Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 17th December 2012, 08:25 PM

@ rimsky82
I have a job already, but sadly (because of my Aunt & Uncle) I have no TV to use it anymore (They won't allow me to have my TV, stupid hippies).
Old 17th December 2012, 08:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by et500 View Post
LLE Emulation, mobile devices and html5/javascript will bring new life to N64 emulation soon and will hopefully attract new talents. Unfortunately the classic Windows PC based emulation might not be a part of that future.
Haha, no way in Hell would I make an emulator on Windows, easily available for idiots to use.

I'd rather just build it as Linux-only and maintain open-source assembly code to keep all the Microfags out

If it had been ANYTHING other than video game emulation I wouldn't mind openly sharing a Windows emulator I did or w/e. I just can't stand Microfags. y'know
Old 17th December 2012, 09:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneLight View Post
Let's face it. The developers have their own lives now, and they are busy. They have kept on milking the beta for more than 5 years. With the donation page down, and virtually no development on the emulator, Project 64 will become a dead end. I, cannot let this happen, I cannot allow Nintendo 64 emulation die. Project 64 has come too far for development to die off. It must survive! We need you developers to just release the damn source already! If Nintendo 64 emulation is to survive, then we need a new team to work on it, one that is dedicated to the emulator. I am 15 and I grew up and cherished my Nintendo 64. It is gone now, like most of the N64 systems. The developers have kids now and rarely even turn on their computer. I, one day would love to show my kids the wonder of the Nintendo 64 and relive all of my fond memories of it. Please make Project 64 open source. It is the last breath of Nintendo 64 Emulation.
1964 is Open Source
Mupen64 is Open Source
Mupen64Plus is Open Source

Rice Video is Open Source, as is its continuation, 1964 Video
Glide64 is Open Source and probably one the best if not the best video plugins available
Azimer's Audio plugin is (I believe) Open Source

If you check over at Emutalk, Hackturux and MarathonMan are both working on their own LLE emulators, and zilmar has even popped up a couple of times recently and insinuated that he is still working on PJ64.

Not to mention Pokefan's NICE/ICE64 forks off the 1964 1.1 Source.

So with all that activity, I think it's unreasonable to declare N64 emulation on the point of dying....
Old 17th December 2012, 09:52 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Plus... I don't see why your argument of "Project64 needs to be open-source", has to be in conjunction with the 1.7 version source code, in particular, being maintained by new developers.

Granted, zilmar doesn't work on it at the pace that everyone wants. The last thing I care about is pleasing every single person when it comes to programming though. But when I'm being an ass then yeah I try to please everyone.

Notice a pattern with open-sourcing in some emulation scenes?
  • zilmar and Jabo open-source Project64 + RSP recompiler 1.4, nobody works on it except Surreal64 for Xbox, maybe some private workers who aren't publicly sharing their motivations
  • zilmar gives 1.6 source to hcs, ends up getting leaked to mudlord and everyone else, still hardly anyone working on it except death-droid who zilmar met up with and SDFSDFDFSDBREAKPOUNT FOUND AT INTERPRETER OPS, some guy complaining that Jabo needs to open-source his plugins, mudlord shouldn't close his pj64 fork, etc., while doing none of the open-source work himself,
  • and now, someone else got a chance to work on Project64 1.7 besides zilmar, but in the interest of maintaining real-life situations as well as older projects, probably isn't entertained enough to take advantage of that either
  • then some guy creates this thread, says he's learning programming but can't code emu yet, so everybody-uh else-a open-a-source-uh !!

I mean, traditionally I respect open-source development, being a mathematically invested engineer and all that, but for this PLAY-POKEMON-ON-MY-WII or n64 on Windows shit, bah. I suggest you have fun continuing to learn programming. Who knows what you will come up with. It's pretty fun when you're leading the action, right?
Old 21st December 2012, 06:18 AM

While I agree with OP's sentiments, I also agree that there are other open source emulators and they are very much alive, and actively worked on. Both Mupen64 and 1964 play paper mario better than PJ1.6 but PJ1.7 plays it better.

I was once a supporter of PJ64 but it seems zilmer moved on with life. I really think I am going to work on some FOSS emulators and prove PJ64 to be a wash. As much as I love PJ64, it seems he doesn't love me back, and he doesn't love us enough back with as much money I have donated (without an account mind) to open the source. I have in the little comments section where when you donate, said "hey man open the source" with little reply but "no I have no wish to do that, project 64 1.7 will be available shortly" that was 2 years ago. It is pretty much either dead or getting there.

The Open Source emulation scene is alive and well, and getting to the point it is going to make this look like a smoke screen.
Old 21st December 2012, 08:17 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endafy View Post
While I agree with OP's sentiments, I also agree that there are other open source emulators and they are very much alive, and actively worked on. Both Mupen64 and 1964 play paper mario better than PJ1.6 but PJ1.7 plays it better.

I was once a supporter of PJ64 but it seems zilmer moved on with life. I really think I am going to work on some FOSS emulators and prove PJ64 to be a wash. As much as I love PJ64, it seems he doesn't love me back, and he doesn't love us enough back with as much money I have donated (without an account mind) to open the source. I have in the little comments section where when you donate, said "hey man open the source" with little reply but "no I have no wish to do that, project 64 1.7 will be available shortly" that was 2 years ago. It is pretty much either dead or getting there.

The Open Source emulation scene is alive and well, and getting to the point it is going to make this look like a smoke screen.

considering the problems with Paper Mario were in the GFX plugins, which have since been updated to 1.6.1 and will never be again (nor ever have its source released)

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 21st December 2012, 09:05 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolXD View Post
mudlord shouldn't close his pj64 fork, etc
I had my reasons, I realize what I did now is a massive mistake. The source should never have been procured.
And I do things now that make me happy as a programmer. All that emulation did was cause arguments and hell.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:45 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quite possibly, considering most of "emulation" is in reference to, systems we are not the vendors of. External vendors, whom we usually have no working contact with, or even repel the interest invested in virtualizing those systems.

So an emulation scene of our own hardware systems would be a lot more fun and possibly even a lot more successful in the open-source world? But, it is also then again a very fun challenge to extract all the bits and pieces of hidden information of systems we know less about. That experience is of value, too.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:53 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yes, things dont really have to be open source at all.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cold E.T. View Post
Haha, no way in Hell would I make an emulator on Windows, easily available for idiots to use.

I'd rather just build it as Linux-only and maintain open-source assembly code to keep all the Microfags out

If it had been ANYTHING other than video game emulation I wouldn't mind openly sharing a Windows emulator I did or w/e. I just can't stand Microfags. y'know
You don't think there are idiots in the Linux community? lol