Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 15th June 2010, 08:28 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilmar View Post
do you know why it is a police box ?
Because it's British. If it were in the Legend of Zelda, it would be a small cloth sack.
Old 15th June 2010, 08:30 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilmar View Post
do you know why it is a police box ?
The Tardis chameleon circuit (The device that blends it's look into it's surroundings) is faulty, leaving it locked in the shape of a 1950s-style London police box after a visit to London in 1963
Old 15th June 2010, 08:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Mr. Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonUser View Post
The only thing I'd be blatantly wanting to jump their bones is Karen Gillan if you know what I mean
Fix and done. XD
Old 16th June 2010, 03:20 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent View Post
The Tardis chameleon circuit (The device that blends it's look into it's surroundings) is faulty, leaving it locked in the shape of a 1950s-style London police box after a visit to London in 1963
Or that, I missed the first season.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:16 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Mdkcheatz:

I agree with you on almost everything. Zilmar has the right to do whatever he wants with his work, including calling a $20 software licence a "donation." It doesn't bother me: I gladly forked over the money to help support pj-64 development, but more importantly, to download 1.7.

A lot of the community gets quite upset about the donation system. That's understandable from their perspective, and while they have the right to get upset, it is Zilmar's option to do what he pleases. I have no issue with that.

Here's the problem: Notice that I said I donated to support pj 64 and to download 1.7. If Zilmar wants to call it a donation to help support pj64, then that's fine. However, as soon as someone exchanges money for a promise, it becomes a legal contract. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, it should be noted that Zilmar NEVER promised that if you donate he will finish Pj-64, etc. So there's no contract. But for many people, there's still the expectation, and rightfully so. That expectation is causing a LOT of the problems we see in the forums. Not that they really matter too much...Unless you want revenue from people who are pissed off. But then there's always ads, right?

This is why I think that just flat out admitting that you are selling 1.7 beta access for $20 would have been so much better. There wouldn't be near as much mess with an angry mob of a community if there wasn't the expectation put there in the first place. Now I know that Zilmar probably wanted to avoid any legal issues by selling an emulator, and that's his choice also. And I'm not saying that by calling it a donation instead of just selling proprietary software would have made everybody happy (in fact, quite the opposite). But I think that the levels of anger we are seeing in the general community would be a little less... pronounced.

So, with this in mind, we now have a pissed off community that feels like they are being ripped off. They have been told that eventually 1.7 will be released for free, but in the meantime (years.....), it remains accessible only to donators. And if anybody mentions that it's not really a donation, then they are quickly put in their place. (This would be a good time for me to add that I'm not really certain that if this went to court at this exact moment that calling it a "donation" would do much good. A court would probably look at the way it's set up and just decide that Zilmar was indeed selling 1.7 access...not that it's illegal to sell an emulator in the first place imo). So the community grudgingly accepts that those who donated will enjoy all this stuff that the ones who didn't donate can't have, but that in the far future they will get 1.7 for free because the donation system is set up to help Zilmar work on pj-64 and he has repeatedly stated that he wants to eventually release 1.7 for free, just like 1.6. But that day has been a long time in coming, fueling the fire that Zilmar is just taking donations as a way to generate "sales", but if any community member mentions this, again, they are harshly reminded that they are completely wrong and that it is strictly a donation system.

So what happens now? The community, dragging their heels, goes over to the download section to grab the free 1.6, and "BAM! WTF IS THIS SH*T?"

Again, please note that Zilmar has the 100% right to do all of this. I'm not arguing that he doesn't. But when you treat a community this poorly (even if it really was unintentional!), and then after soooo long they have just given up on 1.7, and then you make it so that they can barely even download the "free" version just so that you can generate more revenue.... it really just proves (in their minds anyways) that you're only out for money. Saying that you are throwing gasoline on an already burning fire is quite the understatement. By putting these quizes or whatever on the public 1.6 downloads page, you are assuring that whatever small amount of support you had is now gone. And you did have a little bit of support... I mean look at the threads that mentioned the ads! Everyone was saying that they were sure the site was hacked, and that it wasn't Zilmar's fault, that he's not out for money and he would never do something like that. And then Zilmar came out and admitted that he had indeed done it on purpose.

Sorry for the long post. Let me finish up. I agree 100% that Zilmar has the complete right to do everything that he's done. I know it probably doesn't sound like I believe that, but I really do. However, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about the whole ordeal. The community was on its last leg (really it was well past that but that's beside the point), and now Zilmar finished it off, intentionally or unintentionally. Yes, the ads will probably generate a lot of revenue, and they will hopefully allow Zilmar to finish his work. And the hardcore alpha and some beta testers will help Zilmar bug fix along the way. And by pissing all over everyone else, all the people who detract time from the project (by asking all sorts of questions that there just isn't enough time to answer anyway) will go away. So I guess it's really a win-win situation. And assuming you're not going to sell the final product, you really don't have to worry if you have a consumer base using pj-64 when it's finished or not, because you don't have to generate sales for a free product. If nobody uses it, then you haven't lost any more money then if the entire world used it.

I know this post came out more pointed then I wanted it to. I paid my $20 "purchase", I contributed to the dying community for awhile, I made a friend (in my mind anyways) with Mr. Swallow XD, and I got alpha access (thanks Zilmar!). I'm happy with everything, and I think the point is, even if I weren't happy, Zilmar would still be ok in my mind, because it's not his job to make me happy. I just hate to see people get hurt, and I know there have been a lot of people who have gotten hurt on the way, and the ads were just the final slap in the face. This is why politics is always so difficult: Good intention or bad intentions makes no difference...people will always riot against you if you don't have good PR skills, no matter how hard you try to make it right (which sometimes makes it worse). Zilmar is an excellent technician. And I don't think he's done anything wrong. I just think a little PR coaching along the way would have made a big difference on the community.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Good to see you again. I won't pass word on what you've said, because I've felt for this the same way you described. I think we share a fairly similar intuition.

Now anything to do with the struggles in mortality or physical desire has questions only for the leader hearing them. The unappreciated live as the forgotten have passed on.

Please by the way, the name's Clast -- Mr. Clast.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:45 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well hello... Mr. Clast. Long time no see! I really should stop by these boards more often, but you know, life calls lol. Thanks for your encouraging words.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:33 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Meh although I wouldn't say you've, missed much of anything except as an alpha tester you should know that a few more files have been released. Yeah though almost everyone I know...more recently myself beginning to be included by this...is just busy with life stuff. You're still the positive person I know, so it was good to read from you again.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:14 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Aw shucks, I'll work an that positive thing. There's already too much happiness in this world for me to continue contributing. Lol.

Thank you for the compliment!!!
After going back through and reading my post (I hadn't gotten any sleep when I posted it and I was still slightly perturbed), I realize that it really was more pointed then it should have been. However, I feel it did contain the spirit of the message I was meaning to convey, even if it was slightly more...sharp?..than it should have been. Still, I stand by my post. Or as Johnny Cash would say, "Well I won't back down, no I won't back down." XD

Hmmm yeh I stopped by to get the alpha files...it was quite a bit of work trying to grab all the latest files from everywhere. I'm probably just doing it wrong lol. I downloaded pj64 1.6, then extracted all the latest contents from the beta, overwriting all files that were already there. Then, I copied all the latest alpha files (read, newer creation date than beta files) over into the folder, overwriting files when needed. Perhaps it is a poor way of doing it, but hey, it worked lol.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah that's the way man. Perspective is infinite, so inventively adjusting to our own possibilities leaves a trace of light and truth for everything. Even aside from that, though, some directness is always needed, so all-in-all the intuitive intellectuality was worth the post.

God I feel like a dumbass spambot saying crap like that...but it's true anyway! ^_^

You did alright with the installation. Overwriting the old files just means some of the stable components of the beta package might be used in place of their newer beta counterparts, but the packages can be archived for backup anyway.

I've been feeling a little emotionally sick these past couple of weeks. I got like, one-inch diameter mosquito bumps across me today, cause my mom dragged me out to see the fireworks last night. Then she dragged me back in and drenched me with alcohol like AWWW POOR RJ!!