Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 11th November 2014, 08:53 AM

Question Random lag specifically in Majora's Mask

Everything was fine until I started fighting Twinmold, and I got insane fps lag. I don't have the numbers but it was pretty significant.

Now the frame rate is kind of skippy; as in it's fine for a few seconds then my fps drops. Also when I pause or enter a new area, the game takes longer to load. The VI/s is constantly 60 though.

Sorry, I have no clue what I am looking at, and googling could only do so much. Thanks!

My specs are:
AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-core Processor 3.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64 bit operating system
windows 7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p64settings.jpg (24.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 11th November 2014, 08:59 AM

Attachment made my image too small. I uploaded pj64 settings onto imgur.
Sorry, new member so I can't post links, add imgur domain in front

/85ZY18E.png
Old 11th November 2014, 10:25 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Try using Jabo 1.6.1 and set the Counter Factor to 1 for smoother fps.

The pause menu when using Jabo 1.6.1 will now open near instantly.
Old 11th November 2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks! Seems like most of my problems went away.

Is there a reason why Jabo 1.6 is better than 1.7? and what does the counter factor exactly do/mean?
Old 11th November 2014, 11:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoechu View Post
Thanks! Seems like most of my problems went away.

Is there a reason why Jabo 1.6 is better than 1.7? and what does the counter factor exactly do/mean?
Tbqh, it's really a false assumption. I actually get annoyed when people recommend Jabo 1.6.1 for games where it's actually inferior. Smash64 is one prime example. I have not tested many plugins for Zelda MM, so Jabo 1.6.1 might actually be good. Just don't assume it's always the best version of Jabo's Video, because that's not always the case.

Anyway, it all depends on the game, as to what plugin to use. Even your hardware may matter too. Like for me, Jabo's is bugged in Kirby, regardless of the version. So I have to use Rice or Glide for that game, unless I decide to use LLE .

Counter factor effects timing, it's an option you'll have to test for each game, if you want the best results. Counter Factor of 1 isn't always good, especially when it comes to audio.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:52 AM

Oh okay thanks, that was really informative.

Quick question since you seem to know your stuff.

For Smash 64, some of items are really small, such as many of the projectile items: bomb-ombs and bumpers and other items such as the tomato and heart.
They're not invisible, but they're really tiny in game.

Shields are invisible too, but they function correctly. Some of the backgrounds in certain stages are missing too.

I've tried multiple roms of the same game from different sources but they all seem to have the same problem. Would this be a rendering issue of pj64?

When I changed all the plugins to 1.6, it fixed all the problems again although you say 1.6.1 is inferior on this game specifically. Is there a reason why?

Thanks again!
Old 12th November 2014, 01:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh okay thanks, that was really informative.

Quick question since you seem to know your stuff.

For Smash 64, some of items are really small, such as many of the projectile items: bomb-ombs and bumpers and other items such as the tomato and heart.
They're not invisible, but they're really tiny in game.

Shields are invisible too, but they function correctly. Some of the backgrounds in certain stages are missing too.

I've tried multiple roms of the same game from different sources but they all seem to have the same problem. Would this be a rendering issue of pj64?

When I changed all the plugins to 1.6, it fixed all the problems again although you say 1.6.1 is inferior on this game specifically. Is there a reason why?

Thanks again!
Ohh haha, I've been too used to LLE! I take it you were using 1.7.0.57? Ya that one's no good for Smash Bros. 1.7.0.56 is the best Jabo version for that game. I think 1.6 > 1.6.1 for smashbros, although both have annoying flaws. 1.6.1 looks even worse with the hitbox code enabled, so I prefer 1.6 over 1.6.1.

What I hate about 1.6/ 1.6.1 is that when you modify the crc, OR play the J version, you will see these annoying lines... I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong . Not to mention, fog is lacking!
Old 12th November 2014, 01:34 AM

Hmm okay. Is there a website where I can download various versions of Jabo or LLE? Some light googling only ended up with half the results in spanish
Old 12th November 2014, 02:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hmm okay. Is there a website where I can download various versions of Jabo or LLE? Some light googling only ended up with half the results in spanish
I can't remember where I got Jabo 1.7.0.56. Probably came with some emulators I downloaded ;/ . Lol LLE is something else. HLE is preferable for Smash Brothers. So if you have a powerful PC, I'd actually prefer Glide64 Final for smash brothers. If you have a medium PC, then Jabo 1.7.0.56. If you're running a toaster, then Rice/1964 Video.
Old 12th November 2014, 06:12 AM

Okay thanks friends. Much appreciated

Tags
majora's mask