Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 4th December 2009, 12:53 AM

Default Question about hi res textures with widescreen

Hi all, new to the forums

Wow, P64 is amazing and has totally breathed new life into my old games. I just recently installed this a few days ago and am loving it!

I have run into a little dilemma. When I first installed it I was using
jabo's direct3D8 1.6 plugin and had the full screen resolution setting set to 1600 x 900 which is the native resolution of my monitor. Everything was stretched. I then found the nifty option in advanced settings to "adjust game aspect ratio to match yours"

After that it looked perfect and used up the whole screen without messing up the ration and stretching everything.
So here I was, all happy playing in true widescreen when I did some youtube surfing and found all these videos of games being played with hi-res textures
I was shocked! Probably old news to everyone here but for me it was like they totally remade the game with wii graphics.

So I did some research and ended up DLing the rice video plugin and downloaded the textures for Zelda OOC & Mario 64 and loaded up the rom with the new high-res textures. This was great, but I realized that there was no option as with the jabo plugin to not mess up the aspect ratio when playing in widescreen.
I did some more surfing and researching and ended up DLing the glide64 napalm wx release 1 plugin. I set the full screen resolution to 1600 x 900 and tinkered with all the options as far as "aspect ratio" but they all stretched the image

The best config I got so far is keeping the resolution set to 1600 x 900 with the 4:3 aspect ratio selected. This uses the whole screen but puts the black vertical bars on the sides to keep it at 4:3
I prefer this method the most so far because even though true widescreen was awesome, the beefed up hi-res textures are way more enticing to me. So that's how I've been playing

I'm wondering if theres a way to get the best of both worlds. The high res textures with the non-stretched widescreen. I have surfed & researched but haven't found a solution.
Is this possible? Is there a plugin or setting that will allow me to acheive pure orgasmic wide-screen hi-res textures?

Thanks for reading.

I don't know if any of this helps but I am running windows 7 64bit Geforce 9100

Thanks again,

DC
Old 4th December 2009, 10:05 AM

i just play with the stock textures sounds like you will ahve to pick hi res or aspect ration one over the other.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:09 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

ugh... rice video sucks.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 24th February 2010, 10:54 AM

bump

I have this exact same problem! Any help at all would be more than appreciated.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:20 AM

Well I'm bumping this one.

As previously noted, this still seems to be a standing issue and a major one at that. One one hand I'd love to keep using high quality textures which are only supported by Rice Video (Now 1964Video apparently) and Glide64. On the other, the Jabo 3D plugin allows for amazing widescreen performance, as you can see in this video: hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNgyPbga3g

So I'm also wondering if it's possible to have the best of both worlds, namely to implement support for Rice Video textures in Jabo 3D (or alternatively implementing proper aspect correction in either Rice or Glide64 I guess).

On a side note, I've read somewhere that upgraded members who have donated have access to texture packs that work natively with Project64. Can anyone confirm this is true? If so, I'd be more than willing to donate to the project. Also, in that case, does it use a different format or are Rice Video textures supported?

Anyway, that's my two cents.

It would be great if you could have games both looking fresh new and with amazing EyeFinity widescreen supported out of the box in Project64. Hope to hear from you guys, and great job on the emulator!
Old 16th June 2010, 11:54 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

thats a hack, and nothing more.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1