage to post 5 more times!! Will see y'all soon.

=)
Old 6th February 2017, 04:29 PM

Default Best Mapped Controls on 360/MOGA for N64ROM Goldeneye

It took me ages to find a perfect controller scheme with the Xbox360 and Moga pro controller, I had set it up before but kept forgetting. So I made myself and you guys a video to remind me what way to map the keys perfectly for playing Goldeneye/Perfect Dark on a modern day controller!!!

Hope it helps and this is my configue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSfahjE6A2w

Last edited by omac techy; 6th February 2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: url
Old 9th September 2017, 03:43 PM

Default Inverted Contolls

Does anyone know how or can anyone explain to me how to set-up a controller to not be inverted. I messed with the modifiers, but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!
Old 9th September 2017, 07:29 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by power1jj View Post
Does anyone know how or can anyone explain to me how to set-up a controller to not be inverted. I messed with the modifiers, but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!
Some games have the option to invert the controls, but for the ones that don't you could try to remap the analog up to down, and vise versa. However it really depends on the game.. What game?

There could be cheat codes or ROM hacks if a person really looked.

Possibly start on this forum.

http://www.shootersforever.com/forum...f078dd4590b804

Last edited by theboy181; 9th September 2017 at 07:34 PM.