Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 25th April 2015, 02:43 PM

Default So, Dolphin is the better N64 emulator now?

Just tested a few N64 games on Dolphin and... they seem to look better than what i get on PJ64 with various plugins and settings. First time i see F-Zero X without graphic glitches at all, just like using a pixel accurate plugin but it's faster on Dolphin.

I wish there was a way to make more roms work with Dolphin, instead we get only the few VC releases
Old 25th April 2015, 03:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The Wads that are loaded contain an emulator built by Nintendo for the wii,
thus accurate emulation.
16GB DDR3 1600fsb
Win7 64bit
Old 25th April 2015, 04:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasoulis View Post
Just tested a few N64 games on Dolphin and... they seem to look better than what i get on PJ64 with various plugins and settings. First time i see F-Zero X without graphic glitches at all, just like using a pixel accurate plugin but it's faster on Dolphin.

I wish there was a way to make more roms work with Dolphin, instead we get only the few VC releases
Are any of these titles running at a competitive speed? I think Dolphin 64 emulation is too slow, but yes it does work pretty well considering its emulating on an emulator.
Old 25th April 2015, 04:27 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NES_player4LIFE View Post
The Wads that are loaded contain an emulator built by Nintendo for the wii,
thus accurate emulation.
Yes, and no about it being accurate. Some things are not emulated on Nintendo's emulators, such as alpha dithering (pixel dissolve effects in many games). Super Mario 64 for example, is merely transparent when Mario's invisible, however, the Wii U N64 emulator is more accurate, and actually emulates this effect in full.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 25th April 2015, 06:21 PM
Project Supporter

Dolphin isn't a N64 emulator you are comparing apples and oranges. Just because it happens to be able to run some games because a official wii n64 emulator (which has many documented cases of being inaccurate in certain games fyi) exists doesn't make it a N64 emulator, hence this comparison is dumb. And seem to look better could also be of some adjustments to the games on nintendo's side to make them usable with higher resolution and whatnot
Old 25th April 2015, 07:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
Dolphin isn't a N64 emulator you are comparing apples and oranges. Just because it happens to be able to run some games because a official wii n64 emulator (which has many documented cases of being inaccurate in certain games fyi) exists doesn't make it a N64 emulator, hence this comparison is dumb. And seem to look better could also be of some adjustments to the games on nintendo's side to make them usable with higher resolution and whatnot
Are you saying the ROMS may have been modified?
Old 25th April 2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
I know it's not a N64 emulator but if it emulates a bunch of N64 games better than "real" N64 emulators i might as well call it a N64 emulator.

When i say "seem to look better" i'm not talking about image quality. I'm talking about graphic glitches and bugs. I tested f-Zero X and the only way to have this quality on a real N64 emulator is by using a pixel accurate plugin which is slower than emulating the game on Dolphin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
Are any of these titles running at a competitive speed? I think Dolphin 64 emulation is too slow, but yes it does work pretty well considering its emulating on an emulator.
Like i said, it's faster than normal N64 emulators running a pixel accurate plugin. But certainly not as fast as using normal plugins.

Last edited by Tasoulis; 25th April 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 25th April 2015, 10:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Red face

Not only is Dolphin an inaccurate emulator, but so is VC .
Quote:
I know it's not a N64 emulator but if it emulates a bunch of N64 games better than "real" N64 emulators i might as well call it a N64 emulator.
But it doesn't ;/ .
Quote:
When i say "seem to look better" i'm not talking about image quality. I'm talking about graphic glitches and bugs. I tested f-Zero X and the only way to have this quality on a real N64 emulator is by using a pixel accurate plugin which is slower than emulating the game on Dolphin.
Please aware me of such issues in F-Zero.
Quote:
Like i said, it's faster than normal N64 emulators running a pixel accurate plugin. But certainly not as fast as using normal plugins.
I bet it relies on multithreading to even get remotely bearable speed. Even Super Smash Bros lagged in Dolphin VC ;/ .
Old 25th April 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Please aware me of such issues in F-Zero.
In the acceleration/top speed screen, your craft has a weird colorful aura around it.

During race, all crafts are missing some kind of glossy effect on their textures.

Some levels have draw in/missing fog issues. The second level from the first championship, for instance.

All these issues are fixed only if i use a pixel accurate plugin or if i play the game through Dolphin. Also, for some reason, when i play this game through Dolphin i only see a tiny amount of CPU usage with Task manager but i assume this isn't right since there are some frame rate drops here and there.

My CPU is a i5 4670 at stock speed.

Last edited by Tasoulis; 25th April 2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 26th April 2015, 12:19 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
In the acceleration/top speed screen, your craft has a weird colorful aura around it.

During race, all crafts are missing some kind of glossy effect on their textures.

Some levels have draw in/missing fog issues. The second level from the first championship, for instance.
Alright thanks, will check this out, sometime.
Quote:
All these issues are fixed only if i use a pixel accurate plugin or if i play the game through Dolphin. Also, for some reason, when i play this game through Dolphin i only see a tiny amount of CPU usage with Task manager but i assume this isn't right since there are some frame rate drops here and there.

My CPU is a i5 4670 at stock speed.
I guess my assumption about it using multithreading might be wrong, for Dolphin VC. Well since you have a quad core, the max you should see is somewhere around 25% in task manager. If you see something less than that, then low frame rate is caused by something that's limiting the fps.

Have you tried GlideN64? Maybe that plugin works good for F-Zero.