Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 22nd April 2009, 01:21 AM

Default N64 Hardware documentation help.

Hello zilmar.

I have been looking around for some N64 resources, especially in regards to:

* The R4300i
* The RDP (on a low level, theres plenty of stuff for HLE)
* The RSP

I am just asking, which docs do you recommend in regards to those areas. I have been searching for detailed documents especially regarding the RDP, but not much has turned up Otherwise, I guess I will take things as they come. I understand though if Jabo or yourself does not want to help (I can see reasons why Jabo might want to hide his 'secret sauce' to LOZ MM's depth emulation for the Lens of Truth, etc, as well as secrets to his software rasterization code)

Feel free to PM the resources if they are of dubious nature or something.....

Last edited by mudlord/RED; 22nd April 2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:45 AM
Project Supporter

If I remember correctly, Zilmar figure most of the stuff using RE instead of docs, because he said there are barley any docs on the N64 system. In this case, Gamecube/Wii probably has a lot more unofficial docs than N64.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:15 AM

Figured as such, since I am not getting much luck in finding accurate information, and it is incredibly frustrating.

Might as well ask MooglyGuy, Angrylion, ZZT32 and co, since they are active in LLE based emulation.

I can easily find HLE stuff perfectly fine, but seriously, LLE is better.
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:18 AM
Project Supporter

Which is something I would like to get better in.
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:23 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

not sure how much I can help you .. jabo did all the gfx I really have no idea there, there was r4k info around as manuals. RSP was me reversing on the real machine.
Old 26th April 2009, 11:39 PM

Thanks anyway zil.

Thought as such that there isn't much. This pretty much confirms it.
No wonder there's a lack of n64 emu development: there's pretty much zilch documentation.

Anywayz, MG's been a help with navigating MAME/MESS sources. Lets see how that turns out....
Old 27th July 2009, 02:39 AM

Hi Zilmar,
Anarko docs (n64ops#d.txt) state that you may have used some SGI docs (opcode lists) to give names to RSP vector opcodes. That should explain why names you gave in 1998/99 coincide with the names used by licensed devs in 1) the famous article about Resident Evil video compression and in 2) Mark Deloura's article about curved surfaces on the N64 (vmudm, vge, vlt and so on). Could you please share these materials as they represent historical value? PM would be fine.
If I'm mistaken, it would be interesting to hear why opcode names do coincide.
Old 26th January 2011, 05:02 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Whoops, quite a bump.

^ What about the Project Unreality source? They used same mnemonics for the RSP opcodes. A couple of the main r4300i register mnemonics are wrong (one of them more perverse), so there must have been some unique way they got the info back then.
Old 26th January 2011, 05:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

That would be correct. Besides, my understanding is that sensitive information can be obtained either via leakage (with I doubt applies in this case), or by having the right person already familiar with the environment (by which I mean using what information can be obtained simply by breaking the data apart and trying to understand how it works using preexisting knowledge and understand of similar systems) to then justify in their (the code breaker implied) own terms.

If I am completely wrong, which I will admit that I'm just generally speaking here, so it could be the case; please disregard this post. >/

erm, does this mean you are planning on releasing those N64 definitions you've been brewing? (remember, educational information should ALWAYS be offered publicly, but I know you know that)

Last edited by Mdkcheatz; 26th January 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:21 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcheatz View Post
That would be correct. Besides, my understanding is that sensitive information can be obtained either via leakage (with I doubt applies in this case), or by having the right person already familiar with the environment (by which I mean using what information can be obtained simply by breaking the data apart and trying to understand how it works using preexisting knowledge and understand of similar systems) to then justify in their (the code breaker implied) own terms.

If I am completely wrong, which I will admit that I'm just generally speaking here, so it could be the case; please disregard this post. >/
I guess. It's not really on the spot, but you posting in this thread is better than a killed conversation (as long as you don't bring up squall or what he plugs into his butt at night or any of that crap, in which case there is a difference between the two). At the same time, I didn't commit necromancy on a thread I remember reading 2 years ago just to flood it by conversing with a psychic tater-tot about tripods.

So, if by information that's sensitive you're referring to not-so-known information that is, for its effective value, subject to being spread or leaked, then, um, it sounds like you have the basic idea, but if I were you I'd practice wording the explanation a bit more clearly to boost your own personal confidence on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcheatz View Post
erm, does this mean you are planning on releasing those N64 definitions you've been brewing? (remember, educational information should ALWAYS be offered publicly, but I know you know that)
Does what mean I am planning on releasing?

Technically it's already public, but I haven't linked anyone to it yet except via MSN or PM.

It's not really special information, either, just a corrective compilation in databases I'm still adding on to. I'm sure in its current state it's very public outside my writing it.