Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 12th May 2019, 02:07 AM

Question How do you map Save State and Load State to controller buttons?

Project64 v 2.3.2.202
Windows 7 Professional SP2
Xbox 360 For Windows USB Wired Controller

Everything is working great. I don't have any problems. But as it is right now, when I want to save or load a game state, I have to let go of the controller, reach over, find and then press F5/F7 on the keyboard. I would like to map L1 to Load State (what is by default F7) and map R1 to Save State (what is by default F5).

Settings \ Keyboard Shortcuts \ CPU State: Game Playing \ Menu Item: System Menu \ Load State

^ When I go there and click the Detect Key button it will not detect any button on my controller. It will only detect input from my keyboard. Also, in the dropdown list, every value starts with "VK_", making me think this will only ever work from keyboard input.

In the Controller Configuration window there also doesn't seem to be a way to map a controller button to Load/Save State, or to map a controller button to a keyboard key. I was thinking maybe I could make my controller's L1 button send F7 to the system somehow (and R1 send F5), but that doesn't seem possible either.

This seems like it would be something everyone who uses a controller would want to do but I can't find any topics about it online or in this forum.

Is there a solution to this?
Old 13th May 2019, 02:42 PM

I ended up getting an app called JoyToCon which let me bind F7/F5 to LB/RB. Not a great solution, but it does work. There should be a way to do this within Project64 itself, but it seems they keep the keyboard and controller completely separate, unless I'm missing something?
Old 14th May 2019, 12:47 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Don't know that it's possible with how plugins work.