Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 16th December 2012, 05:45 AM

Unhappy We can't let Project 64 die! Make it Open-Source!

Let's face it. The developers have their own lives now, and they are busy. They have kept on milking the beta for more than 5 years. With the donation page down, and virtually no development on the emulator, Project 64 will become a dead end. I, cannot let this happen, I cannot allow Nintendo 64 emulation die. Project 64 has come too far for development to die off. It must survive! We need you developers to just release the damn source already! If Nintendo 64 emulation is to survive, then we need a new team to work on it, one that is dedicated to the emulator. I am 15 and I grew up and cherished my Nintendo 64. It is gone now, like most of the N64 systems. The developers have kids now and rarely even turn on their computer. I, one day would love to show my kids the wonder of the Nintendo 64 and relive all of my fond memories of it. Please make Project 64 open source. It is the last breath of Nintendo 64 Emulation.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I am 15
Exactly, now go away and stop butting in to adult business.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 16th December 2012, 01:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Wait, they had n64's then? XD

Anywho pj64 1.6 is open source I guess you could say XD
Old 16th December 2012, 04:00 PM
Project Supporter

Project64 1.6 source can be found on google code but it currently lacks active developers. Also the Jabo plugins are not part of the project.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah, only the core was released
Old 16th December 2012, 10:09 PM

Whatever. What I meant was that they have to let a new team work on Project 64 1.7. I am sick of waiting year after year for a new release. I would definitely help to code (sigh, if I knew how to) but I can't. The best situation would be to have a team like the ones working on the Dolphin emulator who constantly release a new revision. There are probably a ton of coders who would love to help with Project 64. I am currently learning how to code myself. I just do not want N64 emulation to die off.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:00 AM
Project Supporter

The problem is to find highly talented programmers who are also good team players and interested in N64 emulation. Most good programmers aren't. The better their programming skills, the less likely they will be happy working in a team where they cannot make important decisions alone. There also is a huge amount of communication and coordination required and it would need a community to constantly provide support and test / update configuration files.

Project64 1.7 could be by far the best emulator out there, as it has many advanced features but it massively lacks the stability that 1.6 had.

LLE Emulation, mobile devices and html5/javascript will bring new life to N64 emulation soon and will hopefully attract new talents. Unfortunately the classic Windows PC based emulation might not be a part of that future.

But currently nobody seems to be actively working on 1964, Project64, Glide64, Rice & Jabo Plugins...
Old 17th December 2012, 04:40 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

lol jsn64, no thanks.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 17th December 2012, 06:00 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKEL4cUTOI4
Old 17th December 2012, 06:41 PM
Project Supporter

N64 consoles aren't gone. I have one. They can still be bought, and still work nicely, but wait, that costs money... not to worry, you can start working in a year, kiddo.

I, like countless others, would love to see N64 emulation not die, not to mention get better. Unfortunately, there's still a big problem; the complete lack of documentation for the hardware contained in the N64. What a lot of programmers did to get around this problem since the dawn of N64 emulation, when you were still getting your diapers changed, is something called HLE, or High-Level Emulation. Basically, it's emulating real emulation. The worst part of HLE is the need for game-specific settings and programming.

PJ64 has done this extremely well, and there has been a lot of hard work put into it. For this reason, I say that the developers of PJ64 have every right to do with their source what they want, and I will be glad I can still play the games I don't yet own with the beta. But as for the life of N64 emulation, I want to see it done right, and for that we need to know everything we don't already know about the N64 hardware. There are developers after this info, and I believe it still may surface if it hasn't already.

Edit: LLE, Low-Level Emulation as mentioned by et500, is what I'm talking about.

Last edited by rimsky82; 17th December 2012 at 06:44 PM.