Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2010, 10:59 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilgeman View Post
...wow. Forgive me for not being in the emulation elite. Geez. -frown-

I posted the URL just for your convenience in case you wanted to send a request to the site to take down the links.

Given the generally-open nature of the emulation world, how was I supposed to know that the site wasn't just an official mirror for downloading your beta? I had used Project64 1.6 before and it wasn't quite SOP to check the Project64 site to see if the next beta version had suddenly become a $20 purchase (sorry, "mandatory donation").

I only realized the donation thing AFTER downloading and installing it, and when I came here to look for any help. I didn't expect to receive any official support (which is why I didn't post in the 1.6 or 1.7 boards but rather in the "Open Discussion" section) - just community recommendations on settings (e.g. "try turning this checkbox on"). Instead, I get a bunch of sarcastic feedback?

And for the record, I tried w/ Project64 1.6 OFFICIAL build and still had trouble, but honestly if this is the type of feedback I'm going to get (sarcasm and bad assumptions), just forget it.
you read a little.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 8th December 2010, 03:07 PM
Project Supporter

Well, if you need help with 1.6, ask for help with that. If you know you shouldn't be using 1.7, then don't use it anyway.
And I wasn't making fun of you, I was replying to Swellow's post ^_^
Old 8th December 2010, 03:24 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
...wow. Forgive me for not being in the emulation elite. Geez. -frown-

I posted the URL just for your convenience in case you wanted to send a request to the site to take down the links.

Given the generally-open nature of the emulation world, how was I supposed to know that the site wasn't just an official mirror for downloading your beta? I had used Project64 1.6 before and it wasn't quite SOP to check the Project64 site to see if the next beta version had suddenly become a $20 purchase (sorry, "mandatory donation").

I only realized the donation thing AFTER downloading and installing it, and when I came here to look for any help. I didn't expect to receive any official support (which is why I didn't post in the 1.6 or 1.7 boards but rather in the "Open Discussion" section) - just community recommendations on settings (e.g. "try turning this checkbox on"). Instead, I get a bunch of sarcastic feedback?

And for the record, I tried w/ Project64 1.6 OFFICIAL build and still had trouble, but honestly if this is the type of feedback I'm going to get (sarcasm and bad assumptions), just forget it.
Ok it is a very rare thing indeed for me to get involved with a thread such as this but...... it did kind of get my back up to be honest so i have made this exception... I must seriously get this point across because i got so sick and tired of explaining the finer detail of what 1.7 beta process is all about, that i just stopped getting involved...

Quote:
Project64 site to see if the next beta version had suddenly become a $20 purchase (sorry, "mandatory donation").
seriously wtf :| the donation is for a show of appreciation for the years of development of such a fine project and also the added bonus of getting donators of $20 a chance to be actively involved with the whole beta process. This also benefits the project from a end user point of view who happened to donate and be a part of it to such a degree that they willingly contributed to the final result. So it is no way a purchase of a emulator, nor is it a "pay Us and you get a beta" if i am fair and honest, i wish we never did it because of this attitude we have had to face on a daily basis with dumb arses demanding they have a right to have this or that fixed as they paid for it..... when in fact no one ask them to do anything and certainly never promised them anything in the process. Ok that is my rant over i am just very peed off with this attitude ok as for the nature of the thread, it has been summed up, there is no support for unofficial builds especially leaked ones.
Old 8th December 2010, 06:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

That just goes without saying. Not only that, but he got defensive over nothing.

It's not like he was being punished / yelled at for linking to a ROM site; it was just obligation to remove the post. And he thinks he's being attacked over it, when you guys were just doing what you had to do? Nobody said it's his fault or anything, he just started making assumptions and placing ownership of them to us.

Anyway, jhilgeman, I guess you were trying to say that you agree with what I said about your honesty in the thread. I'm not taking shots at you or anything, just saying that if you have issues with the official Project64 1.6 version (which you just said you do), then I'm happy to explore into them. This issue is not with the 1.6 version; it's a known effect of the hacked core in the cracked beta.

Last edited by HatCat; 8th December 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10th December 2010, 05:39 AM

#1. Project64 had always been free up to 1.6, just like all the other N64 emulators.

#2. BECAUSE OF #1, I had a reason to believe that I could download a new / beta version from a 3rd party site without thinking it was cracked.

It was only when I came to ask for general support that I read about the donation thing, at which point I made the REASONABLE assumption that some supporter had simply posted their copy of the beta, and that was what I had downloaded - nothing "cracked" about it.

The general attitude of the feedback I received made it seem like I had first come to the P64 site, discovered I couldn't get a beta without paying, and then went off in search of a copy I could get for free. That is why I posted the URL (I'm not disputing that you had to delete the URL - it was only posted as proof of where I had gotten it from in case you wanted to take action).

IMPORTANT: Again, I was not looking for official support. I was not looking for official support. Official support was not the type of support I was looking for.

I made all of this pretty clear, IMO, and I still get comments like "don't use cracked shit then" and Gent talking about people "demanding" things be fixed, which I did not do. I was asking for recommendations on settings.

I did not ask for official support, nor was I demanding something be fixed, otherwise I would have posted in the appropriate 1.6 or 1.7 forums.

Gent:
I understand the reasoning behind why you want the donation, I do. That said, I don't understand why you're -surprised- about the negative reactions:

1. Take anything that has traditionally been free, and then change it up so that you have to pay ANYTHING (even a penny), and people will complain. I know you distinguish between versions, but to your visitors, it's all Project64, and they have to pay to get the newest functionality.

2. Testing a beta is usually of benefit to the developer at the cost of the user (e.g. the user's computer could sustain damage if relatively-untested code malfunctions and deletes an important system file), which is why betas are often the releases that are free, anyway. So in this case, the user is not only taking a risk, they have to pay money to do so. (I know you don't see it that way, but your average visitor probably does)

3. The general message is that 1.7 (when out of beta) will probably be free like 1.6. So not only is someone experiencing the "why-pay-for-a-beta" in #2, but they're also probably additionally wondering, "-when-it-will-be-free-later"

Chances are you would have been better off having the beta be free and the final 1.7 (and RCs leading up to the final) cost $20 (or whatever most people are willing to pay - it may be easier to get many more donations of smaller amounts). Then provide an incentive for beta testers to get the final version for free if they are helpful enough during the testing process.

Again, I'm not demanding anything - I'm just commenting on your surprise and the model that you chose here.

All this said, all I was looking for was recommendations on how to get these games playable on any emulator. Someone had mentioned 1964 for New Tetris - that's exactly the type of response I was looking for. It didn't need to be on Project64 emulators, but since I was using that version, I figured that might be a good place to get recommendations on settings for the emulator.
Old 10th December 2010, 02:10 PM
Project Supporter

Well 1.7 isn't exactly the "latest functionality". Being a beta, it's still in beta mode, therefore it's bound to be pretty unstable. WhatI don't get is why people are saying they need 1.7 when it's still being worked on. I think it would have been better if Zilmar had only told those he really trusted and gave them the beta for testing, and then release it to the world only when it was finished But that's just me.

What I heard was:
"I downloaded it because of common sense (Editors note: Common sense is Jerk) but later I realized that I had to donate to get the beta (Editor's note: see paragraph 1. 1.6 is the latest full version and works quite well. The only reason people want it is because they think they have to have the latest whatevers. Take iphones for example.). But, being that I didn't know that I shouldn't be using this when I started using it, that makes it okay for me to use it.

Even though you knew that you had to donate, you just kept using it? I've only seen noobs and little pouty kids do that. I'm not saying you are one of those two, but that's all that I've seen do those kind of things.

Oh and if you took this:

"ya halp plz i hav file not no wut it is oar wut it doz oher wear i gott it frum plz halp!!!!
I'm gonna start a riot!!! "

to be having been aimed at you it wasn't. I was making a joke off of what Swellow said.

Last edited by Experiment #150; 10th December 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10th December 2010, 04:00 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The donation system has been up and running since 2005, we're not the least bit surprised as one of these kinds of threads pops up at least every few months.
If you detect anything it's probably irritation that we have to keep on repeating ourselves.

Everyone has an opinion on the current system and everyone offers their own idea for how to improve it but no one has actually stepped up and said "Hey! I want to change this! I'm willing to spend at least 20 hours of my week on Project 64 to make it better."

As you can imagine few people show this level of commitment due to real life issues such as work, family, and having any kind of social life.
The donation system exists as a way for people to show support for Project 64 when they just can't spend large amounts of time helping to develop Project 64.

Project 64 has always had closed betas during development.
This time it's not different, we're just giving donators the option to opt in since they've made a monetary donation.
It's more of a gift for donating, but think what you will about that, a person is allowed to have their own opinions and make their own decisions.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: Again, I was not looking for official support. I was not looking for official support. Official support was not the type of support I was looking for.
I'm confused here...
These are the official Project 64 forums, run by what remains of the official Project 64 support team.
Why would you think you're not asking for official support?
These forums exists to give people a place to come to when they've got problems they'd like us to investigate and hopefully fix.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek ALC889A
Old 10th December 2010, 06:09 PM
Project Supporter

Yeah I wondered about that as well... hmm.. maybe he figured that the general discussion was for unofficial stuff, since 1.6 has it's faq and help page, and 1.7 has it's pages...
Old 11th December 2010, 01:00 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It should also be safe to PM links and stuff to a moderator or group member.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:19 AM
Project Supporter

Is it not?
Closed Thread