Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 27th August 2019, 10:19 AM

Question How do you configure the default settings for unknown ROM's?

I would like to know how to configure the emulator's (v2.3.2) default ROM settings to match the Ocarina of Time game-specific settings.

This would allow me to provide people with instructions on how to make the emulator compatible with the Ocarina of Time Randomizer project without telling people to make the changes every single time they wish to play a newly generated randomized ROM (each new ROM has a new CRC).

As is, the default settings that are used for unidentified ROM's seems to be the cause behind crashes that occur under various specific circumstances in the game such as draining the well at night time or entering the Kakariko Potion Shop for example.

The developers and community revolving around the Ocarina of Time Randomizer project advocate the use of either Bizhawk or RetroArch while dissuading people from using Pj64 because of these issues. I'd like to get PJ64 working well with the project so that people have more options and to reduce the hostility some people have been showing towards PJ64 lately.

Thanks,

Last edited by Franpa; 27th August 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 28th August 2019, 03:18 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Sorry, don't have time for a full response, but you can check this:

https://github.com/project64/project.../Project64.rdb
Old 28th August 2019, 04:26 PM

I know that file is plain text, I don't know what to change in it though (and previously didn't know if the changes I wanted to make involved that specific file).
Old 29th August 2019, 12:44 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You'll need to find the ID of the randomizer then make an entry for it (basically copy paste from normal OoT, but change the ID).
Old 29th August 2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDude2 View Post
You'll need to find the ID of the randomizer then make an entry for it (basically copy paste from normal OoT, but change the ID).
The problem with that is that the ID is a CRC and each time you generate a new game using the Randomizer program you're left with a ROM with a new CRC. So I could add an ID for the first ROM I generate, but each successively generated ROM (generated using a different Seed # or settings) will not match that newly added ID. See the attached image for example.

So what I want to do is change the configuration that PJ64 uses for ROM's that have no entry in the database (or a way for the emulator to pre-apply a settings configuration that doesn't rely on CRC checksums to determine which configuration to apply)
Attached Images
File Type: png CRC.png (15.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 24th September 2019, 05:54 AM

Another way of wording the request:

Stipulations:
  • I do not want to manually add new entries in to the ROM Database file for each and every single Unidentified ROM that I add to PJ64.
  • I do not want to manually Edit Game Settings for each and every single Unidentified ROM that I add to PJ64.

Notes:
  • Each Unidentified ROM being added to PJ64 has a different CRC Checksum.
  • Each Unidentified ROM being added to PJ64 works best with the same Game Settings.
  • The default Game Settings that Project64 automatically applies to Unidentified ROM's is not what any of my Unidentified ROM's require in order to work correctly.

Question:
How do I adjust the default configuration so that Project64 will automatically, without manual intervention, apply the desired configuration to newly added Unidentified ROM's? Is the default configuration hard coded in to the program?

Last edited by Franpa; 24th September 2019 at 06:01 AM.