Old 11th March 2011, 08:18 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

Default Improving the forum

Was talking to jabo a little about the forum.

One of the thoughts was to create a new forum where you could be a bit more silly/spammy in and any posts that are going off topic/being spammy/silly outside that forum be deleted.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions to impove the forums here.
Old 11th March 2011, 08:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Not interested.

Apparently RadeonUser must have spread his corrupt interpretation of the spam problem to the moderator discussion forum, which I saw Jabo viewing.

We have been over this before, and my negotiation stands.
I will quite happily stop posting so much in every thread so as not to contribute to any source of Nate or possibly others spamming, which has happened with only 3 threads that RadeonUser was able to cite in the past few months, (Or they were in the Open Discussion forum which RadeonUser told me was fine.) under the small condition that this hateful senile misjudgement is stopped.

If anybody here wants a feature like that, then it's time somebody started backing up their claims validly about this "massive community-wide spamming". I already know about the Site News thread that Jabo closed; that was the 3rd and most recent example of majority-comprised off-topic messaging in the past 4 months.

Last edited by HatCat; 11th March 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

RadeonUser isn't a hateful person!

he just has this issue against rampant idiocy.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 12th March 2011, 12:32 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Actually I think RadeonUser has been a very tolerant person.

He also reads things a little better than you do, or you'd notice that addressing deformed or hateful judgement by persons doesn't define the persons themselves to be hateful, only a component therein.

And you can deny your instincts against the rampant idiocy you see in most threads, inclusive of the spamming I keep doing every time I happen to be helping someone with information (even if alongside a conversation with Nate), but it doesn't change the fact that you have them.
Old 12th March 2011, 01:40 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

I was not blaming or suggesting anything .. it is more if you did want to do that then it has a place to go .. there is no really good place on the forum to do that at the moment.

More looking at how to make this place better for everyone.

A thread should stick to the main topic/question and not go off topic, which I know posts do at times, to far off topic tho should have a new thread created instead.
Old 12th March 2011, 02:09 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I didn't accuse you of blaming anyone; my inference still stands that you have been misinformed.

I also asked anyone who favors this idea to backup these claims of a spam problem on the forum. I've said this already: There have not been that many non-Open-Discussion-forum threads which have sailed off-topic non-momentarily. Jabo has already dealt with some of the few counterexamples.

Unless you would like to dictate that Open Discussion threads (which have the point to discuss of anything you like here) should have a topic constantly upheld throughout each thread (not just ones asking for help or in active use by a person), which makes sense because even social threads probably don't best move to other subjects even if active members are no longer interested. Because that's almost the only forum with off-topic posting. Otherwise you simply ignore my point.

I also don't disagree with having this new forum you suggest, just stand without interest of it. I don't find it needed so much, but I welcome anyone who deems otherwise to execute the idea.
Old 13th March 2011, 06:49 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Project64 Team

As everyone here seems to agree it was mostly just a lack of moderation, with a few tasteless posts thrown in, a bit far cry away from anything else. I'm not sure anyone claimed Armageddon was happening and I hope we can move away from it or criticizing people that take pride in the project, no one is being attacked here, just an opportunity to communicate better.

From the feedback here it would seem that no one is in favor of having a spam forum, and perhaps that need is already filled by this forum - Open Discussion. Both of us are trying to make sure can avoid filtering if possible, but it sounds like everyone is doing well now.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:13 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I do appreciate in particular that you guys have looked at this. Yes the other moderators haven't been as active, though aside from that it seems more a general trend that things are done more peacefully when either of you look to take matters into your own hands.

I would have preferred if I was blamed for the spamming, however, over any naive obsession with the Armageddon-type idea that RadeonUser perceived. In his words, this forum is "a community that does not care to, understand, or know how to make on-topic posts," but excluding this counterexample I've never seen anyone have a problem with spamming here ever since before Mr. zilmar designed the plug-in to filter advertisements. I suppose some moderators naturally feel a need to be more civil and effective than others, to say the least.

Still curious about the results of the spam forum idea, although I've yet to think it will be useful. As you've said there is just a continuous chain of occasional tasteless posts or those attacking the current nature of Project64 or its developers. Since the information in such posts are obsolete and contribute to nothing, the posts themselves are obsolete.
Old 14th March 2011, 07:02 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Icon what exactly is your problem with me?
I have all but left these forums to pursue other projects and you are still trying to pin some kind of blame on me.
I would not even have known about these posts if it wasn't for Gent mentioning it to me.

I did not in any way influence Jabo or Zilmar into making this thread.
All I did was simply voice my reasons for why I am not visiting this place any longer.
Jabo took it upon himself to have a talk with Zilmar on the state of things.
No matter how "corrupt" you believe my interpretation of the spam problem to be I am not all powerful and I do not have control over Jabo.

So kindly leave me out of any of these "talks of armageddon" as I have quite frankly stopped caring.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek ALC889A
Old 14th March 2011, 09:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I never said you directly influenced the idea in this thread. Actually I doubt you had anything to do with this specific idea.

I also didn't mention you in this thread all that much, except for my response to squall's assuming I was talking shit about you.

As for the "Armageddon" noun, I used that term from Jabo's post, but I was talking about the past. I never said you still cared, just referenced as to when you did. That was the closest thing to suggesting me having blamed you for any of this.

Last edited by HatCat; 14th March 2011 at 09:40 PM.